• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ut42_revolution Rate Topic: *---- 1 Votes

#11 User is offline   wetwired Icon

• Account: wetwired

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:47 AM

I would happily sign over the rights to my levels to frozen sand as long as they use them :)

#13 User is offline   bagheera Icon

• Account: bagheera

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:50 PM

View PostBladeKiller, on 30 May 2012 - 07:09 PM, said:

I can update the revolution shader in the pk3 I have of the map from May 2010. It might be newer than the leaked version that you have. Then I can include the map in 4.2

Sounds great! But please make sure before release that the problems with elevator and doors are fixed. Cause in that leaked version those things affect gameplay much (especially in bomb mode). Elevator is super important on map with vertical layout like Revolution, players rushing to plant/defuse bomb shouldn't encounter any delays there. Same with the doors, evil players just block them by keeping the buttons pressed, so for example blue team can't get from silo side through blocked gates to defuse bomb at black bombsite (down one). They must move back through stairs or elevator(which may not work), just imagine that... boooooom.... cause it was too late :P

Regards,
Bag

#14 User is offline   Runamuk Icon

• Account: runamuk

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:32 PM

There should be an option for a mapper to sign over permission for the dev team to update their map for current or future versions of URT. Some really great maps have been lost through the years due to mappers being MIA. It is really sad not to have the old favorites and to hear that they have basically been abandoned to a silly issue like rights. I understand it's hard work to make a map but you are kind of doing it for public use and that work should be continued regardless of what your life decides you should do with your time. I would like to see a mapping license that allows a mapper to grant permission to the dev team to keep maps updated. There isn't money involved in this and it could be there right to allow official builds of their maps.

#15 User is offline   Rayne Icon

• Account: rayne

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:26 AM

View PostRunamuk, on 30 May 2012 - 11:32 PM, said:

There should be an option for a mapper to sign over permission for the dev team to update their map for current or future versions of

That's already possible. There is absolutely nothing standing in the way. All a mapper has to do is state in the text file he includes with the map and of course everywhere else he posted the license that the FS team has an exclusive right to update the map if he goes MIA and the community want's to keep the map active. So it's all up to the mapper.

However, this problem is right now showing a lot in 2 situations.
1. It's an old map that used to use some of the Q3 assets and now those assets are missing but nobody has permission to update the map.
2. The mapper made his map an open hunt season basically. Anyone that wants to can mess with it. But nobody has the original .map file and nobody wants to go through the trouble of remaking the whole thing from scratch.

Now if the FS team had their own repository where a mapper can submit his map and fill out a form in which he states that the map is his and he is the only one who can update it or that the FS team is the only who can update it, or that anyone can update it; then we could have some rock hard proof of ownership.

I like this system cause i think if UrT HD has it's own GUI "welcome screen" like steam when starting the game and it contains some sort of "popular maps" section, highly rated maps could be downloaded directly from it.

And if it's connected with game servers, server owners could chose to install the map directly to their server.
It would be a time saver cause i expect UrT HD maps to exceed the 100 MB size.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   MajkiFajki Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper
  • Account: majkifajki

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:15 AM

@Rayne

Don't forget about legal issues. If FS makes map by themselves they are 100% sure that for example textures used are not from some pack from Pirate Bay.

#17 User is offline   Rayne Icon

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:30 AM

View PostMajkiFajki, on 31 May 2012 - 10:15 AM, said:

@Rayne

Don't forget about legal issues. If FS makes map by themselves they are 100% sure that for example textures used are not from some pack from Pirate Bay.

17 Copyright Infringement
If you believe that your work has been copied and is accessible through Frozen Sand products or services in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please contact Frozen Sand staff immediately.

I'm pretty sure that's the reason why we state our resources in the text file we include in the pk3 file.

#18 User is offline   MajkiFajki Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:34 AM

I'm pretty sure that's the reason why we state our resources in the text file we include in the pk3 file.

Yeah, just one IP owner will send e-mail with ":)" at the end of it, and other might start legal case, ask for % of money from website ads and God himself knows what else.

You that it's VERY tempting to download supa-dupa textures from PB or some rapidshare stuff.

And if mapper writes stuff in pk3's readme - so what? If shit start to get serious, it's FS Inc. that's has to be responsible - mapper can just vanish in the Internet.

#19 User is offline   Rayne Icon

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:37 AM

View PostMajkiFajki, on 31 May 2012 - 10:34 AM, said:

Yeah, just one IP owner will send e-mail with ":)" at the end of it, and other might start legal case, ask for % of money from website ads and God himself knows what else.

You that it's VERY tempting to download supa-dupa textures from PB or some rapidshare stuff.

And if mapper writes stuff in pk3's readme - so what? If shit start to get serious, it's FS Inc. that's has to be responsible - mapper can just vanish in the Internet.

OK so tell me this, did you create all the textures for your poland map yourself? You went out with a camera, took photos, edited them and used them?

#20 User is offline   MajkiFajki Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:41 AM

No - but I have used textures from websites which licences allows me to use them. I skipped all sources which has shady licences.

But that's us - we care. But someone else might not - and that's my point here, when you say that mappers could "Donate" their maps.

Imagine someone is secretly using textures from some AAA game :ohmy: And then imagine what EA would do to FS for that.

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942