• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Clinton Gun Ban Sunsets Rate Topic: -----

#11 Guest_agiantblackdude

Posted 18 April 2004 - 07:59 PM

.SplitKick"]-
- You think shooting someone because they break into your house is justified? Or do they actually have to do something, like rape a family member or strangle the cat, first? Either way, I think it's strange to keep assault weapons (notice the plural) in your remotely located farm because you fear intruders

Unless of course the intruders are just as well armed. They don't have to subject themselves to any laws governing gun ownership.

- [quote name='"[n*e*r*d*].SplitKick"] Which brings us to the protection from the government point. I understand you see some shortcomings in your federal government. I see them too' date=' and to be honest, it even scares ME a little. And I live safely in the Netherlands. That is, until the International Court of Justice in The Hague puts an American to trial, in which case we might be invaded by US troops. But I digress. If you are not content with your government, how is a gun going to help you? I understand the voting ballots in your electoral system are kind of tough to punch trhough, but I doubt you need a gun for that. Or are you maybe worried about teh federal government showing up on your doorstep, demanding your wife and daughter for their new Ubermensch breeding program? In that case you'd better bring your own army, cause I doubt you and your assault rifle are going to make much of a difference then.[/quote']

Odd, The british could offer you a serious rebuttal there. See, they tried to take our guns on raids in Concord and Lexington. Look where that got them. I appreciate your input, and I know that you guys did everything you could to defend your country from foreign aggression in 1940. Americans have longer memories. We want someone to ask us nicely before they strip rights from us.

We'll keep our guns; you can go back into your windmill, asshole.

#12 Guest_[n*e*r*d*].SplitKick

Posted 19 April 2004 - 02:39 AM

Well AGBD, you might be interested to know that death by gunshot is one of the leading causes for death amongst America's black youth. Yes I know it's not fair to play the race card, but I expected more from you than an ancient example from your civil war time (get over it already, slavery and the genocide on the native americans were easy to forget, weren't they?). Also the sarcastic remark about our attempt to remain neutral in WWII (naive, I know) has nothing to do with the posession of firearms by citizens. Our military was inadequate indeed, but so was the military of every nation the nazis managed to overrun. I wouldn't call it our fault we lost.
Oh and the windmills we have here, are either historical buildings preserved for entertaining (american) tourists, or high-tech ones used as an alternative for fossil fuels. I hope this isn't new to you.

Illogical (what's in a name), about the food I eat: the Netherlands produce more than we dutchies can eat. In fact (and I'm not particularly proud of this) we have about as many pigs in our farms as people in this tiny country. A lot of our wealth comes from exporting food to the rest of the world. I don't know what you're dreaming about, but not everybody in the world is feeding of America's greatness.

I think the number of people that dies of gunfire here in the Netherlands doesn't even reach into three digits. How would that be? Maybe because we haven't got a constitution as silly as yours? Maybe because there are less guns around? You explain it to me...

Most guns are for killing people, and most guns are used for that purpose too. But that's not even the biggest problem, because I think most victims fall because you americans (sorry for generalizing here) seem so paranoid all the time. And paranoid people with guns aren't exactly what you call a safe situation.

#13 User is offline   Goat (old) Icon

• LocationIndiana

Posted 19 April 2004 - 03:13 AM

You seem to be adept in generalizing a complex Issue.

How dare you try and dilute a reasoned argument by using the color of AGBDs skin as some sort of point score... I know his views on that matter it has been discussed at lenght We are American first then perhaps our ethnicity may come into it. We are also members of the same organizations... What has RACE got to do with it.

Secondly your assertion that Guns are only to kill people is ludicrous. Over 12 million people Hunt In the USA.. Many foreign countries have less restrictive firearms laws, and lower crime rates, than parts of the U.S. that have more restrictions. And many have low crime rates, despite having very different firearms laws. Switzerland and Japan they have crime rates that are among the lowest in the industrialized world, and yet they have diametrically opposite gun policies." (Nicholas D. Kristof,

"One Nation Bars, The Other Requires," New York Times, 3/10/96.)

Swiss citizens are issued fully-automatic rifles to keep at home for national defense purposes, yet "abuse of military weapons is rare." The Swiss own two million firearms, including handguns and semi-automatic rifles, they shoot about 60 million rounds of ammunition per year, and "the rate of violent gun abuse is low."

