• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Urban Terror 4.3 Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#112 User is offline   Psogen Icon

• Account: psogen
  • Main tag: FTK|

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:24 PM

View Postkillspree, on 28 January 2015 - 03:44 PM, said:

this is actually a good idea steam games get promoted and are put on steam when they get played enough this should be no problem for the game because it already has a good following.

That would also be a good way to get more players and promotion.
Think about it how can someone who has never heard about urt find this game i found it years agoo buy searching this in google: free online fps, urban terror should advertise more steam could get urt to a whole new level.

Keep looking forward.
(it's alway's more interesting to look at what you can acomplish)

I believe there are copyright/licensing issues due to the ioquake3 being implemented in UrT which is one of the reasons why they can't promote it/put it up on steam. However, when they change to Unreal Engine 4 (UE4) , they should be allowed to put it up on Steam, so that's basically UrT HD onwards. Although, I strongly believe the release of 4.3 should be good enough to get at least a good portion of the old players back into the game. On the other hand, I do agree that FS/UrT could use some more promotion to get more players because there is a lot less players than before.

#113 User is offline   pensioner Icon

• Account: pensioner

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:17 PM

View PostBiddle, on 05 January 2015 - 09:38 PM, said:

Balancing groin hit is in our mind. When implementing the new weapons, we will give it a thought.

Quit all this talk about groin hits makes my friggin eyes water :laugh:

#114 User is online   JRandomNoob Icon

Community Moderator

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:02 AM

View Postkillspree, on 28 January 2015 - 01:06 PM, said:

why dont you just use the 4.1 animations they look cool they make the game urt now it just looks any wolfenstein omgwtfbbq!!!

MD3 model format has this funny thing going on where animations are not described as deformations of a skeleton that you could just attach to a different mesh, but are vertex-based — each animation frame consists of the vertices of the model in a new position. Scaling the animations up along with the model is one thing, creating the low-poly hitmesh from this (the whole reason behind the 4.2 animations was syncing the visible model and hitmesh) something else entirely. My understanding is that it would require a lot of tedious manual labor at best, and probably some very specific knowledge that no modeller/animator has because You Just Don’t Do Dumb Things Like This. Frankie could probably elaborate, I know approximately nothing about the intricacies of Quake 3 player models.

View PostPsogen, on 28 January 2015 - 05:59 AM, said:

For the running animations, Frozensand did indeed allow running while shooting, but I think you are misunderstanding their overall idea on what their motto is "Fun Over Realism".

You’re lecturing a UrT veteran over a misunderstanding. BludShoT was talking about Frankie’s initial animations where your weapon was displayed in an “idle” position, only brought up when firing. Since the weapons are actually aimed and ready to fire 100% of the time, the result looked… interesting. His point was that you can’t do this in UrT.

View PostPsogen, on 29 January 2015 - 04:24 PM, said:

I believe there are copyright/licensing issues due to the ioquake3 being implemented in UrT which is one of the reasons why they can't promote it/put it up on steam.

ioquake3 is GPL which allows any use as long as you make all source changes available for free. Urban Terror assets on the other hand were created by about half a million different people over its lifetime (most of whom can’t even be found after all these years), and Steam requires you to have ownership of or license for everything you put there.
dswp.de
Beginner’s Guide to Urban Terror (woefully out of date)
Daily Deadnade (Last updated September 9, 2016)

#115 User is offline   Psogen Icon

• Account: psogen
  • Main tag: FTK|

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:23 PM

View PostBludShoT, on 23 January 2015 - 06:34 AM, said:

you *can* shoot while running in urt, this is not True Combat Elite or America's Army where your gun is held sideways against your chest while sprinting.) You were either unwilling to fix them (and I realize md3 is a nightmare to work with but that's how it is) or incapable (which I doubt), so it's too bad someone else couldn't have been found to do it.

View PostJRandomNoob, on 01 February 2015 - 03:02 AM, said:

You’re lecturing a UrT veteran over a misunderstanding. BludShoT was talking about Frankie’s initial animations where your weapon was displayed in an “idle” position, only brought up when firing. Since the weapons are actually aimed and ready to fire 100% of the time, the result looked… interesting. His point was that you can’t do this in UrT.

As far as he describes, I do understand that he is talking about the old original animations in which the weapon was held in the so called "idle" position compared to what it is now is different and the position of the weapon when sprinting is odd, but he is also inferring that the ability to shoot while sprinting without the delay of having the weapon held sideways and then reverting to a "ready to fire 100%" position is faulty and needs to be "fixed". However, I am trying to state that Frozensand doesn't always need to take a reality/practical based stance on making everything simulate on what would happen in real life. I believe that their philosophy from their motto "Fun over realism" conveys that they aren't as stressed in making everything close to reality. I believe having slight differences between games isn't necessarily a bad thing or an oddity, but as a player of the game, you just appreciate the game for what it is like and embrace what's there. Providing motivation to the developers of the game is fine, but demeaning their efforts can potentially cause them great emotional strain. After all, it's a free game and they're relying on donations and a few ads on the website to fund the development of the game. They are taking their personal time out of their own lives to continually improve this game, so I believe giving leniency to them in the development of the game is more appropriate. I am not asking that you don't give feedback towards the game because constructive and helpful feedback is what made the game to be as good as it is today. However, I believe that we just need to appreciate what we have now and trust that they are doing their best for the next update of the game (4.3). :)

By the way, I probably would consider myself a UrT Veteran as well; I've been playing since 2007 when it was UrT 4.0 (as a standalone game). However, I didn't bother making an account until Authentication on the servers that I was playing became a necessity.

So I believe in good will and good faith should make our community stronger and larger, in which it would provide positive support for the developers to continually improve the game in the future.

That's all I have to say. Sorry for the long paragraph. Peace out! (Y)

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#116 User is online   JRandomNoob Icon

Community Moderator

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:18 PM

Clicky clicky. I WIN! YES! PH33R MAH GOOGOL SKILLZ!!!1
dswp.de
Beginner’s Guide to Urban Terror (woefully out of date)
Daily Deadnade (Last updated September 9, 2016)

#118 User is offline   Resumil Icon

• Account: resumil

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:51 PM

View PostBladeKiller, on 28 January 2015 - 07:52 PM, said:

HD will be on Steam but not 4.x

Does that mean it will only be available through Steam, or will players be able to download it from a server? I'm staying away from anything that's DRM related, including Steam.

#119 User is offline   tintir Icon

• Account: tintir
  • Main tag: MsT*|

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:32 PM

View PostResumil, on 06 February 2015 - 07:51 PM, said:

Does that mean it will only be available through Steam, or will players be able to download it from a server? I'm staying away from anything that's DRM related, including Steam.

I'm sure you'll be able to download it from here, whereas Steam is an option.

#120 User is offline   Resumil Icon

• Account: resumil

Posted 07 February 2015 - 04:34 PM

View Posttintir, on 06 February 2015 - 09:32 PM, said:

I'm sure you'll be able to download it from here, whereas Steam is an option.

Awesome, thanks!

• (30 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942