• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Mouse? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Peter Venkman (old) Icon

• LocationWestern NY

Posted 17 April 2007 - 02:32 AM

I am planning on buying a new mouse and I'm looking for advice. I'm expecting to spend 30-40$ for an inexpensive mouse that can handle gaming. Two mice I'm looking at are the Logitech MX518 and Ideazon Reaper Gaming Mouse. Both are relatively cheap but have good reviews. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with those mice or has a different one to recommed. Thanks.

#2 User is offline   FragginNewby (old) Icon

• LocationKilladelphia, PA

Posted 17 April 2007 - 03:13 AM

From what I understand, the MX518 is a nice mouse - I have the MX500, which is a bit more basic, but by binding buttons to keys and some scripting, I can adjust my sensitivity in game (though not nearly as easily).  anyway, I think it's a pretty solid product - not sure about the Reaper, I've never used one, don't know anyone who does.

BTW, how the hell are ya!?!  Long time, no see.

#3 User is offline   mkn (old) Icon

• LocationV**** T****, FI

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:44 AM

Im using now my second MX518, first is still in use on my second comp. (Just found almost new in second hand shop very cheap, so i had to bought it) If You are right handed, this is the one for You!
I can warmly recommend this! Just use proper pad with it.

#4 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:09 PM

be careful when thinking not getting logitech. some other brands are only bright colours and blips and specs all technobubble only to fool silly people into buying.

#5 User is offline   L3mMinG (old) Icon

Posted 19 April 2007 - 06:16 PM

http://www.esreality...post&id=1265679

A real quake 3 pr0 testing nearly all mouse you might want to pay money for with lots of stats for each one.

I myself have a razer diamondback and an mx500 and they are both extremely efficient at fragging :) Don't buy all the marketing nonsense, 800 dpi is really good already, I just got the 1600 dpi to navigate the high res desktop with less movement, but it's not a real big improvement for gaming.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   dborg (old) Icon

• LocationGermany

Posted 05 May 2007 - 09:36 PM

No matter what I think about Microsoft, by now I would recommend the MS IE 3.0 for the budget. I haven't used it myself, but it does seem to be a kick-ass mouse with a great shape for little money, which is successfully used and recommended by countless top players.

The problem with Logitech mice is, that their shape is built for comfort, not for efficiency. When gaming, I do not want to "rest" my hand. :) I think the Microsoft shape is a great compromise between control and comfort and I'm currently using the Razer DeathAdder, which is basically a slightly smaller and modified Microsoft shape. It's perfect for me and I would recommend the DeathAdder if you are willing to spend a little more.

#7 User is offline   StrayCat (old) Icon

Posted 06 May 2007 - 01:42 AM

You know, the whole time I've played this game I've never ever bought a mouse just for gaming.  Maybe I should, but I find my crappy little intel laser mouse works fine. dudes this mouse literally says mouse on the top of it with a little picture of a mouse for the O, lol... I get regular positive ratios when I'm focused in game, so would buying a real gaming mouse really help me that much more?  I've been looking around lately while I'm in stores with no intent on buying, but just to see what's out there, and most of them look big and bulky, do the good gaming mice have the laser more towards the front of the mouse? I could see this being a benefit as you can rest your wrist and just flick which is how I play, but aside from quick handier buttons (which I do like the idea of) do these mice really make that much of a difference than my crappy little mOuse?  It's consitant, and gets the guy dead as long as I actually point at them (in 4.0 anyway )

#8 User is offline   dborg (old) Icon

• LocationGermany

Posted 06 May 2007 - 03:37 AM

It only matters if a) you think there is something wrong with your current mouse (even if it's just an ergonomic detail) or b) you want to become really good and want to get the last bit of potential out of your equipment.

For me, this is mostly about convenience. I upgraded from a Logitech Optical Wheelmouse to a Logitech Dual Optical because the Optical Wheelmouse had huge skipping issues. I then upgraded to a Razer Diamondback because I didn't like the "ergonomic" shape of the Dual Optical and the Diamondback has nice large, sensitive buttons (like every Razer mouse). And now I got the DeathAdder because it has a slightly more comfortable shape and a much better positioned scroll wheel. The two side buttons are also perfectly positioned.

One reason why a good mouse can become very important is for low sensitivities. A low sensitivity (like 40cm for 360 degrees) can be (is) a huge advantage in a game like Urban Terror, but it will require you to work your mouse a LOT. Many old sensors will choke on this and lasers aren't great with it either (that's why Razer used an optical sensor again on the DeathAdder).

As for large and bulky, that's another reason why I like Razer. The DeathAdder probably is the biggest mouse they made so far and even that one isn't too bad. It is slightly smaller than the Microsoft shape and allows me to hold it in my usual "finger grip" style, with the body just being large enough to support my palm if I want to.

You don't necessarily need a gaming mouse for gaming, it's just that with a mouse made for gaming, you can be fairly certain that it won't have any features that interfere with gaming, like a scroll wheel without steps (very bad) or heavy weight (my Dual Optical even had a piece of lead screwed in to make it feel more expensive... ridiculous). The MS IE 3.0 is a mouse that got famous for gaming even though it wasn't originally meant for gaming. It just happens to have all the right features in the right places. Same for the Logitech MX500/518, but that really depends on whether you like their "fits like a glove" design.

About the sensor position, I'd say centered position is ideal. A sensor more to the front might be good for wrist movements, but for sweeping arm movements a centered sensor probably feels more natural.

#9 User is offline   StrayCat (old) Icon

Posted 06 May 2007 - 02:20 PM

Good points dborg. I think eventually I'll buy one and I'll prolly do the same thing venkman did and post here on your guys thoughts. Thanks for the info!

#10 User is offline   Qster (old) Icon

• LocationMidlander

Posted 06 May 2007 - 02:41 PM

Mx518 - very happy with it - replaced twice in 3 years - this is more than likely down to user (me) rather than hardware - it does take a beating.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942