• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hit Detection Explained Rate Topic: -----

#61 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 18 August 2006 - 12:00 PM

I've been hassling with hit detection problems for a long time. In LANs I have no problems. But on the Internet, don't laugh, the lower my ping (20-50) the worse the hit detection gets (I have a near perfect lagometer). When I play overseas (ping around 120-160)
I can hit so much better (even with SR8). I used to play with a fps fixed at 125 and it was impossible for me to play. Now set to
85 fps which is better but still have the above described problems. Go figure...

yea, that's one of the few things I noticed too. sometimes on 200-250 pings hitting is easier than on 100s or bit less. on up to 20-30 though no prob, even though that's rare to me. can't be certain though, it may happened by chance or some weird phychology was in effect  :roll:

ps. hello there Mr Carmack, love your game engines  :-D

#62 User is offline   Hybridesque (old) Icon

• LocationBradford, UK

Posted 18 August 2006 - 01:00 PM

I used to be really poor on servers with ridiculously low pings (usually Barrysworld game servers), the days when I was on JANET access from university halls of residence.  Regular servers, not a problem, so I can appreciate.

#63 User is offline   HoboHumpinSlut (old) Icon

Posted 18 August 2006 - 01:17 PM

i can second that oversavtion. at least it feels like it. i seem to do better on servers overseas.

#64 User is offline   Homie Icon

• Account: homie
  • Main tag: ]$[

Posted 18 August 2006 - 01:50 PM

totally

my ping to spamrock of 6-16ms sux :x (no joke)

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#66 User is offline   Mauri (old) Icon

• LocationLisbon, Portugal

Posted 18 August 2006 - 03:24 PM

yeah me too. HSO server (we are a uk clan mostly) have our server in Germany. We have really good games there. When the server is right next to you its ok. but that 10-20 ping bracket rally owns my connection. No idea why!

I believe that has something to do with antiwarp. When your ping is that low (10 to 20m/s)  you have a bigger problem with ping oscilation, which will affect your hits. Maybe I'm completely wrong here, but that's how I feel when playing on PT servers with my 8m/s ping.

#67 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations
  • Account: woekele

Posted 18 August 2006 - 03:39 PM

Have you tried using ut_timenudge? Set it too 20 or so and see if it does anything good for you :o

#68 User is offline   Homie Icon

• Account: homie
  • Main tag: ]$[

Posted 18 August 2006 - 04:04 PM

nope ...with a 6ms ping i shouldnt be nudging anything anywhere ... anyway im not bothered as we're not in any competitions atm

so im just waiting for 3.8 for the fix 8-)

#69 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations
  • Account: woekele

Posted 18 August 2006 - 04:09 PM

ut_timenudge was made by twentyseven to fix hitproblems, try to see if it helps. If so, SID could enable ut_timenudge by default for example in 3.8.

#70 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 18 August 2006 - 10:13 PM

timenudge helps for sure when yellow is on the (top part of the) lag meter and hits are usually better with it on, but I mean 'generally' on 200-250 pings, it 'looks' to get better 'hits' than generally on around 100 or a bit less, very low ones of 20-30 and less excluded, where at least for me its hard to notice bad 'hits' there.

not sure though about it, id have to be very carefull on 'yellows' on those different cases to be more certain.

itd be of some importance since timenudge is not free, adds some internal 'lag' for the gamer using it. (not the server or other players, like some "admins" seem to think and kick for timenudge values  :roll:)

edit: wonder if it helps for some reason even if yellow isn't shown on the meter..

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942