• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Using xqf in linux. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   undead Icon

• Account: undead

Posted 06 January 2007 - 03:40 AM

If you use xqf with the default master servers, you will refresh far too many entries.  Here's how to enable the UrT master server.

Right click on the "Quake3: Arena" tab in the left panel.  Select "Add Master".  Fill in these fields:

• Master Name = Urban Terror
  • Leave drop down box on "Quake3: Arena"
  • Master address = master://master.urbanterror.net:27950
  • Keep the radio button on "Standard"

Now click on the new Urban Terror tab in the left panel.  Click the update button. Currently, it shows 117 servers for me.  Update will ask the master server for new addresses and then refresh the servers.  Most of the time I just use refresh because the server list is generally static.

If you don't do this and instead use the general Quake3 item in the left menu, there are 1,725 servers.  As long as you only refresh and update the urban terror menu item, you should get refresh times of about 5 seconds.

#2 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations
  • Account: woekele

Posted 06 January 2007 - 12:12 PM

I wonder how the ingame browser decides what server to use... If  that could use master.urbanterror.net, that would be nice and quick. ui_ingamebrowser maybe. Ill check it out.

#3 User is offline   HoboHumpinSlut (old) Icon

Posted 06 January 2007 - 04:26 PM

since the update button takes its while to process and the refresh button will restrict itself to current shown servers (filtered), i wrote a small patch which adds an option to refresh all servers (currently visible and hidden). The option can be enabled/disabled via Preferences->Appearance->Refresh non-visible servers.

http://schrei00.dynd...onvisible.patch

i don't know if that is useful for any of you, but for me it was important enough to look into the code. i hated that the filtered list shrunk with every hit on the refresh button.

#4 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 06 January 2007 - 06:01 PM

as i just said on the other thread, there's a faster way, gslist. it's a bit hacky and a few minutes behind but for my uses it's just faster and works.

#5 User is offline   HoboHumpinSlut (old) Icon

Posted 06 January 2007 - 06:04 PM

refresh takes like 3 seconds (if refreshing all servers) and it doesn't lag :)

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   undead Icon

Posted 06 January 2007 - 09:42 PM

since the update button takes its while to process and the refresh button will restrict itself to current shown servers (filtered), i wrote a small patch which adds an option to refresh all servers (currently visible and hidden). The option can be enabled/disabled via Preferences->Appearance->Refresh non-visible servers.

Thanks Hobbes.  I'll check it out.

Do you have any interest in making qstat/xqf better?  I've been toying with the idea.  qstat needs a rewrite because it should be a library instead of a monolithic application.  I'm not talking about a fork.  I'd like to throw something together and get it into a state where they can take it from there.  I think there needs to be some momentum in that direction before either project implements it.

If both of them build natively on win32 (and especially cross compile from linux), then I think there will be more interest in both projects.  A lot of people use windows for gaming and xqf doesn't run there.  There's no reason why a server browser has to be linux only.

#7 User is offline   undead Icon

Posted 06 January 2007 - 09:47 PM

#8 User is offline   HoboHumpinSlut (old) Icon

Posted 06 January 2007 - 11:03 PM

so basically you want to split qstat into libqstat and a simple cli application utilizing that lib. good idea.
i also agree that xqf could well be multi-platform, but you'd have to bundle the gtk runtime or redo the gui using some other library.

none of these two sounds like an easy job.

#9 User is offline   undead Icon

Posted 06 January 2007 - 11:20 PM

so basically you want to split qstat into libqstat and a simple cli application utilizing that lib. good idea.

It's been mentioned on their maililng list but nothing ever happens.

I've thought about having a main library and dynamically loaded libraries for the game specific parts.  That would allow people to easily add new game support.  I know there are wrappers for portably loading dynamic libraries.

i also agree that xqf could well be multi-platform, but you'd have to bundle the gtk runtime or redo the gui using some other library.

Gaim is pretty popular on windows and they bundle the gtk runtime.  I don't think it's worth the effort to port away from gtk.

Glib has a lot of cross platform functions.  It's too bad they didn't use those instead of using linux specific calls.  I'd also like to remove the hacks such as loading xpm files from inside the executable.  There's a patch in debian's version that does that.

none of these two sounds like an easy job.
That's why I'm not interested in doing it all myself. :)

#10 User is offline   HoboHumpinSlut (old) Icon

Posted 06 January 2007 - 11:59 PM

well, i think the first thing would be to get xqf running on windows. networking should be no problem, but there are at least 3 uses of fork (and the like) which would need to be replaced.

splitting qstat is more a cosmetic thing imo and it works just fine on windows as it is now.

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942