In the USA when covicted felons where interviewed:

Fifty-six percent of the felons surveyed agreed that "A criminal is not going to mess around with a victim he knows is armed with a gun;" 74% agreed that "One reason burglars avoid houses when people are at home is that they fear being shot."

A 57% majority agreed that "Most criminals are more worried about meeting an armed victim than they are about running into the police." In asking felons what they personally thought about while committing crimes, 34% indicated that they thought about getting "shot at by police" or "shot by victim."

The data suggest that criminals may be a little more concerned about being caught by police and imprisoned than about being shot, but meeting the armed citizen clearly elicited fears of being shot. That deterrent effect of citizen gun ownership appeared in their responses to questions about actual encounters. Although 37% of those surveyed admitted that they personally had "run into a victim who was armed with a gun," that figure surpassed the 50% mark for armed criminals, an experience shared by 57% of the active gun predators. And 34% of the sample admitted to having been "scared off, shot at, wounded, or captured by an armed victim."

Significantly, almost 40% said there was at least one time when the criminal "decided not to do a crime because [he] knew or believed that the victim was carrying a gun." Clearly, armed citizens represent a real threat to criminals, a threat with which large numbers are personally familiar, or familiar with through the shared experiences of their fellow outlaws

As for your "silly Constitution" remark that does not even warrant the dignity of a reply.....

Your Dutch crime rates differ in structure but are none the less serious...

Having Lived in holland (Roermond) for a couple a years I found the Dutch to be a pleasnt easy going and respectfull people.. Fortunately you are not an example of the decent people i got to know and love.

Source articles ILA

#14 Guest_toast

Posted 19 April 2004 - 04:20 AM

In my country I'm all for gun control, but that assault weapon law does sound pretty stoopid. Was it a political kneejerk to Columbine by any chance? We had a political kneejerk here after the Port Arthur massacre, where semi-autos were made illegal (I think an ar-15 was used). The UK had the same thing after the Dunblane massacre where handguns were made illegal (yup, you guessed it, a handgun was used). Here the law was made very quickly as a political response to a public wanting an explanation as to how this was possible, and how it could be stopped in the future - it was essentially a placebo. Whilst I have no objection to the substance of the law that was passed in Australia, I object to it in the manner in which it was passed, as (I assume was the case with the US law goat was referring to) reactionary, populist legislating can lead to very poorly though out laws.

IMO there are far too many guns in circulation in the US for gun control to really make any difference in the availability of weapons to criminals, and in the context of US history and culture it (gun control) does seem unthinkable. The fact that gun control seems (to many) like a perfectly good idea in other first world countries means jacksh*t for the US.
But anyway, I entered these forums on a hlf arsed anti-gun rant and ended up learing a lot about the US (and Australia) in the ensuing discussion - so GL and HF splitkick (your not a martial artist by any chance are you?).

#15 Guest_IcoHolic*D*

Posted 19 April 2004 - 05:21 PM

Gun Laws are pretty stupid.

I am an anti-gun person, I see no reason for any civilian to own an SKS, but that doesn't really matter.

People here in Canada own assault weapons and don't go around blowing each other away, like they seem to do in USA.

Gun crime is a Sociological issue. The US government needs to stop wasting money on stupid gun laws that have never worked, and will NEVER work. They need to spend the money on figuring out why people feel the need to blow other people away. It's not TV, it's not music, it's not race... it's something else that we can't figure out.

Why don't Canadians kill each other like Americans do? We watch the same stuff, we listen to the same stuff, we're just as culturally and economically diverse (this isn't a Canada is better then the USA rant!!) I think it's valid question that needs answering.

I just can't come up with answer as to why, has the US government ever financed a sociological study of the best minds in the field to find out why?

I dunno, it's a cliche, but if people didnt have guns to kill with... they'd just kill with something else.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 Guest_agiantblackdude

Posted 19 April 2004 - 06:41 PM

#17 Guest_bleepstreet

Posted 19 April 2004 - 07:55 PM

agiantblackdude what if it was halloween and your son forgot to take his halloween costume off and he gets up in the middle of the night to look in the fridge, you hear something so you run downstairs with your assault rifle and shout "I'm a bad mutha fucka" then your son shouts "shut yo mouth!" and then you shoot him in the face.

You have just shot your son in the face, WHERE ARE YOUR GUN LAWS NOW? EH EH EH EH??!?!?

