• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

A seemingly insurmountable problem Rate Topic: -----

#31 Guest_Caffeine

Posted 05 February 2006 - 07:01 AM

Odd how this guy is the only person I've EVER seen complain about this.

Well, I'm certainly not the only one who's ever voiced a dissenting opinion about it. Why, then, don't you see many non-cheaters arguing about it? Probably because most people a) aren't aware that it's happening, b) don't care if they do know, or c) want it.

Like I told you in IRC, not ALL servers are linked to the tracker.

I never disputed that. My problem is with the servers that ARE reporting to a GUID database (public or private). I have no way of knowing which ones are reporting to private databases. That's one of the reasons why I've decided not to play on PB servers any more.

Sites like these are important to server admins, league admins as well as other players. IMO, it'd be better to have sites like these open to the public for all to see.

What are some of the reasons why people need GUID databases?

Here's the list of servers for you to fear: http://www.rundmc.se...put_servers.php

I don't "fear" them. I simply don't want to play on them.

There's still a few servers around that aren't running PB, hit those up.

I have been and plan to continue doing so. Still, the problem with sticking to non-PB servers is that there aren't enough.

Unless your're some 4 day old newb to the community, how could you NOT know about sites like rundmc and guiddb that have been around for ages...

I've known about GuidDB for years. However, only recently have I found enough reasons to actually start trying to do something about such databases. The strongest incentive is a technologically superior but PB-incompatible client with features that I've wanted (not only in Q3, but in every 3D game for Linux) for a long time. That's a pretty damn strong incentive.

If it's not one thing it's another. Please tell my what your next objective is so I can prepare for it.

Are you required to respond? :shock:

#32 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 05 February 2006 - 07:53 AM

I'd rather play with cheaters than play with people who willingly allow their gaming habits to be tracked by multiple parties.

"I'd rather compete with dopped athletes than athletes that willingly give their name and piss for testing."

#33 Guest_Caffeine

Posted 05 February 2006 - 08:30 AM

I'd rather play with cheaters than play with people who willingly allow their gaming habits to be tracked by multiple parties.

"I'd rather have dopped athletes than athletes that willingly give their name and piss for testing."

Well, okay, maybe that statement was a bit harsh. But really, there's no reason why PB can't work like this:

(Non-Cheat Banning)
Server to EB: I don't want clientID X to play here any more; please ban it for Y amount of time.
EB to PB client: Sorry, you've been banned. Disconnecting.

(Connecting)
PB client to EB: Connecting to server X. Is that a problem?
EB to PB client: You're banned from server X. Sorry.

In the above scenarios, no "globally unique identifier" ever gets sent to the server. Even Balance would assign one, but not make it available.

As for authentication, I don't see why EB can't have two different PB modes, one without the GUID leakage and one with it for those match admins who think they need it. I'm thinking that it's even possible to do this without a new idQ3 PR.

Anyways, I'm off to bed.

#34 User is offline   illogical Icon

•   verified user   
    Retired Master Server Administrator
  • Account: illogical
  • Main tag: 6th|

Posted 05 February 2006 - 11:09 AM

Wow, you really have no idea how PB communicates, do you? The actual PB client only talks to the PB server on the game server you're connected to. The PB server talks to EB as needed (ie. for clan tag registrations). Yes, it is a horrible truth that the PB scans your system's memory for hacks. No, it does not send the chunk of memory it finds to the server or EB, it simply tells the server that it found a match and what it matched. Screenshots are of the game window only. Never is any personal information transmitted to the PB server or EB.

For the record, GUID's can not link you to your street address. Tracking your GUID, IP, player name, and play time can not link you to your street address (unless you are playing from a SWIP'd IP allocation which properly lists all contact information, but in that casen ANY web activity could be linked right back to you).

So let's try something. Me. I have no fear of people knowing who I am, so I provide certain services to this community, namely a master server and a scanner. We do some hunting...

illogical@oneill ~ $ dig master.urbanterror.net

; <<>> DiG 9.2.5 <<>> master.urbanterror.net
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 33845
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;master.urbanterror.net.                IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
master.urbanterror.net. 86400   IN      A       64.62.148.94

;; Query time: 52 msec
;; SERVER: 65.19.175.2#53(65.19.175.2)
;; WHEN: Sun Feb  5 03:55:52 2006
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 56

Now that we know the IP address we can check out who the allocation owner is.

illogical@oneill ~ $ jwhois 64.62.148.94
[Querying whois.arin.net]
[whois.arin.net]
Hurricane Electric HURRICANE-4 (NET-64-62-128-0-1)
                                  64.62.128.0 - 64.62.255.255
Jeff Walter HURRICANE-CE1347-431 (NET-64-62-148-64-1)
                                  64.62.148.64 - 64.62.148.95

# ARIN WHOIS database, last updated 2006-02-04 19:10
# Enter ? for additional hints on searching ARIN's WHOIS database.

What we have here is the main block owner, Hurricane Electric, and the sub-delegated block owner, Jeff Walter. Still not enough information, we want it all...

illogical@oneill ~ $ jwhois NET-64-62-148-64-1
[Querying whois.arin.net]
[whois.arin.net]

CustName:   Jeff Walter
Address:    42657 Newport Drive
City:       Fremont
StateProv:  CA
PostalCode: 94538
RegDate:    2004-04-28
Updated:    2004-04-28

