• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

ut4_dville Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations
  • Account: woekele

Posted 06 September 2007 - 11:38 AM

Lawl, of course you're right. However, I feel that if you have REALLY REALLY tried (not just 1 or 2 e-mails) to contact the owner and can't find the person, then you could update it, and be VERY careful about doing it right. Good lighting everywhere, good textures, good scale, proper creditting etc.

#22 User is offline   MrSentry Icon

• Account: mrsentry
  • Main tag: 6th|

Posted 06 September 2007 - 12:10 PM

are you serious? keres? here the developers are telling you "Thats not cool!" and your going to argue about no .txt file!
Don't be bastardizing maps that do not belong to you!

#24 User is offline   Jagged (old) Icon

Posted 06 September 2007 - 07:32 PM

Just thought I'd add my 3 cents. Just because there is no readme or such, doesn't mean you can freely use their map. Even if there is no Copyright notice the creator still maintains copyright on their product. The absence of a readme file doesn't give you permission to do anything with the map. The creator retains ALL rights to their creation.

If you don't know who made it, stay away from it! If you do, contact them and ask for permission. If they don't reply, stay away from it! You're only inviting trouble. Besides, if you read through the forum, you'll see many people aren't very keen on these unauthorized 4.x "updates".

I would recommend checking out US Copyright law (though, you may also want to check out copyright law for other areas of the world, if you live outside the US).

#25 User is offline   žalost (old) Icon

• vivisectionist
  • Locationseahorse seahell

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:53 PM

ah screw it a formal appology is now in place, sent to queenbee.

okay i shouldnt of. even tho asshats were updating maps without permission I shouldnt have stooped down to that level. I hope that you and everyone else can forgive me.

But it doesnt matter. Because, in the end, Urban Terror loses. You updated to 4.0 right before developement is starting to end, which means, for all mappers, they have to start from the bottom again. And the worst part, people are encouraged to make maps for urban terror. but it doesnt matter. People dont care. All the good maps were lost on April 1st, 2007. And not one person could recover the entire developement period from 2.0 till 3.7.

Im sure this has occured to someone else. UrT quality will never be as good as it used to be, unless, somehow, people realize that making maps doesnt matter after a while. I wonder if urban terror developement slowed down when urban terror became updated and good mappers left so nobody is able to update these classics, or because mappers were hindered by the same aspects that im having, that it makes no sense to put effort into a game that will soon end, and then die out.

Its a shame. I was looking forward to making more maps for urban terror. I had already planned 2 more, and was really getting into the developement of midtown.
:|

o and:

Just thought I'd add my 3 cents. Just because there is no readme or such, doesn't mean you can freely use their map. Even if there is no Copyright notice the creator still maintains copyright on their product. The absence of a readme file doesn't give you permission to do anything with the map. The creator retains ALL rights to their creation.

If you don't know who made it, stay away from it! If you do, contact them and ask for permission. If they don't reply, stay away from it! You're only inviting trouble. Besides, if you read through the forum, you'll see many people aren't very keen on these unauthorized 4.x "updates".

I would recommend checking out US Copyright law (though, you may also want to check out copyright law for other areas of the world, if you live outside the US).

if people arent liking these updated maps, then why are they in more map cycles than new 3rd party maps.

people loved the unupdated ut4_subway so much they r making it official again. ... ...

afterall, you cant sell maps. you cant even put them on a CD. I wouldnt understand why someone would go off about someone liking their work they put into it enough, to decompile the map, relight it, put new models into, arrange for new measurements, and worst of all, recoordinate all of the textures in the map. Which takes a really grooling period of time to do.

--

@ AKGRIZZLY

why would you keep the same version name when it is the new version? its a different version for the same version of urt 3.0, but for the 4.0 update the version extension was taken off and replaced with ut4_

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#26 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations
  • Account: woekele

Posted 06 September 2007 - 11:55 PM

You really think a game is dead when it's not being actively developed anymore? As far as I know, it's about people playing it. And mappers can keep updating the game forever.

#27 User is offline   AKGRIZZLY (old) Icon

• LocationAlaska

Posted 07 September 2007 - 12:57 AM

@ AKGRIZZLY
why would you keep the same version name when it is the new version? its a different version for the same version of urt 3.0, but for the 4.0 update the version extension was taken off and replaced with ut4_

I didn't.  That isn't what happened.  You were discussing the map ut_deville with woek, and I looked in my ut_deville.pk3 for a readme.  Then you jumped up at the end and said your source was ut_deville-v2, not ut_deville, and I promptly ate my hat.

Urban Terror didn't lose anything.  There are 3.7 servers running right now with all the old classics and 3rd party maps as ever, people hardly play in there because contrary to your doom and gloom prediction for Urban Terror the game is thriving, I've been feasting on noob meat in such a gluttonous fashion that I cannot even properly defend myself from a good player any longer.

I strongly encourage you continue to build *new* maps for Urt, at least as strongly as I discourage you from porting others work before they give you the OK.  This discussion has nothing to do with any of that stuff.  It centers on whether or not you should port w/o proper permission to do so.  Very simple, nothing complex or detrimental to the game about it at all.  The idea that your somehow saving the game by porting maps is a delusion of grandeur.

#28 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:38 AM

You really think a game is dead when it's not being actively developed anymore? As far as I know, it's about people playing it. And mappers can keep updating the game forever.

some hope the game will be more popular than counter strike. not only about a couple of hundred playing it. and going down. they probably hope too much.

#29 User is offline   AKGRIZZLY (old) Icon

• LocationAlaska

Posted 07 September 2007 - 04:12 PM

some hope the game will be more popular than counter strike. not only about a couple of hundred playing it. and going down. they probably hope too much.

Some over estimate, some underestimate.

#30 User is offline   Homie Icon

• Account: homie
  • Main tag: ]$[

Posted 07 September 2007 - 04:19 PM

imo....BladeKiller had the best suggestion on one of the other threads...

Take a classic old map thats no long available ..like ricochet for example, and make a new map based on the same layout (or modified to suit 4.0 slightly), but instead of copying the textures, and settings... create something new, so instead of a 2 buildings opposing across a street... turn it into a military base with a bunker and say part of an aircraft hanger on the other side, with instead of an underground car parking area it could be an underground ammo dump but you get the idea

You obviously have the skills to build a map, if u can decompile one and repair everything and recompile it, I would have thought that building one up from scratch would have been easier and far less time consuming, especially as you already have a known working map plan... then everyone wins. You get the thumbs up for a nice shiny new 4.0 map, the comunity gets a 'new' map/ricochet back and the original mappers work is left untouched, though a credit should be included in the new maps readme

though if anyone wants a 'free' map to sexify, theres a map called Iran (I've pimped this b4 i know) afaik its free to be worked on, as this map has no readme, and thus no author credited (ofc unless anyone knows different), its not a map that would make it into competition play, but for Team Survivor pubbing its such a blast, and easy to learn, and was a regular favorite on Spamrock, during 3.7. For TS pub gaming its awsome.. and actually better in 4.0 because its even faster!, BUT ..... the lighting is borked ofc, it needs to be increased slightly in size (mainly to stop nade spam at spawn) and the map does need sexing up without a doubt, but if someone is willing to remake it, theres a place for sure in Spamrocks rotation permanently 8-)

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942