• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

A seemingly insurmountable problem Rate Topic: -----

#41 Guest_Caffeine

Posted 05 February 2006 - 07:50 PM

I don't really see the issue with GUIDs being passed to servers. Ok, so someone could track that information.

As I've already stated (sigh... when will people learn to read through the thread before responding?), I have no problem with idsoftware and Even Balance tracking me. I do have a problem with server admins allowing anyone who desires to set up a GUID database to track me, however.

Ultimately if you don't want to give out your GUID, don't play on public servers.

I already stated ... forget it.

The PB information and mechanisms aren't likely to change, and in any case, this is the wrong forum to discuss such items. EB are the ones who you should discuss any changes to PB, and Server Setup or Urban Terror Discussion would be a bit more on topic in regards to server configuration changes. By the fact that more and more servers are using PB seems to make your suggestion of ditching it a non-starter.

The reason I'm discussing it here is that I wanted to gauge people's reactions and maybe gain some new perspective. I don't think I'll get what I want here, though.

I can read just fine. You're worried that someone somewhere knows something about you, and their tracking you with it. That sounds familiar... I know it! You don't have a credit card, do you? Because, you know, they track that...

Is there a public database of credit transactions tied to credit card numbers? No? I thought not.

No sense of humor, eh? *sigh*

;) <--- This exists for a reason.

And for the record, I support runDMC and what it does.

Well, I don't.

I support EB and what they are trying to accomplish.

I'm fine with their primary goal, which is to stop [casual] cheaters. My problem lies with the tracking being done by people who have no business doing it (and profiting from it, since they have banner ads for example).

I do not suffer fools lightly.

Nor do I, which is why I'm leaving. It's rather obvious that I and my ideas are not welcome here. That's too bad, since I really do like UrT, but the people who are responsible for this mod that I enjoy ... well, they've driven me away. I wish you good luck in the future; you'll need it.

#42 User is offline   Kr0m Icon

•   former FS member   
    Lead Forums Administrator
  • Account: kr0m

Posted 05 February 2006 - 08:15 PM

Caffeine, I see the point you're trying to make with the privacy thing, I really do. This is truely something that has to brought up to with Even Balance, not SID/FS. If you're looking for support behind this idea from Urban Terror server admins, then fine.
You might want to start talking to server admins from the rest of the 17+ other games with countless mods that EB supports as well as numerous sites dedicated to anti-cheating behaviour that utilize PB before going in single handedly against EB & requesting changes to their setup.

Personally, I support the current setup. Unfortunately due to the dipsticks in the gaming community, such things are needed by server admins, league admins & players in order to atleast try to combat such dipshits & their tactics.
Why you wonder? Well for 1 example, since tracking sites like rundmc track GUIDs, it's easy to find out who that 'dipstick' really is that's in your server causing trouble. On sites like guiddb.org (when it's working properly), you can find out if someone has been previously caught using cheats (known by PB) before you recruit them into your clan (not finding out until after you've recruited them and then they get kicked by a global PB ban during a match truely sucks) or who that 'aliased' person was that got kicked from your server by PB.

The reason I'm discussing it here is that I wanted to gauge people's reactions and maybe gain some new perspective. I don't think I'll get what I want here, though.

Erm, You ARE getting what you wanted. You are getting our reactions on such a topic.
Good luck with finding support with your ideas in other PB enabled games, "you'll need it".

PS. Threatening people on a personal level won't get you anywheres either , so you might want to change you're approach to people if you wish to gain support when trying to change things in communities you have no control over.

#43 User is offline   FragginNewby (old) Icon

• LocationKilladelphia, PA

Posted 05 February 2006 - 08:57 PM

[quote name='"Caffeine"][quote="Fraggin'Newby"]illogical' date=' that is probably one of the funniest posts I've ever read that had a clear and succinct and deliberate point to it - and a point that was completely on topic, too! Outstanding, young man. :D[/quote']
You're joking, right?[/quote]
uh, nope. Frankly, I think you're making a big deal out of nothing. Info could be garnered before PB came out, it's not like someone opened this giant security hole in your system with the advent of PB and its installation on your rig. :?

#44 User is offline   HoboHumpinSlut (old) Icon

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:40 PM

after all mr caffenine definitely accepted EB's EULA, which means he was fine with it at that time....

#45 User is offline   MrSentry Icon

• Account: mrsentry
  • Main tag: 6th|

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:47 PM

w0w if some people had just half the brain power as illogical and sense enough to make comprehensable conversation with it. they be in politics!

illogical for the win!

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#46 User is offline   dennis (old) Icon

Posted 26 February 2006 - 10:11 AM

Now at least I won't be globally tracked by parties other than ID. As it is' date=' if you play on PB servers, you may be tracked by ID (strictauth), Even Balance (PB), server admins, and private or public PB GUID databases (public ones being GuidDB.org and runDMC.se/guids/). The kind of data being collected is: PB GUIDs, IP addresses, aliases used, and time data for how long you run Q3 and play on server x.

Remove the pb folder if you feel uncomfortable with giving out your GUID.

#47 User is offline   illogical Icon

•   verified user   
    Retired Master Server Administrator
  • Account: illogical
  • Main tag: 6th|

Posted 26 February 2006 - 03:06 PM

...they be in politics!

You don't want me in politics for the same reason you do, I kill every single "politician". I hate them, I really do.

#48 User is offline   Hybridesque (old) Icon

• LocationBradford, UK

Posted 26 February 2006 - 03:14 PM

You're not the only one.

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.urbanterror.info/members/donate/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942