• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The PSG-1 Rate Topic: -----

#1 Guest_[n*e*r*d*].SplitKick

Posted 08 May 2004 - 12:29 AM

Does anybody use this gun? I tried it today, for a couple of hours even, and apart from the fact that I like the concept of the gun, it didn't work for me. The only kills I got with it, were some noobs standing around, or people already maimed by other players. Easy pickings for any gun.

Versus the sr-8 this weapon is quite useless, because most (every) sr-8 players will fire one shot, take cover, pop up, and fire again. So unless you either kill in one shot, or have an automatic weapon to come up close with, you're pretty much no match. For the record: this is not an sr-8 rant, but a post about the PSG-1.

Versus automatics, it's just to hard to keep aiming at people who are spraying you. What happens to me all the time when confronted by an automatic user (even on a considerable distance), is that they have a very high chance of hitting me in the legs, practically immobilizing me and rendering me very very vulnerable to more bullets.
In my opinion the problem is that with the PSG-1's rate of fire and clip capacity, you have to aim very carefully. Luck/spray is (obviously) not a factor (as with aforementioned automatics) and while you're aiming, you are extremely vulnerable. Of course with a gun like the sr-8 you have to aim carefully too, but part of it's use is ducking back behind cover after each shot. And if you do hit, your enemy isn't likely to shoot back anymore.

How do the people on these forums feel about this gun, and does anybody have any ideas to improve it, to make it more attractive as an alternative to the sr-8?

Some of my thoughts:
- increased rate of fire?
- more bleeding damage?
- change in zoom levels to make it more useful at close range?
- less kickback (what are the penalties now?)
- add on...

#2 User is offline   -SATAN- (old) Icon

Posted 08 May 2004 - 01:17 AM

for some weird ass reason...i cant hit anything with a PSG prolly cause i fire 2 fast hehehe so my 8 bullets are gone pretty soon maybe a small increase of power would do the trick but if you would remove it from the game....not many will notice i guess :? altough in CTF it can be pretty handy 2 shoot rushing incomming ppl 8)

#3 Guest_[n*e*r*d*].SplitKick

Posted 08 May 2004 - 01:24 AM

Yeah I can't seem to hit with it either, but I think that's because I'm used to sr-8, where you only have to make one quick estimate of your opponents movement before firing one bullet. The PSG feels more like an automatic in that sense, you start firing as soon as you see the enemy, because you have enough bullets. Turns out, you lose aim because of that haste.

#4 Guest_Mr.StaggerLee*ReIIiK

Posted 08 May 2004 - 01:34 AM

i would argue with the rate of fire...for a little while (i think it was 2.6a or 3.0) the rate of fire was extremely less than it is now with same damage and 5 bullets...ok maybe not much less but enough to be noticable.

now, i get pissed off if im killed by a psg and i have an SR-8 in hand with full health...imo its strength IS its rate of fire over the sr8. A silenced psg is really useful, get into positions where people wouldnt normally expect a sniper and get your first shot off while they are not looking, and you probably have a kill.

i tested it out, and you can unload an entire 8 clip of psg bullets in around 4 sec, which imo 2 bullets a sec is really fast for a weapon that does around half damage per bullet, and the reload time is quick.

example of a good PSG user is like this: usually if im killed by a psg, i hear the bullet hit my vest, i start to turn to the direction it came from (and i turn real fast when engaging someone) and i usually dont even get a glimpse of who it was that shot me before im taken out by a 2nd bullet.

still this doesnt make it that great of a weapon...as a concept i think it balances out evenly with the rest of the weapons in the game, but in reality it seems to fall short, maybe all in how you use it...its strength is its versatality, damage, and rate of fire....but it exceeds at none of these when an sr8 bullet is about to be jammed down your chest.

#5 User is offline   mrp (old) Icon

• Locationuk

Posted 08 May 2004 - 07:25 AM

the problem with the psg is that ppl see its rate of fire and think its useful to actually fire that fast ...

it isnt.

u can take 1, 2 shots max with the psg before u should rest, or cycle to ur next gun.. else the spread becomes too much to handle.. I used it recently for a couple of weeks cause i was determined to prove it wasnt entirely useless, and i found its best used to do some damage at a bit of range so u have time to close the distance and use ur secondary ;x

unless u r really good with the psg i wouldnt suggest to try and use it solely to kill somebody .

That being said using the psg never effected my rankings at the end of the map. I think most people find the psg too difficult to use (in comparison with the much easier sr8, or auto of ur choice) and so give up before they really have given it any chance.

Perhaps it could be tweaked to enhance ease of use properties .. but then you would just turn it into another gun anybody can use .. and then the whining shall begin :P

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   War Spaghetti (old) Icon

• LocationPennyvania

Posted 08 May 2004 - 08:53 AM

Isnt a shot no vest with psg like a waste shot with sr8? All in all damage increase and i'd probably use it more often.

#7 User is offline   TwentySeven Icon

•   former FS member   
    Lead Engine Developer
  • Account: twentyseven

Posted 08 May 2004 - 10:26 AM

It'll see more use in 3.5.

But only because the 3.5 sr8 will require alot more skill to use then the 3.4 one.

Our QA had a great time testing the psg1 out recently - even without any mods it seems to fit better into the game now vs the "2.5" Sr8.

#8 User is offline   THIRTEEN (old) Icon

• LocationMelbourne - Australia

Posted 08 May 2004 - 01:40 PM

Cool,

Nice work! :D

#9 Guest_[n*e*r*d*].SplitKick

Posted 08 May 2004 - 02:00 PM

It'll see more use in 3.5.

But only because the 3.5 sr8 will require alot more skill to use then the 3.4 one.

Our QA had a great time testing the psg1 out recently - even without any mods it seems to fit better into the game now vs the "2.5" Sr8.

And this is why I've started practicing with the PSG-1 lately. I want to be ready for the army of people who's sr-8s suddenly seem to malfunction... :)
I'm curious what the sr-8 will feel like though, because I've already practiced my mouse-aiming vs strafe-aiming, and it's working great.

#10 User is offline   Dark Devil (old) Icon

• LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 08 May 2004 - 02:12 PM

But only because the 3.5 sr8 will require alot more skill to use then the 3.4 one

Now my day is ruined :(

Don't change the Sr8! I dont wanna use the nOObish PSG!!!

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942