NetRange:   64.62.148.64 - 64.62.148.95
CIDR:       64.62.148.64/27
NetName:    HURRICANE-CE1347-431
NetHandle:  NET-64-62-148-64-1
Parent:     NET-64-62-128-0-1
NetType:    Reassigned
Comment:
RegDate:    2004-04-28
Updated:    2004-04-28

RTechHandle: ZH17-ARIN
RTechName:   Hurricane Electric
RTechPhone:  +1-510-580-4100
RTechEmail:  hostmaster@he.net

OrgAbuseHandle: ABUSE1036-ARIN
OrgAbuseName:   Abuse Department
OrgAbusePhone:  +1-510-580-4100
OrgAbuseEmail:  abuse@he.net

OrgTechHandle: ZH17-ARIN
OrgTechName:   Hurricane Electric
OrgTechPhone:  +1-510-580-4100
OrgTechEmail:  hostmaster@he.net

# ARIN WHOIS database, last updated 2006-02-04 19:10
# Enter ? for additional hints on searching ARIN's WHOIS database.

Now that wasn't too difficult, but I don't care if people can figure this out. I wonder what I could find for you...

Your paranoia is both entertaining and annoying at the same time. I would recommend a tin foil hat, and getting your thetan levels checked. Right...

#35 User is offline   FragginNewby (old) Icon

• LocationKilladelphia, PA

Posted 05 February 2006 - 12:17 PM

illogical, that is probably one of the funniest posts I've ever read that had a clear and succinct and deliberate point to it - and a point that was completely on topic, too! Outstanding, young man. :D

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#36 Guest_Caffeine

Posted 05 February 2006 - 06:02 PM

Wow, you really have no idea how PB communicates, do you?

Do you have a reading comprehension problem? Here's what I stated:

"there's no reason why PB can't work like this:"

Did I state that PB does work like that? No. I stated that there's no reason why it can't work like that.

[snipped a bunch of stuff that I already knew and never disputed.]

What the hell is your problem, illogical? You can't make reasoned responses to my arguments, so you just go off on unrelated tangents and attack me personally? Impressive.

Now that wasn't too difficult, but I don't care if people can figure this out. I wonder what I could find for you...

Ah, the fine art of argument-by-blackmail. "I can't come up with valid arguments, so I'll just dig up personal information on you and use it as leverage to get you to shut up."

Your paranoia is both entertaining and annoying at the same time. I would recommend a tin foil hat, and getting your thetan levels checked. Right...

If the UrT forums had an ignore feature, I'd certainly make use of it to ignore you. Try reading what I write next time before replying with completely ridiculous and irrelevant tripe. Until that happens, I'm just going to pretend that you don't exist.

#37 Guest_Caffeine

Posted 05 February 2006 - 06:15 PM

[quote name='"Fraggin'Newby"]illogical' date=' that is probably one of the funniest posts I've ever read that had a clear and succinct and deliberate point to it - and a point that was completely on topic, too! Outstanding, young man. :D[/quote']
You're joking, right?

#38 User is offline   Trolan (old) Icon

• LocationMilpitas, CA

Posted 05 February 2006 - 06:38 PM

[quote name='"Caffeine"][quote="Fraggin'Newby"]illogical' date=' that is probably one of the funniest posts I've ever read that had a clear and succinct and deliberate point to it - and a point that was completely on topic, too! Outstanding, young man. :D[/quote']
You're joking, right?[/quote]

No, I don't think he is. I think he got the point, and it was somewhere over your head.

I don't really see the issue with GUIDs being passed to servers. Ok, so someone could track that information. Who is this someone you're worried about? Ultimately if you don't want to give out your GUID, don't play on public servers. There's an order of give or take here. They see your GUID, you get to play on their server. There's zero right to play, it's a privilege.

The PB information and mechanisms aren't likely to change, and in any case, this is the wrong forum to discuss such items. EB are the ones who you should discuss any changes to PB, and Server Setup or Urban Terror Discussion would be a bit more on topic in regards to server configuration changes. By the fact that more and more servers are using PB seems to make your suggestion of ditching it a non-starter.

#39 User is offline   illogical Icon

•   verified user   

Posted 05 February 2006 - 06:50 PM

Do you have a reading comprehension problem? Here's what I stated:

"there's no reason why PB can't work like this:"

Did I state that PB does work like that? No. I stated that there's no reason why it can't work like that.

I can read just fine. You're worried that someone somewhere knows something about you, and their tracking you with it. That sounds familiar... I know it! You don't have a credit card, do you? Because, you know, they track that...

What the hell is your problem, illogical? You can't make reasoned responses to my arguments, so you just go off on unrelated tangents and attack me personally? Impressive.

Not going to dignify this with a response.

Ah, the fine art of argument-by-blackmail. "I can't come up with valid arguments, so I'll just dig up personal information on you and use it as leverage to get you to shut up."

No sense of humor, eh? *sigh*

If the UrT forums had an ignore feature, I'd certainly make use of it to ignore you. Try reading what I write next time before replying with completely ridiculous and irrelevant tripe. Until that happens, I'm just going to pretend that you don't exist.

I suppose you'll be requesting that next?

As for the whole "80% of servers run PB", I just happen to have a database of all the servers with all sorts of fun information about them. Things like PB/Pure statistics broken down by game type (and totals of course). So for those of you who are interested, it is readily available. I have no percentages, but you can figure those out with a calculator.

And for the record, I support runDMC and what it does. I support EB and what they are trying to accomplish. I do not suffer fools lightly.

Good day.

#40 User is offline   illogical Icon

•   verified user   

Posted 05 February 2006 - 07:25 PM

Nothing quite like a search for servers not running PB

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942