Urban Terror Forums: [Official ESL] Potential cups and ladders... - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[Official ESL] Potential cups and ladders... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   eslmike Icon

• Account: eslmike
  • Main tag:

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:15 PM

Hello Everyone,

Following the success of the last TS 5on5 Test Cup with 46 teams showing up for the tournament we would like to look into other cups and ladders that we may run.
Please give us ideas and we may implement them.
I am open to any suggestions within reason and look forward to working with you to rebuild a competitive community on the ESL.
If you need to reach me for any reason my email is there mike (~at~) staff.esl.eu or you could open a support ticket: http://www.esl.eu/eu/support/
Best Regards,
Mike,
ESL Games Coordinator / Support Team

#2 User is offline   Nikki Icon

• Account: nikki
  • Main tag: diRf!

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:17 PM

I think moving forward, you really need some UrT admins in place so that there wont be competing teams of hackers. Not sure where that is in the ESL plan, just throwing that out there after looking at the last group of teams.

This post has been edited by Nikki: 16 January 2014 - 11:18 PM

#3 User is offline   szejdi Icon

• Account: szejdi
  • Main tag:

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:44 PM

View PostAzle, on 06 December 2013 - 09:16 PM, said:

Game Modes: Capture the Flag
Maps: Turnpike, Abbey, Algiers, Beijing_b3, Kingpin, Orbital_sl, Paris_v2, Tohunga_b8
Team size: 5o5
Restrictions (rules): About the same as Urban Zone and/or Clanbase

#4 User is offline   Biddle Icon

• Account: biddle
  • Main tag: fr.

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:26 PM

A BM, CTF & TS cup :)

#5 User is offline   Azle Icon

• Account: azle
  • Main tag: .aCe.

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:36 PM

@szejdi: I forgot ut4_casa and ut4_austria there
Azle
Visit http://urtimes.info for Urban Terror News !

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   eslmike Icon

• Main tag:

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:30 PM

View PostNikki, on 16 January 2014 - 11:17 PM, said:

I think moving forward, you really need some UrT admins in place so that there wont be competing teams of hackers. Not sure where that is in the ESL plan, just throwing that out there after looking at the last group of teams.

We have some potential candidates for the opening of the section.
New and improved rules will also be drafted up covering a larger variety of things in detail.
Best Regards,
Mike,

#7 User is offline   eslmike Icon

• Main tag:

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:36 PM

We are looking for casters:
Please create a support ticket - http://www.esl.eu/eu/support/
Best Regards,
Mike,

#8 User is offline   Seven of Nine Icon

•   former FS member   
  • Account: sevenofnine
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:06 AM

View Posteslmike, on 20 January 2014 - 10:36 PM, said:

We are looking for casters:
Please create a support ticket - http://www.esl.eu/eu/support/

Maybe after April :biggrin:
I am currently busy building a team of streamers/shoutcasters for the upcoming NationsCup, I'll inform them about this. I do have a question; will ESL have their own channel to stream urt on or is it up to the streamer to select this?

#9 User is offline   eslmike Icon

• Main tag:

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:16 PM

View PostSeven of Nine, on 21 January 2014 - 09:06 AM, said:

Maybe after April :biggrin:
I am currently busy building a team of streamers/shoutcasters for the upcoming NationsCup, I'll inform them about this. I do have a question; will ESL have their own channel to stream urt on or is it up to the streamer to select this?

