Advertisement
  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Freedom of movement in demos Rate Topic: -----

#1 Guest_Fr3dY

Posted 13 May 2004 - 10:38 AM

Could a server (at least, theoretically) record a demo in which you could follow any player, and even spectate with free movement ? (Just like when you join a game). Just curious :-)

#2 User is offline   Aarsbuds0r (old) Icon

• LocationNetherlands, The

Posted 13 May 2004 - 11:39 AM

Ye, I think it should be possible... but I think theres lots of problems with the timing. You wont be able to see exactly where people were actually aiming and stuff I think. (like when speccing someone else ingame). Also, I think the filesize would be huge =]

#3 Guest_Annihilator

Posted 13 May 2004 - 04:50 PM

That would be a huge file for sure, I also wonder if recording all that info to the hdd wouldn't cause some serious lag.

#4 User is offline   mrp (old) Icon

• Locationuk

Posted 13 May 2004 - 05:02 PM

mvd demos such as this suggestion exist for cpma .. and works quite well for tdm, altho you are correct that the filesizes get bloated .. usually a one map demo being about 12mb (altho i think timelimits for cpmtdm differ from the usual urt cw) . Its certainly possible with the q3 engine

#5 Guest_Annihilator

Posted 13 May 2004 - 05:10 PM

I would expect it to be larger than that. My individual demos average about 5-6MB.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Oswald (old) Icon

• LocationWishin' I was in SoCal

Posted 13 May 2004 - 05:25 PM

sure if I were casting I could be in freefloat mode and you would get an overview of the action...as a spec

#7 User is offline   mrp (old) Icon

• Locationuk

Posted 13 May 2004 - 05:45 PM

I would expect it to be larger than that. My individual demos average about 5-6MB.

i think cpm tdm is usually played for 20 or 30 mins 4v4 .. so perhaps for urt it would be slightly larger .. altho i wouldnt expect that u would see a growth of the demo size again per player.. btw 5-6mb is rather large for a urt 1 map demo at the moment .. 2-2.5mb would seem more on the mark to me .. i only get 4 mb demos when i let em run for both maps played ..

i take it by oswalds reply that theres no intent to implement mvd for et:urt then? or has the issue yet to be raised? ;x

#8 User is offline   Oswald (old) Icon

Posted 13 May 2004 - 05:46 PM

not that I have heard discussed...

#9 Guest_Fr3dY

Posted 13 May 2004 - 05:51 PM

So it is ACTUALLY possible to watch Multi-Point of View demos ?
That's great! But it seems it only works with certain MODs with that capability, like CPMA and OSP.
I just found some links but not much info:

http://www.challenge...edetail&file=97
http://www.orangesmoothie.org/

Anybody know how those demos work ?
Could Urban Terror be modified to accept those MPV demos ?

#10 User is offline   Oswald (old) Icon

Posted 13 May 2004 - 06:43 PM

I think we end up being limited, now I could be incorrect, because we are developing on VMs and not DLLs. I know a few people were trying to do some crazy editing of demos and were not able to because we were using VMs...

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942