• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ut42_revolution Rate Topic: *---- 1 Votes

#21 User is offline   Rayne Icon

• Account: rayne

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:30 AM

View PostMajkiFajki, on 31 May 2012 - 10:41 AM, said:

No - but I have used textures from websites which licences allows me to use them. I skipped all sources which has shady licences.

But that's us - we care. But someone else might not - and that's my point here, when you say that mappers could "Donate" their maps.

Imagine someone is secretly using textures from some AAA game :ohmy: And then imagine what EA would do to FS for that.

They allow you to use them but 99% of them demand credits. I know what I'm talking about cause i made over 600 textures in last 6 months, i know where resources can be found.
And you provided no credits what so ever in your map (b11).

What about this texture.
It comes from 2 blogs one from Portugal one from Vietnam and a photobucket gallery. So who is the rightful owner here. Where is the license. I wouldn't be caught dead using it.
http://hibelogic.blogspot.com/
Vietnamese blog
http://s1031.photobu...mic0051_2_S.jpg

Same with this one.
http://feed235.photo...nso/account.rss
http://textures.sfu-kras.ru/node/2301

I'm guessing the Russian page owns it since it has it in the original form but where's the license. Shady enough?

How about that grass tetxure, where did that come from. I think this is the original source but i can't find where is it stated the texture is free to use.
http://www.garagegam...logs/view/20141
Except it can be found here too. But it's rescaled so it's utter garbage.
http://wps3b.17buddi..._floor_s3b.html

And the checkerboard texture?
The onn from deviant art?
http://sveinjo.devia...xture-128058895
Where's the credit to this guy, did you notify him you used it?

How about this one from cg_textures. Their license clearly states you must credit hem if you use it.
However you did not.
http://cgtextures.co...brmblevetrajqd5

So much for you\r "play by the book and follow the rules" statement.
You don't have a single texture that comes from a know, respectable source wit ha clearly stated license and on those few that do come for legitimate resources you blatantly ignored the license.

According to your text file you are the owner of all those textures, however the truth is a little bit different.

And here you are worried how FS team can't accept someone's map in fear of a law suit? Am i the only one here that sees the irony?

This post has been edited by Rayne: 31 May 2012 - 11:56 AM

#22 User is offline   MajkiFajki Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper
  • Account: majkifajki

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:41 AM

Readme file from _b11

Artwork : CG textures, Black Ryne Studios, Freesound Project, Keres Textures Pack, CC search Engine

If CG Textures aggregates textures from all around th world, I don't feel like I need to investigate every single .jpg file with reverse search.

All of the textures you pointed are from CG Textures website. You can check it out :smile:

And yes, I forgot about chessboard - damn, my bad.

Moreover, read readme files please, before you start throwing shit at ppl in the public forums. Thanks in advance :smile:

#23 User is offline   Rayne Icon

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:43 AM

I don't throw shit i point put obvious.

This post has been edited by Rayne: 31 May 2012 - 11:43 AM

#24 User is offline   MajkiFajki Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

I don't throw shit i point put obvious.

Obvious what - saying to me, I have used CG Textures in my map and gave them credit for that? :smile:

#25 User is offline   Rayne Icon

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

View PostMajkiFajki, on 31 May 2012 - 11:45 AM, said:

Obvious what - saying to me, I have used CG Textures in my map and gave them credit for that? :smile:

That those textures are all over the web and there is no real way to determine who is the legal owner. Who says CG textures owns them.
Who says it wasn't taken from some Russian or Vietnamese blog and submitted there. They do allow 3'rd party uploads you know.
So according to you nobody should use any of it cause someone might sue you, you can't prove the ownership.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#26 User is offline   MajkiFajki Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:01 PM

Oh dear Rayne.

You spent so much time google-reversing my textures (and got pwnd by Google Engine, because not every .jpg from cgtextures is indexed, lol) but you did not look at Licence of CG Textures:

LICENSE

CGTextures offers photographs of materials ("Textures") on its website (www.cgtextures.com) for game developers, special effects artists, graphic designers and other professions. No payment or royalties are required to use these Textures. The use of Textures is non-exclusive, royalty free, and you have the right to modify them for the uses permitted under the clause Conditions of Use.
Most Textures on the CGTextures website are photographed by CGTextures. A small part is photographed by third party contributors ("Contributors"). CGTextures has separate agreements with these Contributors in which they grant CGTextures permission to add their Textures to the website. All terms and conditions in this License apply to both groups of Textures.
All Textures and materials remain in ownership of CGTextures or the Contributor and the Textures and materials are licensed to you, not sold.

INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY

All materials including the organization and presentation of these materials on the CGTextures website are the property of CGTextures or its Contributors and are protected by intellectual property laws.
Some images contain graphic materials like wallpaper patterns, logos, names or signs. The use of these kind of images is at your own discretion. The rights for the photo lie with CGTextures and the photo has been taken in a public space, but using the patterns, logos or name in your work might not be allowed.

The fragment I have "bolded" is the most important one imo. Ofc I'm not a lawyer, but it seems like CG makes deals on it's own and takes legal responsibility for textures they host.

#27 User is offline   Rayne Icon

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:12 PM

OK so you believe everything you read then, that's good.
You know that license can change in an hour, and it can forbid bundling the textures with a map (which i believe it did few months ago).
So what you gonna do then, wait for them to sue you?
Your claim that maps can't be donated cause they might use assets owned by someone else is BS. hen FS team should buy every single texture they use.

#28 User is offline   MajkiFajki Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:19 PM

You know that license can change in an hour,

Like I said, I'm not a lawyer. Double check here is needed - does license changes are valid for my derivative work, if they occur after its release? I can't be responsible for changing rules after work has been done. Lawyer is needed here :smile:

FS team should buy every single texture they use.

Maybe they do? We simply don't know, how FS works in terms of licensing. :smile:

OK so you believe everything you read then, that's good.

Well, licenses, laws and IP rights are not conspiracy theories about nazi-reptlilian-jews-from-mars trying to take control of Planet Earth - it's a 0/1 issue. Nothing to investigate there. :smile:

#29 User is offline   Rayne Icon

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:30 PM

That's the thing, you didn;t buy it. It was licensed to you. Which means if their license changes you have to obey.
I'm not going to buy textures that's for sure. And that's why AAA games use hand painted textures.
You know if you come to my house and want to take a photo of my wall i have to give you the permission?
It's not public property, i own the damn wall and i don't know if you're taking the photo just to see what kind o security i have so you can rob me later.
So how many textures on CG were taken on private property? Who knows, who says they're all legal.
And the main question is who cares, i see stolen stuff everywhere, and nobody is suing anyone. If it isn't commercial it isn't worth it.

#30 User is offline   MajkiFajki Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:37 PM

You know if you come to my house and want to take a photo of my wall i have to give you the permission?

If I (MajkiFajki) would came into your house I would not even had opportunity to pull out my camera :laugh:

I say we need lawyer here.

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942