• You cannot reply to this topic

[4.2] Update 4.2.011 Rate Topic: -----

#121 User is offline   Nounou Icon

•   former FS member   
    Concept Artist
  • Account: nounou

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:15 AM

View PostbeautifulNihilist, on 15 April 2013 - 03:06 AM, said:

More than anything, I've noticed 'the average first time n00b's have a much easier time hitting me when I'm moving than they could in 4.1. No more running circles around people shooting straight at me unscathed. Everyone seems to have a much higher base-skill level, while the 4.1 veterans are struggling to relearn how to swim.

This is true; I'm not veteran but I play against lot of different skill levels almost everyday in TDM. And the difference between 4.1 beginners and 4.2 beginners is huge. I haven't been able yet to reach a "highscore" against a player base which hasn't changed and looks way more dangerous while in 4.1 I was 1st & able to get 10 to 20 frags more most of the time without sweating. (And i'm used to 4.2 animations and gameplay.)

DAMN YOU FS

#122 User is offline   2.f4 Icon

• Account: 2f4

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

Agree with above.
I had "unhit" feeling sometimes against low pingers, in 1 vs 1 situation.
(I guess because different point of views, and server need to decide what was first and what was next)
At last low ping advantage looks logical and fair. Comparing to hitmesh "out of sync" advantage (Now Left/Right strafe spammer taking hits, unlike 4.1)

PS: Droogs > Fugitives
made by: google translator and common sense

#124 User is offline   Divinity Icon

• Account: divinity
  • Main tag: /eVo/

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

View PostFrankie V, on 15 April 2013 - 03:49 AM, said:

Ping has nothing to do with hits at all with the exception of how long it takes for the server to receive the packet and it's the voodoo magic that the prediction code does that attempts to level the playing field. Even then 200ms is faster than the average human reaction time.

You aim into mass and pull the trigger you should get a hit no mater the ping.

This is a wives tale caused in 4.1 by the fact that players got use to the idea of leading or firing into areas that would generate a hit and is nothing more than muscle memory taking over from what should be the predictability of aiming at the target and getting a hit.

Based on a fair bit of experience, I'm not sure I agree with your assertion. I'll try to dig up a demo of when we played M19 (high pingers) on Riyadh in a match once, but there was one time I was on their back left hill (from my view) with a G36, scoped in and shooting at them on the middle and they were barely moving from my perspective (i.e. strafing at me and then away) and I emptied a clip at one person. I was sitting still. I got zero hits or very near it. I wasn't spamming.

Also, if I join a pub server with high pingers (me low ping), my kill-to-clip ratio takes a noticeable dive.

I'd be shocked if other competition players haven't noticed this sometimes too. FYI -- it is demonstrably worse on a server that seems to have connection issues. I've always felt this is due to packets getting dumped and the server essentially crapping its pants while trying to calculate whether a hit occurred.

It's also demonstrably worse on a server that has a VERY large log file. I've always wondered if hits get dropped when write calls to the log fail or get dumped due to the server process needing to stay "in real time" and refusing to wait on I/O calls being finished and just dumping the next queued event.

It may very well be that a high ping doesn't CAUSE the problem, but it's my experience that it makes it WORSE.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#126 User is offline   2.f4 Icon

• Account: 2f4

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:39 PM

View PostFrankie V, on 15 April 2013 - 03:23 PM, said:

thanks!, very interestin read, especially next page.
made by: google translator and common sense

#127 User is offline   authisaterribleidea Icon

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:57 AM

View PostFrankie V, on 15 April 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

Divinity for sure if you can provided a demo that can clearly prove that collision did not occur and can be repeated we would be very interested in seeing it. We would also like to know the IP address of the server so we can verify that it's not a animation.cfg mismatch.

Granted network conditions and server loads could be problematic but if you can empty a full clip into mesh and they don't register then something is very wrong.

you do know that a demo won't tell you anything right ?
a demo is a record of what the client/server believes "should have" happened it has completely no bearing on what actually happened
and yes its been known for YEARS that servers with large log files or even a bot spamming rcon have been known to drop commands and 'lose' hits
also server-side demos make the problem worse because its a additional IO operation
the quake3 engine does not tolerate interruptions very well especially with urts low 'tick-rate' urts lower then standerd tick-rate exasperates the problem (/beating dead horse with staff of necromancy)

#129 User is offline   Txc Icon

• Account: txc
  • Main tag: [Sk&Bh]

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:57 PM

I tryed it .
It seems better than 4.1 . Good job FrozenSand

Newbies to beat good player ?

Sounds like exception & not about random newbies , I've said many times there is fundamental difference between noob & newbie ;) . The behavour of newbie is different than of a noob , if you know what to watch ...

And still that statement seems at least a bit exaggerated .

Speaking of that I have destroyed the desire of some players to play with me on the same server few times :P .

______________________________________________________________________________________

I disagree with such approximizations .
Witchhunt is not a good thing if you ask me .

However is not upto me to decide , so just sharing oppinion .

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Droog is fictional Anglo-Russian combination , which comes from the real russian word drugar [drugar] ( cyrilic not latin , but I personally find it boring to switch the keyboard ) also used & in bulgarian with that meaning .

Drugar means friend , nothing more .

And its translation in english is comrade , and according to my knowledge it is not just connected with communism , but was adopted by the communists with for obvious purpose .
Which is as ridiculous as the fact that people think the swastika is nazi symbol , it is so ridiculous .

And ''friends'' alone doesn't sound like organization ...
If the suggestion was for '' Brotherhood '' , yes .

On other hand fugitive is someone who runs away from someone else , at least for me is still not good enough title , not that the title is so important , but just giving my opinion .

I don't see reason why not to call them '' Red Dragons '' like until now .
Maybe there are different than red skins , but maybe they are not red dragons called because of the colour of the equipment ...

Or just dragons , but for me red dragons is better than just dragons or other randoms colous , but red is the best - the ketchup colous :D .

And they are wild , freethinking & crazy , are they not ?

• (16 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942