• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

I feel dirty.... Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Vaughan (old) Icon

• LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 16 August 2004 - 09:44 PM

I'd spoken with a few online friends about slackware linux. Any good?

#22 User is offline   L3mMinG (old) Icon

Posted 17 August 2004 - 01:16 AM

I used slackware before I went to gentoo. I like it, and it still runs on my router at home. Installing is easy and it will work solid as a rock, but the config stuff is pretty manual so you'll learn quite a lot (or have to)

#23 Guest_Trizt

Posted 17 August 2004 - 07:00 PM

Does every MSW user start with LFS (linux from scratch) or Gentoo as their first "distro"?

From what I've seen, most tend to go for the "easy distros" like Mandrake and Red Hat the first time. I've never seen anyone choose LFS as their first distro.

It seems they do select Gentoo/LFS, as they get so much to not work out of the box, or then they really have odd expations cards.

#24 Guest_jarchack

Posted 21 August 2004 - 09:23 PM

I've been using Linux for a while and although I work on windows boxes for a living, I rarely boot mine up anymore. I'm tired of patch after patch and I'm definately sick of the registry and MSFT as a whole. I used Mandrake for about a year and recently switched to Suse 9.1 because of the networking. I think people have to remember that these are *nix based os's and not xp media edition. I'll play a game on XP but I sure wouldn't use it for a web server. And if a game won't run on Linux (read - Steam) , no big deal, it was never meant to be a gaming os. There is certainly a learning curve if you want to do more than surf the net and compose doc's but that's the fun of it. Long term, if enough companies and users start switching to *.nix, hardware mfgrs would be foolish not to support it.

#25 User is offline   L3mMinG (old) Icon

Posted 22 August 2004 - 12:39 AM

Fact of the matter is linux does a way better job to watch movies. Urban Terror runs smoother on it and I'm pretty sure doom 3 will as well.

So much for writing it off as a secondary multimedia OS. Problem is software by companies gets more windows-based attention. For sound for instance, linux' alsa is on-par with the asio drivers in windows. The windows kernel messes with remixing the sound at 16 bit ALL THE TIME.

So you got fooled by marketing more then actual specs imo. No offense.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#26 User is offline   rashly (old) Icon

• Locationlong island

Posted 22 August 2004 - 06:56 AM

This is what I got when I ran linuxq3apoint-1.32b-3.x86.run

Verifying archive integrity... All Good.
Uncompressing Quake III Arena Point Release 1.32b..........................................
.........................................................................................
You need to run this installation as the super user.
Please enter the root password.
You can also su root yourself and execute the installation again
Password:
This installation doesn't support glibc-2.1 on Linux / x86_64
(tried to run setup)
Please contact Id software technical support at bugs@idsoftware.com, or ttimo@idsoftware.com
The setup program seems to have failed on x86_64/glibc-2.1

Please contact Id software technical support at bugs@idsoftware.com, or ttimo@idsoftware.com
Press Return to lick me...
[]

:( d0h

Install it as root.

#27 User is offline   L3mMinG (old) Icon

Posted 22 August 2004 - 05:39 PM

btw gentoo offers the ability to run this on a clean install
emerge quake3-urbanterror
and it'll automatically install EVERYTHING from X to quake3 to urbanterror. Gotta love it.

hmm, I'd better inform these people to update it to 3.7 :)

#28 User is offline   forever (old) Icon

Posted 24 January 2005 - 09:50 AM

Hello everybody :D

I like this discussion because it is the first time I can see people talking about OS without flaming :D

I started using linux in the early time of the MSW 95. Perhaps because I couldn't survivie w/o the command line... Windows for me was just a graphical interface for the "real" OS which was DOS.

I started on RedHat (it was RH 4.0) and since this time I tried a lot of others distros. of course slackware, debian, mandrake... all this time I came back to RedHat because it was the easiest and standard distribution - and all was so easy (comparing to others distros)...

Then after many years, one day... I get tired by upgrading the system and setting it again and over again...

Somebody told me that Gentoo is the distro which doesn't need to be upgraded - I tried it....

Now I'm using only gentoo - because really all I have to do (with some minor issues) is to UPDATE the system. No upgrades anymore!!

But of course if it comes to users who NOW comes from MSW and search some similar OS - You should try some Fedora (old redhat desktop linux) or latest Mandrake installation. If You have enough money - try SUSE - it ROCKS if it comes to the evaluation of easy configuration and maintenaince of the system - really the latest suse ROCKS as an easy to use desktop machine...

Finally I think that all the problem is the FREE CHOICE :D it's always difficult - there is so much to try - and only one life, day have only 24 hours... :D

#29 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 24 January 2005 - 10:56 AM

I agree.

btw, gentoo is not the only distribution that updates itself that easily. I use one that does it a bit faster, in binaries. debian. in order to work though you have to declare your 'distribution's name to its "state" not to its "nickname". stable, testing, unstable or experimental, not "woody", "sarge", "sid", "patato" etc. For gamers and programmers with some internet bandwidth "unstable" proves reasonably stable.

I don't try to change someone's mind to use debian instead of gentoo. I contribute my choice mainly to my boredom of waiting compilations:)

#30 User is offline   forever (old) Icon

Posted 24 January 2005 - 11:03 AM

I can't agree in the "debians' update" part - if You are running stable debian - You have to do UPGRADE to the next stable version when it goes live. The way of updating to the newest version of packages works "like" in gentoo only in testing branch (or unstable) - Right?

However - debian will stay the most secure and stable distribution... But it's always "something in exchange for something" :)

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.frozensand.com/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942