Urban Terror Forums: Some things to say.....about SID, UrT etc. - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (12 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Some things to say.....about SID, UrT etc.

#71 User is offline   Oswald (old) Icon

• LocationWishin' I was in SoCal

Posted 26 October 2004 - 12:44 AM

As a team, we did not want to use HL2. We have our reasons as to going the direction we did, such as a relationship with id and knowledge of their codebase.

#72 User is offline   F for Fragging (old) Icon

• LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 26 October 2004 - 05:51 PM

It not that SID hates HL, more that porting to the Source engine would require massive, and I mean massive, code rewrites (almost the entire codebase in reality). In the end you would find yourself with something that looked Urban Terror, but might not have quite the same feel.

We'll see what happens with ET:UT, about the only thing we can do.

Hmmm last year i got the feeling they just really hate it ;) I did send (also last year) a email to gabe newell from valve asking him to contact oswald for porting urt to the hl2 engine and his reply was (with a cc to a guy named "Chris Bokitch" :

We will.

I never heard if he has contacted os about porting.

You send an e-mail to Newell asking him to contact Oswald? That's not how it works, if it would be ported to HL2 (which is fortunately not going to happen) then SID would have to do that and not Valve. You should have e-mailed Oswald instead.

BTW don't you realize that the mod wouldn't be playable on Mac's and Linux then, if it were ported to HL2?

#73 User is offline   lucky (old) Icon

Posted 26 October 2004 - 10:17 PM

Dammed you're right i didn't realize that you can't play it on linux or mac.
Stupid me what was i thinking 8)
And for me sending a email to gabe. I knew SID wasn't considering a next gen engine (farcry, doom3, hl2 or stalker) so i thought Valve could have more impact than me ;)
But who knows in the future everything is possible (maybe the quake4 engine?).

#74 User is offline   illogical Icon

•   verified user   
    Retired Master Server Administrator
  • Account: illogical
  • Main tag: 6th|

Posted 26 October 2004 - 11:52 PM

Quake IV will run on the Doom 3 engine.

#75 User is offline   EnDYmiON Icon

• Account: endymion

Posted 27 October 2004 - 12:59 AM

I like the option where you won't have to buy anything...as in free...as in idownload ET for free and download UrT for free. That is what Os says SID is all about, making a free mod for themselves and the people. Now with ET as the platform game the mod will modify it will be free. That sounds excellent...I know some people who would jump at playing this if it were free. That seems like the direction UrT is going is being completly and utterly free. Did I mention that it will be free?

Think about a good portion of the community who don't have the most top of the line computers. If UrT was ported to Doom3...well, sucks for them. Plus, to add to that all the impatient people in this community who would absolutly commit ritual sacrafices if the mod had to be rewriten for Doom3 or HL2...textures are done WAY different in Doom3, entire maps would have to be retextured (I think you can port maps but I'm not sure...) It takes several files to create one texture.

That would be a monumental task that I know SID could do, they are very VERY talented people, but it would take alot longer to put out. Who knows what they will do next? Q3A is not all that old, what 4-5 years old? Thats about how long SID has been making this mod. Geezus, people still make HL 1 mods...and that is based off an engine that is almost 10 years old...

I know SID could port to any engine becasue they are talented, but I support them with the ET port.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#76 User is offline   gHOstFaCe (old) Icon

• LocationMiami, FL US

Posted 27 October 2004 - 02:56 PM

[quote name='"EnDYmiON"]I know SID could port to any engine becasue they are talented' date=' but I support them with the ET port.[/quote']

I agree.

There will be no more invalid CD keys and what-not. More ppl will have easier access to the mod. There are many ppl who will not go out and buy Quake, just to play UrT. I did, I have 3 copies, but not everyone is willing to do that and not everybody wants to spend money on an old game that they are not going to play.

I think we might see an increase in younger players with the ET port. Now, they will not have to wait for their birthday to get a new video game :lol:

#77 User is offline   SiR (old) Icon

• LocationManchester UK

Posted 28 October 2004 - 08:32 AM

There is a much easier way to enable more new players to play, than porting to ET...... all the hoarding biatches with 3 copies of Q3, could give some up to the charity of newbies ;)

#78 User is offline   EnDYmiON Icon

• Account: endymion

Posted 28 October 2004 - 08:52 PM

I have 2...but my first cd got corrupted...

#79 Guest_fpk

Posted 02 November 2004 - 01:05 AM

I agree. This mod is great because:
- It's one of a kind. Other than action quake 2 which is far faster, you won't find a recent game that is remotely similar to UrT.
- Friendly ladders with no bs like the stuff we can see on CAL in call of duty.
- Other personal reasons but #1 is main.

The problem why people bitch is also simple:
- Almost every version feels different in terms of gameplay. Every version has at least one major tweak to a weapon which screws up everytime a good number of players. It's very very simple.

People who have been here since the beginning are simply patient with SID. Alot get fedup because something that they were "leet" with was tweaked and made them suck. The new wave of players who started with the "tweaked" version will most likely attack the so-called "old skoolers" and say "HEY BE THANKFUL THIS GREAT MOD EXISTS YOU FUKNUT". They are right but also wrong.

Although we should be thankful for this mod, we should also understand WHY people come here and whine even if they can't make a single constructive argument. Obviously they will be ignored by the pleased group of players and it will always always always always be like this. There is no way out of this situation. Live with it, this is the scenario in every game.

Some like to say "stop whining it gets old". <-- you're probably not a gamer because every community has whiners and every community has players like you saying the exact same thing "shut up we're tired".

#80 User is offline   illogical Icon

•   verified user   
    Retired Master Server Administrator
  • Account: illogical
  • Main tag: 6th|

Posted 02 November 2004 - 01:12 AM

I don't whine and I am a gamer. What sets myself and a few other apart is the fact that we're programmers or we understand the game development process. There is no "excuse" for whining.

I really hate to say it, but you can only expect what you pay for. As not one person has ever had to pay for Urban Terror, it stands that not one person is in a position to actually expect anything of mod. Shockingly though, SID listens to everyone, even the whiny little b*tches. So you can be thankful, and accept when a thread gets locked.

• (12 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942