• This topic is locked

How long to ut4_docks?

#31 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations
  • Account: woekele

Posted 09 June 2007 - 12:39 AM

what i said, i'm the tard that enjoys it and supports it

Untill a mapper announces that he won't be able to do a certain map... Then suddenly all support is gone and the poo flinging starts.

#32 User is offline   downfall (old) Icon

Posted 09 June 2007 - 12:45 AM

nah, it's not about the map, it's about the mapper finding it necessary to speak for everyone else in the team and saying that their gonna cancel the project cos he's not inspired enough to work within the limitations of a classic engine and the excuse is once again 'some in the community' and it's exactly this kind of attitude that ticks me off, but whatever, i'm loving the game, not liking the communication by the mapper

get it ?

It seems no one in this dev team wanting to get out ever has the decency to quietly go into the good night, or piss off graciously, oh no, it's always with some half-assed message about leaving things unfinished, and oh yeah sorry if you got disappointed by understanding i was actually working on something that i said i was but wasn't and BTW i'm QUITTING COS YOU'RE ALL A BUNCH OF INGRATES, YOU DON'T DESERVE MY MASSIVE SKILL SET !!!!!

#33 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations

Posted 09 June 2007 - 01:06 AM

Meh, 3.8 would be the last version at first, with just a few updated maps. But 4.0 came along, so will 4.1... It's just time to move on after that. I believe that's the main reason for most, I don't think it has to do with the community that much (btw, notice how invis uses the word 'some', not 'all').

#34 User is offline   downfall (old) Icon

Posted 09 June 2007 - 01:09 AM

ok AARS, just know that i'm aware that all good things come to an end, and so will this mod, but end it with some class and not by lashing out at the community

that's all

peace !  :mrgreen:

#35 User is offline   |NV|S (old) Icon

• LocationSanta Clarita, CA

Posted 09 June 2007 - 03:34 AM

Meh, 3.8 would be the last version at first, with just a few updated maps. But 4.0 came along, so will 4.1... It's just time to move on after that. I believe that's the main reason for most, I don't think it has to do with the community that much (btw, notice how invis uses the word 'some', not 'all').

Yes, some....not all.  Although, I have to say that when even Blade who has the patience of a saint says "screw it" then its pretty much over.  Ive been "over" the community personally for years, but I love the game thats why I trudged on.  And Crenshaw wasn't meant for the q3 version of the game, it was geared for a nextgen version that the team was discussing.

Here is a few shots of that nextgen version of crenshaw that was in the works

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I tried very hard to dumb it down for Q3, and I just couldn't do it.  The toolset and asset pipeline for q3 just doesn't lend itself to make quality art by todays standards.  And even if we could, its so unbelievable cumbersome that it almost isn't worth it.  Ask anyone on the team, I tried very hard to get the levels to play nice with our tools and it was just like herding cats.  I think the entire team has realized (jeff and I especially) that we were not going to be able to make what we wanted with q3.  We were going to have to retool.  And thats what we are going to do, so that we can make a better quality product.  Provinggrounds was built entirely out of Radiant, and believe me folks it wasn't easy, and is finicky as all hell.  Why would I go through this? Because I love the game and I want to bring a better product to it.  But doing docks and crenshaw with our current tools and engine would just be insane.  So, maybe for the next game?  I don't know.  And we aren't abandoning it solely because of the community, but I have to admit that the entire team realized that it made lots of mistakes on how we dealt with the community, and I guarantee we wont make those on our next project.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#36 User is offline   |NV|S (old) Icon

• LocationSanta Clarita, CA

Posted 09 June 2007 - 03:41 AM

oh yeah sorry if you got disappointed by understanding i was actually working on something that i said i was but wasn't

lol....i still love you, even if you're wrong.

#37 User is offline   dborg (old) Icon

• LocationGermany

Posted 09 June 2007 - 05:34 AM

Meh, 3.8 would be the last version at first, with just a few updated maps. But 4.0 came along, so will 4.1... It's just time to move on after that.

I guess nobody really expected 3.8 to revive the game and community, but 4.0 did. You did a lot of things right, fixed the real deal-breakers and the stand alone basically made it a whole new game. The amount of old players coming back is amazing and the positive reception among many of the best ET players is further proof of its great potential. It feels like a whole new beginning and this has motivated me and many others to dive in completely again. A new German community forum was set up and work is underway to improve the website. I have been working with someone on a European community site which should soon be ready and deadllamas is likely to be revived as well. The community is doing fine and player numbers are growing again.

I don't think anyone expected any further feature releases from the dev team, other than the promised map update. Invis' reply did seem very harsh and made me wonder for a second if it would still be worth it to have any hopes for the game's future. But then I realised that he isn't actually saying anything new, other than that he won't follow up on his own announcements.

I do hope that you will still do maintenance releases if they become required, at least until you release the game code or have something that can take its place. There is no reason why URT shouldn't live on long after its "final release", just like other games do. I still consider this a beginning, not just the beginning of the end.

#38 User is offline   downfall (old) Icon

Posted 09 June 2007 - 12:30 PM

see, he does it again, i understood BK quit because she could hardly hold a mouse or type on a Kb because of her arthritis or something, a very understandable reason, but you turn into her losing her patience with the ungrateful community.

that's just wacked.

#39 User is offline   Bumper (old) Icon

Posted 09 June 2007 - 01:04 PM

Invis I'm with downfall.

"The community" are who exactly?
The faceless forum and irc losers? or the guys on the actual servers playing the game?
I'll give you a hint it's a community you have VERY little contact with [honestly when was the last time you played on a server for a full mapcycle?].

That aside for a second.

Docks was doomed and to an extent crenshaw was doomed because Invis you don't map for the game you have but you map for a completely different game that you wish existed.
And it frustrates you and that is very obvious.

Look at the best maps of this release [4.0]. They are maps that are firmly routed in urban terror; gameplay wise and render wise.
Tub, Masheen , BK, her husband I forget his name [Hah! RC I'm just kidding] that dude who did elgin and that dude who did mandolin done straight killed it.

With maps that are for the game as it is and as it has been for the past 4 years.

I really don't see why you seem surprised that Crenshaw was waaay out  bounds for what this render can do.
Mapping in maya as far as I can read was ALWAYS shitty on the fps.
And fps and gameplay in this [very competive] game is king.
This aint Battlefield 2...in this game each kill counts and good framerates and good gameplay far outway pre rendered soft shadows.

Look at Casa and New Casa aka Mandolin the geometry is simple and the textures are hot.
Layout is good == great maps.

Build for the game you have.

And for god sake stop blaming the community, the real players, unless you play 2+ hours a day you have no idea about their opinions [I'd be surprised if you played 2 hours a month].
These forum morons with 1000+ post counts and those irc idlers are a bunch of teenaged drones.

#40 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations

Posted 09 June 2007 - 02:11 PM

Im a moron! :D

PS: I play 2 clanwars a night, like 3 times a week :)

• (15 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942