#18 Guest_agiantblackdude

Posted 19 April 2004 - 08:00 PM

agiantblackdude what if it was halloween and your son forgot to take his halloween costume off and he gets up in the middle of the night to look in the fridge, you hear something so you run downstairs with your assault rifle and shout "I'm a bad mutha f*ck" then your son shouts "shut yo mouth!" and then you shoot him in the face.

You have just shot your son in the face, WHERE ARE YOUR GUN LAWS NOW? EH EH EH EH??!?!?

OH MY GOD! I would call 911 right away, so I could ask the ambulance crew to pick me up a pizza on the way over, seeing how the fridge is gonna need some windex.

#19 User is offline   FragginNewby (old) Icon

• LocationKilladelphia, PA

Posted 19 April 2004 - 10:45 PM

agiantblackdude what if it was halloween and your son forgot to take his halloween costume off and he gets up in the middle of the night to look in the fridge, you hear something so you run downstairs with your assault rifle and shout "I'm a bad mutha f*ck" then your son shouts "shut yo mouth!" and then you shoot him in the face.

Is that really what you think a responsible gun owner does??

ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
*deep breath*
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ok, that about sums it up for me... anyone else have an opinion on that remark?

#20 Guest_[n*e*r*d*].SplitKick

Posted 20 April 2004 - 12:17 AM

I admit I am wrong on the issue of gun laws being sufficient to keep people from shooting eachother.
Also, I recognize the responsability the Netherlands as a nation still carry, because of our role in the international slave trade. Sorry. I am pro reparations, and believe they should not be limited to the heirs of American slaves, but that we (western civilization) also have a huge debt to the third world as a whole. But that's another discussion.
Also, I regret using any derogative/insulting phrases in this discussion, as it doesn't show class, or prove my point. Now if you guys will please refrain from using the phrases like "shut the f*ck up", maybe we can have a real discussion here.

With that said, some issues still bother me:

- why do so many americans shoot eachother? Am I wrong about the paranoia part? There must be a reason that Americans kill eachother more than the inhabitants of any western nation (and a lot of non-western nations too).

- also, guns are designed to kill (or maim), not for sport. If they were designed for sport, you'd have paint bullet guns. Even if there are millions of hunters in the USA, that doesn't explain the presence of millions more handguns, automatic rifles and other heavy weaponry as opposed to just hunting rifles. If you can't kill a deer in one shot, stop hunting and go play a computer game if you want to spray and pray. By the way, hunters in the Netherlands own guns too, because contrary to popular belief, we've surpassed the crossbow as a hunting tool.

- I find the Swiss policy on gun use even more ridiculous than the USA's, but frankly, it doesn't bother me as much, since guns don't seem to play such a big role in violence there.

- What country do you think is going to invade the USA? Mexico? The paranoia thing comes to mind again. And no, I am not a rabid US-hating militant preparing to take the next plane to wreak some havoc upon the capitalist Amerikkkans. I would like to visit the states sometime to sample the many aspects of their culture that I've come to love over time.

- If such an invasion would ever occur, explain to me how your home-owned guns are going to stop it. We're talking modern day war here, I am pretty sure that no third world country will do a ground attack on the US. So it would probably involve "precision" boms, apache helicopters and high-tech tanks vs. your "hunting equipment". This isn't fifty years ago, where the battle was actually fought in the streets the citizens lived in.
You might organize a post-invasion guerilla war, not unlike the one some of the Iraqi people are fighting now. But I'd suggest using more effective methods of terror in that case. Suicide bombings and kidnappings come to mind. In the last fights in Iraq I heard about, five Americans were killed, while they didn't even bother to precisely report the number of Iraqi casualties, because it was somewhere in the dozens. To much for any side I agree, but it kind of illustrates the uselessness of having an emergency war kit in your basement closet. If you want to defend your country so badly, join the army.

- I've heard the argument about people killing eachother one way or another before. But a gun is surely the easiest way to finish someone off, as opposed to sticking them with a fork or beating them with a baseball bat. Also, it's the accidents with guns that claim a lot of casualties. Someone is more likely to die from an stray/accidentally fired bullet than any other object, unless maybe it's a car driven by a 16 year old who had too few driving lessons, or a lifetime supply of fast food and cigarettes.

- I am going to disregard AGBD's statements about Dutch culture because they were too funny.

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942