Hi 7of9,

We will have a channel for our casters to stream on.
Best Regards,
Mike,

#10 User is offline   shoushou Icon

• Account: shoushou

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:54 PM

First it important to see what happened during the test cup. You said it yourself Mike, a lot of teams showed up for a Test Cup, and that was a success. So we can hope to see more and more cups on ESL for our game. But on the others games, you may not have noticed because you don't know the community well enought, but there were also a few mistakes that happened during the cup (and that need to not happen again for futur competitions) :
- I know it was a test cup, so the teams were placed totally randomly. And it happened that most of the top teams were placed in the lower part of the brackets, and the most interesting matchs happened way to early during the cup. In a good competition, it has to be balanced.
- I said it before the cup, and the facts proved me right : 19h for the beginning of the cup is way too early. Some teams didn't showed up because of that, but majority of them was forced to start the cup with stand-in/ringers, and it resulted in teams playing without their line-up for the first matchs. And some of them losed and were eliminated because of that even before showing their real strenght. And the sad part is that starting so early wasn't necessary, see my point below.
- It's important to have 1 night cup only on Sunday. Fortunately (or unfortunately?), no teams outside of Europe made it to the Quarterfinals, so we didn't had any problems with the quarters/semi/finals played on Monday. But that will be a problem in futurs cups. See my point below.
- We don't need one hour between each round. CS:GO players are used to have Bo1 matchs with 1 hour to play, but that's because they do around 1hour match. Our matchs are 20 minutes long. We spent more of the test cup time to wait between maps than playing. We don't need more than 30 minutes for a round. That's good enough, and that's also thanks to the ESL chat system which make contact opponents so easy. And if a cup start with Round of 64, so 6 rounds to the end, then 3 hours (6 rounds of 30 minutes each) is enought, and we can start our cup @ 20h30, witch is way more correct and we can expect team to show up totally.
- We need admins that know the game, that's important. As exemple, we had in that cup a team who played with banned cheaters. They should have been dropped before even the first match. And that's only possible if admins know the community. And only admins who know the community can balance brackets.

Then about the futurs competitions in UrT. As I said before, it's first necessary to have admins who know the community. Secondly, we need a cup format that doesn't already exist, because the goal isn't to divide the community in 2 website who provide the same competitions, but to provide different competitions teams want to play. Actually, we already have leagues in TS (Team survivor gametype) and CTF (CTF gametype), with Urban Zone an other CTF league in UTSC, a top-level only TS cup made by Pwninja. What we miss is something that I saw in ESL CS:GO competitions : we miss a format like the EMS.

For those who don't know, here is what I talk about :

4 Cups like the one we had for Test : Bo1 cup played on one night (see beginning of my message for feedback about test cup). The cups much have balanced bracket (again, see my feedback), have to take place regulary on Sunday night (sunday to allow teams from all world to play), like one every 2 weeks. The veto system used was great, maplist is fine as well. You can sign up for each cup separatly (you're not force to play them all). Out of each cup, you gain points (the team who win the cup have 100 points, the finalist gets 75, the semifinalists gets 50 …).
Once the 4 cups are finished (if it's 1 every 2 weeks, then it's like 2 months after the beginning), then we have a ranking with the teams who played and their points. The 8 best teams in the ranking are qualified for the finals, which are played in Bo3, this time in the GSL format.
If you don't know what the GSL format is (that's from the organisation who used it first), it's like this : we have 8 teams in 2 groups of 4. Each group is a Double Elimination Bracket : 2 loss and you're out, 2 wins and you're qualified to the semifinals. Semifinals and Finals are in a Single Elimination.

The good parts of that system, compared to the one we have actually on others competitions :
- Teams are ranked threw their results and their actual level of skill, not because of past accomplishements or name. You can be a beginner team, but if you play great you have as mmuch chance as any top team. It also give the opportunity to « lower » skilled teams to play against top teams and gain more experience (never had tha chance when I was a beginner).
- Because the cups are all distincts, nothing is blocked : that means that if a team died during the tournament it won't change anything (and their won't be easy qualification because of a team died in your group). And in the same way, if a new team is created at the middle of the season, it can still sign up to the cups, and why not qualify if win the remaining cups. And that's important.
- From a spectator point of view, this system also means much more interesting matchs to watch. Because there are way more chance to see top teams vs each others than in classic leagues. Having these top matchs is also great to keep competition alive (that was Ryuujin who explained the lack of competition made him leave) and in progression.
- Having those cups on Sunday night only permits teams from South America and Australia to sign up and play with us. And considering the current situation of our game, yeah, it DOES matter a lot.
- The GSL format is the final is honestly the most exciting format, both as a player and as a viewer, because in every game except the first one, you have something to win/lose (not like in classic groupstages when some matchs are useless).

That format was used for EMS for CS:GO, and I had a really great time watching it. Well, what we need is a little different than the CS one (free sign up in cups, finals online). But the system is so great, hope to see it applied in our game, because it can become UrT major competition without a doubt.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942