• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ut4_glug [release] Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

My 4th map

#44 User is offline   mindriot Icon

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:55 PM

Add an alpha channel to the image and erase the border. If that doesn't work, drop the light emitter from the light texture and put a new no draw, no shadow brush over it with one face as a light emitter shader.

Some other observations:
- Still rather dark in some areas (engine room)

- Vis blocking could be improved with proper hinting

- Water tunnel is difficult to get out of at both ends, even the one with the ladder

- Please consider adding a thin playerclip brush to the ceilings where you can catch your head on support beams. It is annoying to run full speed down the corridor then jump and come to a complete stop.

This post has been edited by mindriot: 05 October 2010 - 06:29 PM

#45 User is offline   mindriot Icon

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:44 PM

I found a problem though I'm not sure if it's isolated to me or not. If ut4_desertia.pk3 is not in the q3ut4 dir and I try to start ut4_glug_b7 under bumpy, it starts to load, then UrT does a hard crash. It runs just fine with ut4_desertia.pk3 present. This problem does not exist using vanilla UrT.

Please check to make sure there isn't a dependency between the maps. When you build a map into a .pk3, test it in a completely separate install of UrT with just the map in question to make sure there are no dependencies.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#47 User is offline   mindriot Icon

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:15 PM

View PostJohnnyenglish, on 05 October 2010 - 05:23 AM, said:

Regarding the round light, yes it was a transparent tga, the black bit is where the image was fully transparent.

I'll try as you say, make the rounded frame a decal and add a small light emitting brush over the top.

Either that, or maybe drop the lightmap stage from the shader? Though that wouldn't make sense as I have decals with lightmap stages and don't have this problem - but then again, my decals aren't light emitting. Are they decals? There are two methods, one is projecting and the other is a flush brush. I've only done the flush brush method which I assume you are using. Here is an example:

textures/ut4_zomker_a3/decal_right_arrow_000
{ 
	qer_trans 0.3
//	surfaceparm trans
	polygonOffset
	nomipmaps
	nopicmip
        sort 6

{
         map textures/ut4_zomker_a3/decal_right_arrow_000.tga
		alphafunc GE128
		depthwrite
	}
	{
		map $lightmap
		depthfunc equal
		blendfunc filter
	}
}

I will add a strip of playerclip to smooth out the corridor with lumps in and I will add a ladder to the water tunnel at the far end, I also have trouble getting out the water here and it bugs me.

Just lower the height of the edges for the non-ladder end. For the ladder end - not sure how to fix it so you can easily climb up other than to add a ledge.

Not added any vis blocking at all on this map yet, I'm quite looking forward to doing this, I think the way its built should make it easy to do??

The design lends itself to good vis blocking. Let me know if you have questions. Although I do recommend that as you construct a map vis blocking should play prominent role and be built in from the start. I've done work retrofitting maps to improve vis blocking and it can result in significant rebuilds. Save yourself some effort and make it a part of your designs from the start.

========= EDIT ==========
I found why glug may crash bumpy clients, I forgot to include in the textures folder twoseven/water_n.tga which I did include in the desertia map.

I don't actually use this image in any of my glug shaders but it must be present if you're packing for bumpy and wish to use shiny water. Probably?

That is rather interesting, but doesn't make sense. The twoseven/water_n.tga is included with the bumpy build, so it shouldn't need to be packed with any map. Just tested it. For some reason UrT isn't picking up on the textures directory and it needs to be in a .pk3. I just packaged the textures dir into bumpy.pk3 and I can now load glug and ut4_picolasbridge.pk3. I'll post this in the bumpy thread.

This post has been edited by mindriot: 05 October 2010 - 07:19 PM

#48 User is offline   Rylius Icon

• Account: rylius
  • Main tag: CMM|

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:13 PM

For the last problem, as long as sv_pure is set to 1 the game doesn't read from folders iirc.

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942