Urban Terror Forums: Which game updates could help UrT rise from the ashes? - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Which game updates could help UrT rise from the ashes? Rate Topic: -----

Suggestions and discussion regarding what new players might expect

#11 User is offline   iynque Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: iynque
  • Main tag:

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:48 PM

View Postthelionroars, on 25 February 2014 - 03:30 AM, said:

One I've been curious about, does anyone use E for sprint?

I do, but I'm not very good at this game :P ...and I have to do some deeply weird and emotionally scarring things to my keyboard on jump maps when I push forward (w), sprint (e), and crouch (c ) at the same time, while still trying to control myself with the mouse and hit spacebar to jump.

View PostRangina, on 25 February 2014 - 12:54 AM, said:

- Add basic (yet very UrT specific) key binds to the default config: Kevlar/Flag drop

In 4.2 you can at least select the flag and drop it like any other item (I don't think that worked in 4.1). So the normal method of select item > drop item is already in the default binds and works for both of these items. Still, adding "drop flag" as a bindable item to the GUI menus would be an improvement. Instead of trying to tell people "Type /bind x ut_itemdrop flag in console" during gameplay, you could just say, "It's in the menu, under controls."

View PostRangina, on 25 February 2014 - 12:54 AM, said:

- Set Smallergun as default
- Set FOV to 110

These make things "look weird" and probably aren't terribly important to new players. No one is going to abandon UrT after their first game because the guns are too big or the FOV is too narrow. It's probably true that just about everybody sets them this way anyway, but if we're talking about new players, it's probably better to introduce them to the game with "normal" sized guns and "normal" FOV without distortions.
___

What I have to explain to people all the time and what I just did not understand when I started playing (I used a G36 for like a year before I knew you could just change it), is that you can just select the weapons you want (you don't have to find them and pick them up), and that you can make those selections in player setup, and you can change your selections every time you spawn. This needs to be explained in a video or somehow added to the introductory tutorial demo. Too many newbies just don't know how to get different guns or where people are finding grenade launchers and sniper rifles. I can easily imagine someone playing their first game of UrT thinking they only get to use a G36 (or whatever the default is now) and "...well maybe I have to level up or something to get new guns..."

This post has been edited by iynque: 27 February 2014 - 08:51 PM

|FA|iynque 😈 Fallin-Angels

#12 User is offline   Fredrik Icon

•   verified donor   
  • Account: fredrik

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:23 AM

View Postiynque, on 27 February 2014 - 08:48 PM, said:

I have to do some deeply weird and emotionally scarring things to my keyboard on jump maps when I push forward (w), sprint (e), and crouch (c ) at the same time, while still trying to control myself with the mouse and hit spacebar to jump.
I think that with the layout you use, "shift" would be better for crouching.

It would be great if we could have layout presets. one based on wasd, esdf and idk if left hands use different layouts but if so a layout for that too.

#13 User is offline   Orbit Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: orbit

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:18 PM

View Postiynque, on 27 February 2014 - 08:48 PM, said:

I do, but I'm not very good at this game :P ...and I have to do some deeply weird and emotionally scarring things to my keyboard on jump maps when I push forward (w), sprint (e), and crouch (c ) at the same time, while still trying to control myself with the mouse and hit spacebar to jump.

The default binds feels like masochism.
I use arrow keys area. Posted Image

bind ENTER "+moveup"
bind DEL "+movedown"
bind UPARROW "+forward"
bind DOWNARROW "+back"
bind LEFTARROW "+moveleft"
bind RIGHTARROW "+moveright"
bind SHIFT "+button8"
bind AUX1 "+speed"

#14 User is offline   Rangina Icon

• Account: rangina
  • Main tag: |O_o|

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:31 AM

Spoiler

#15 User is offline   saint Icon

•   community admin   
    www.urban-terror.fr
  • Account: saint
  • Main tag: pwnie.

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:58 PM

Any information could be released about the changes FS may operate on the menus ?

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   tupp Icon

• Account: tupp

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:17 PM

I think there really should be a tab in the main menu saying "Info". When it is clicked, a screen with all the weapons/equipment shows up and each has their own table of stats, and a few sentences about what that specific item does. What it is good for, what it isn't, and best times to use it. Example:

ZM LR300 is a mid-range assault rifle dealing moderate amounts of damage, and is fairly accurate. It is a very good all-round weapon, used for either spraying tons of bullets close-range, or picking off people farther away.

Tips:
-ZM LR300 is usually called the "LR" or "LR300" in game.
-LR300 works well with the laser sight, helmet and kevlar vest.
-Picking a secondary weapon with the LR is not recommended due to it's high rate of fire and damage being better than any secondary weapon.
-Try to keep your spread as low as possible: Shoot in small bursts of 3-5.

Keep in mind:
-After about 4 shots, the LR300 will become inaccurate over long ranges.
-It takes an average of 4-5 hits to kill someone with the LR300.

Stats:
damages

rate of fire

laser/silencer allowed?

firemodes?

For the record, I agree with all changes you suggested except making FOV 110 by default.

FOV is all preference, and although you can see much more around you, it also distorts the world, and I can't stand that (Along with a lot of other people) So I think it should be up to the player to figure out what they like the most.

One last point - I liked how there was a demo "tutorial" which said stuff about the mechanics of the game. What if there were a bunch of tutorials like "How to 'circle jump' ", "Opening doors, turning off TAC, and setting your gun to burst mode", "Settings/options explained", "Using grenades" etc..

These would have really helped me when learning how to play.

This post has been edited by tupp: 02 March 2014 - 11:26 PM

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942