• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Git Repository Hacked Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   BountyHunter Icon

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:11 AM

View Posthasufell, on 17 August 2013 - 10:01 PM, said:

Frozen Sand clearly does not understand FOSS. That's just an observation not a judgement in any way.

Why should anyone in the community care? It's not a big deal and only a legal problem for Frozen Sand, nothing else. Proprietary code is _never_ safer than opensource code, so that can hardly be an argument. Also, development won't stop because of this.

The only thing that would be sad is if code is actually LOST, not just stolen.

Also: "we can't verify if it's free from viruses"? WTF? Of course you can, READ/DIFF IT, unless you cannot understand your own code.

It is what it is.

This post has been edited by BountyHunter: 18 August 2013 - 03:13 AM

#34 User is offline   gutsanglory Icon

• Account: gutsanglory

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:08 AM

Feels like a kick to the sack to me.
Hope things turn around and get better.
Guts

#35 User is offline   SailorMo-n Icon

•   league admin   
  • Account: sailormon
  • Main tag: sC`

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:34 AM

Eh, it happens. I wouldn't lose too much time thinking about it. I appreciate FSs work, and I hope they'll continue it (with help form the community, if needed and accepted).

This post has been edited by SailorMo-n: 18 August 2013 - 08:35 AM

Caco, ergo sum!

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#36 User is offline   Frog Icon

• Account: frog
  • Main tag: FSK405|

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:44 AM

The friends of FSK405 and our members are extremely disappointed with the actions of the few. FS has made great strides with 4.2.x and to show our appropriation for those efforts, FSK405 only runs the latest version of UrT on all of our servers (Superman, Pubs, Jumps and Scrim servers). Our clan is one of the oldest active UrT clans and we understand the dedication and countless hours each one of you have sacrificed for our gaming pleasure. Some how, some way, we can only hope there is a silver-lining tucked in this miserable and selfish act.

FS please don't let this take the wind out of your sails...Forge forward, we will always support you folks. Godspeed and thank you!
Rubbit!! Rubbit!!

#37 User is offline   Garreth Icon

• Account: garreth
  • Main tag: -21-

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:48 AM

View PostRaideR, on 18 August 2013 - 12:02 AM, said:

The box that was breached was on its own for good reason. Not to "hide" our code, but I knew it was the "Prize Target". The box did git and only git, that was it's sole purpose.

If you knew how valuable that target is, why didn't you secure it better? If it would be accessible only via secured and ciphered VPN it would be much, much harder to breach. I know it's all post-fact, however conclusions need to be made.

#38 User is offline   SailorMo-n Icon

•   league admin   
  • Account: sailormon
  • Main tag: sC`

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:51 AM

View PostGarreth, on 18 August 2013 - 08:48 AM, said:

If you knew how valuable that target is, why didn't you secure it better? If it would be accessible only via secured and ciphered VPN it would be much, much harder to breach. I know it's all post-fact, however conclusions need to be made.

We don't know what happened, and it doesn't really matter anyway.
Caco, ergo sum!

#39 User is offline   eya Icon

•   league admin   
    www.urban-zone.org
  • Account: eya
  • Main tag: UZ|admin

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:19 AM

as little as this means, there are people here who have been around since the game was first released. and people who joined in a year later, 2 years, 3 years, even 10 years later :) you guys made a game that spawned a real community, one that people hang around for ages - despite the occasional bitching and moaning. a few idiots are not going to change that. can't promise we won't keep complaining but we'll also go along with whatever you decide to do, make, and give us to play. just saying

#40 User is offline   rayne2 Icon

• Account: rayne2

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:46 AM

OK well now the guy that stole the code can continue maintaining 4.2.

What you guys need to do now is move on. Turn your efforts to UrT HD.
You already narrowed down your choice of a graphics renderer, and either of the 2 is great.
UrT can evolve beyond walljumps and power slides. There are additional ways you can introduce speed in a FPS game in ways quake and other fast paced shooters haven't.

I'm not talking about graphics, I'm talking about completely redesigning UrT, changing the dynamics of the game, introducing new moves and abilities, accepting some well known and desirable aspects of modern FPS games.
Evolve UrT into something new, use it's speed and all it's been all these years as a core for a new generation and evolve it.

You've been taking input from a lot of people that played UrT for a long time, tried another game and couldn't handle it cause it took them too long to get used to something completely different.
And it's something like being in jail, after 20 years the bars grow on you and actually start liking them.
So all those people did was hold you back and ask of you to keep the game as true to the original as possible.

Few minor changes, but nothing revolutionary. Biggest change were the animations and few new guns.
No major changes like stamina introduction and walljumps were. And without those big leaps a game isn't moving on.

I played UrT for a long long time, when i tried playing Bad Company 2 i was completely lost, too much detail, huge maps, totally different way of playing it and i hated the game.
Now i love it, it's faster than i first thought. You just need to get used to it.

You tried to be a development team that listens to the community, and look where it led you in the end, the game is almost the same as it was, plus the bug fixes and animations and so on. Which are all moves in the positive direction, but it all looks the same and plays exactly the same.

What you need to do is close the site, sit down, redesign the game, and them develop it.
Release an alpha/beta and THEN take feedback, feedback that will help you further develop YOUR idea.

Right now it's hard to tell who is the developer here, you or a handful of people that frequently makes posts that are mostly made out of "don't change it too much" type of pleads.

95% of the community isn't giving you proper feedback if any, 3% is telling you not to change the game too much or they're just trolling cause they're bored and the remaining 2% that had good ideas left cause of the 3% that chained your feet and is holding you back.

Evolve UrT.

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942