• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

gg 4.2 Rate Topic: -----

idc

#41 User is offline   beautifulNihilist Icon

•   verified user   

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:59 PM

View PostFrankie V, on 10 August 2013 - 07:50 PM, said:

Yeah 4.2 is in part a different game than 4.1 not because of feature additions but due to a lot of thinks in 4.1 being fixed and working they way they should and is in part why a lot of skilled players are having their ass kicked by new players because “they” are playing the game in a manner the should produce a winning game.

If we want to attract new players to the game this is what has to happen as my first experience playing UrT, as new to the game and not to FPS, was WTF!!!

Bullseye.

This post has been edited by beautifulNihilist: 10 August 2013 - 08:00 PM

#42 User is offline   Noxtty8 Icon

• Account: noxtty8

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:27 PM

Seriously, I didn't read everything, but I think there's way too much attention given to that post :/

#44 User is offline   beautifulNihilist Icon

•   verified user   

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:58 PM

Now that we have successfully crashed this train, I'd like to point out all of the things that I love about the new animations.

The balance in character height is level, rational, trackable, and balanced for gameplay:
when crouched behind a box [camel corner/Algiers] while crouched your head is hidden, when crouched and moving you pop up just enough to be hit.
Standing players remain the same height while firing, strafing, dancing, smoking, and chewing gum.
Crouched players do not jump-up-and-die.

I can tell where you're aiming:
Even though there is a touch of an 'idle' weapon hold pose, I can always tell where the enemy crosshair is pointed. I don't care if there's an idle pose I can always tell where the enemy crosshair is pointed.

Teleport:
The animations themselves do not teleport (any more than 4.1 animations, anyway) on smooth servers, a fluctuating 50-250 ping always looks like a slideshow. Transitions are not perfectly human-like, they are more jerky than 4.1.

I like the new death animations, I can tell the moment of death. I see a thread for the old headshot death animation; I like how smooth the animation was before, I like how definite it is now.

While there doesn't seem to be "turtling", hiding is generally an easier task as non moving players take up a smaller cat-like amount of room, though moving, firing, acting takes up more space and dissolves the hide. This is the biggest gameplay change I see. Have not seen this break anything yet. I don't dislike it.

Are the animations more spastic than 4.1? yes, but I got used to it.
Are the 4.2 animations easier to compare to specific, diagnosable, neurological impairments? If that's where your head goes... yes I can see that.

Everything in the animations that ever made gameplay an issue for me has been remedied, all that is left are nitpicks, flavor, and new/specifics like the Colt1911. Some things happen differently.
Quake 3 is an UGLY game. I am satisfied with the aesthetics of this current incarnation of Urban Terror. I can see room for improvement, but pretty much solely on visuals/prettiness... smoothness. I do not give a shit how it looks, but how it plays.

Oh, I'm sure we'll find some things that break somewhere. I'm not optimistic, just satisfied.
I've heard the argument "the 4.1 animations aren't any less off or weird" and at this release I can agree to this. Neither 4.1 nor 4.2 has more "realistic" feeling movements, one feels like I'm on the moon and one is more spastic. Both serve the gameplay equally in their own ways. One takes hits in the visibly opaque areas and one in the surrounding aether.

4.1 is a different game from 4.2.001 is a different game from 4.2.014, and pretty significantly. The animations are a great deal of the differences as any changes made to the targets in a target shooting game are going to be.

4.2 is supposed to be a progression from 4.1?
At this point, yes, I'd say that it is certainly improvement from 4.1. There are enough advances made that any remaining stink about the animations doesn't weigh enough to me to keep me in 4.1. I haven't seen any game breaking bugs for a while.
In 4.2 I am having more fun, experiencing huge leaps less WTF?! concerning gunfights, experiencing smoother gameplay with /com_processpriority 11, and I haven't seen a hacker for a year.

And with that, you sweet adorable trolls, you may have your thread back.
I think the greatest part of 4.2 just may be that you're not in it anyway.

#45 User is offline   Loveofthedark Icon

•   verified user   

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:33 AM

Just my measly .02 cents.

I like 4.2 for the most part. I still have to play it awhile and get used to it, and I still go back to 4.1 sometimes just for the fact that it does feel different to me and that's what I'm used to. I can't really pinpoint what it is that feels different. It's kind of like having 2 manual transmission cars, and the stick is just a little different in each one, but they both do the same thing.

No complaints.

I have noticed a LOT of warping and lag in 4.2 the past couple days, but I don't know if that's just me or everyone. Not sure whats up with that, but 4.1 does it sometimes too.

*shrug*
I think you guys are doing a good job.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#46 User is offline   gizmokaka Icon

• Account: gizmokaka

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:35 PM

I play UrT since the 4.1 release and i've been waiting for years for the 4.2.
The first version of 4.2 were pain in the *ss for most 4.1 players relatives of mine, but they all agree now that the 4.2 is waaaaaaay better than 4.1.

The minor bugs we face remind us that this is a work in progress,
you guys have to be patient and being confident that FS delivers
a great game. That takes time, taken on the developers free time,
of which i am very grateful.

Thanks and keep up the good work, folks!

#47 User is offline   crimzon Icon

• Account: crimzon
  • Main tag: ]h3[

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:28 PM

View PostMajkiFajki, on 08 August 2013 - 01:15 PM, said:

I love those "u suck" threads :D

Haha ouh yes :D

#48 User is offline   thelionroars Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: thelionroars

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:51 AM

In light of the recent release of people caught cheating - lol, pwned.

This post has been edited by thelionroars: 19 August 2013 - 01:15 AM

#49 User is offline   Tranc3r Icon

• Account: tranc3r

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:05 PM

View Posthaduzz, on 08 August 2013 - 12:34 PM, said:

kthxbai

From the real fans of UrT!

This post has been edited by Tranc3r: 19 August 2013 - 10:13 PM

- Bass in yo' face!

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942