Urban Terror Forums: Urban Terror 4.2 RC on LAN 2k12 in Paris - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (22 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Urban Terror 4.2 RC on LAN 2k12 in Paris Rate Topic: ***** 3 Votes

#61 User is offline   Divinity Icon

• Account: divinity
  • Main tag: /eVo/

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:19 PM

I understand Barbatos. Just wanting to make sure I lobby for things I think would be beneficial.

One more thing that I think would be spectacular is if there could be a cvar for the server that would specify either a human readable log format (like now) or one optimized for parsing. I'm specifically thinking about log lines where every piece of information is separated by a common delimiter. The one used in the userinfo string would work.

This would make log parsing MUCH simpler instead of the insane stuff that you have to do now that is anything but optimal.

example:

<g or q for games or qlog>\<UNIX time format for timestamp>\<say>\<slot>\<player name>\<message>

g\1254384000\say\0\/eVo/Divinity\Hello World!

Parsing this would be as simple as exploding it out into an array based on the \ character where array[0] would tell you if it is a games or qlog item, array[1] would always have the UNIX style timestamp (or some other meaningful timestamp) and array[2] would always be the log entry type.

Hope this makes sense.

This post has been edited by Divinity: 30 May 2012 - 10:47 PM

#62 User is offline   Driller Icon

•   community admin   
  • Account: driller
  • Main tag: uJ|

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:19 PM

Any chance these 2 minor functions will be in urt4.2?

A mute button in menu, now the slides are not muting completely.

And, a button for the console, also in menu.

#63 User is offline   Nitro Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: nitro
  • Main tag: |PWNY|

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:31 PM

would it be too late to ask for either the default value for cvar "rate" to be set higher to something like between 15k-25k or have a server cvar that when set by the admin forces all players to the same rate when connected to that specific server?

One day i would like to see the option to have a higher maxpackets value of say 63? cod series (q3 based) was popular for 125fps / 63packets / 25k rate
Lian Li pc-o11dw Der 8auer Edition · Gigabyte x570 Aorus Xtreme · AMD Ryzen 9 5950x 16-Core
32GB DDR4 3600MHz CL15 · 2TB Seagate FireCuda 530 NMVE · 16GB Radeon RX 6900XT Liquid Cooled

#64 User is offline   SubZ Icon

• Account: subz
  • Main tag: [b00bs]

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:15 AM

Can't wait!

#65 User is offline   Txc Icon

• Account: txc
  • Main tag: [Sk&Bh]

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:47 AM

Sounds to me like August release .
Looking forward to it , nothing comparing with the BIG version after it , but still is something :) .
BTW I am wondering is it just a coincidence - 42000 registered users - 4.2 release :D (probably 43000 when released ) .

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#66 User is offline   bagheera Icon

• Account: bagheera

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:12 AM

View PostDecoy, on 29 May 2012 - 08:54 PM, said:

now draw the name of the guy who planted the bomb

You mean a bigtext temporary message, like: 'The bomb has been planted by Bagheera'?

I play Bomb mode on public servers regularly for 3 years, and from my experience bomb mode should be improved to make it more vital (just 3 suggestions, i don't wanna start new thread about improving bomb mode, there are dozens already):

1. there should be a STATIC message visible for all 'Bomb planted' or icon like suggested here (possibility to place it in chosen place in hud, just like minimap).

Reason: because it's widespread that players (no matter how much they are experienced) often don't notice short, bigtext information about planting the bomb.

2. imo there should be possibility to ABORT while planting a bomb

Reason: vulnerabilty while planting is so annoying, i know there is sliding-plant but just imagine: you are 1 vs 5 blues, you killed 4 of them, you have 1 hp, you 'run' through half of map to plant bomb, while planting you hear enemy behind you, newbie-tourist player who just made a full circle on the map kills you cause you can't do ANYTHING!

3. REWARD more playing for objective- what is the clue of bomb mode!
For example:
Personal rewards:
3 points for planting a bomb while there are 5 or more enemies alive.
2 points for planting a bomb while there are 4-3 enemies alive.
1 point for planting a bomb while there are 2-1 enemies alive.
3 points for defusing a bomb while there are 5 or more enemies alive.
2 points for defusing a bomb while there are 1-4 enemies alive.
1 point for defusing a bomb while no enemy is alive.
Also reconsdider TEAM rewards:
1 extra point for teammates who cover you while planting/defusing (succeeded action) 1 extra point for survived bombers (exactly in the moment of explosion, not after)
-1 point for survived defusers (while they didn't manage to defuse bomb)
-1 point for survived bombers when the bomb got defused
-1 point for survived bombers (while they lost a round because didn't manage to plant bomb)

Reason: It will help to prevent playing Bomb mode same as Team surivor, what is widespread at the moment.

Regards,
Bag

#67 User is offline   banksy Icon

• Account: banksy
  • Main tag: CMM|

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:42 AM

all hail the 'auto updater' :D

great job FS

#68 User is offline   Tizz Icon

• Account: tizz
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:33 PM

View PostBladeKiller, on 30 May 2012 - 07:35 PM, said:

We have never missed a release date in 12 years so I don't know what you meant by that Tizz. We will give a release date when the game has been tested and we think it is ready. At that point we freeze the code and do regression testing for 2 weeks and fix any bugs that we missed during regular QA. The Lan is a perfect opportunity for a good stress test. In the past we have released an Release Candidate at Qcon for a stress test (eg: 2.6).

I was thinking of the famous 'beta release' episode 2 years ago, when it was written in some news that a 'beta' version would be release 'before Christmas'. So the whole community was waiting for it, you actually released something the last day (like the 25th of December), something which turned out to be an alpha version of the 4.2/HD version but actually unplayable, windows only, etc. By the way, today and 2 years later, we all forgot this version which is no longer tested by anyone in the community as far as I know.

So my opinion about this is you got stuck and had to release something, anything, that could save your honor. I've heard that QA members at this time were surprised because the public alpha version wasn not even the version that was tested in internal QA at the same time (but actually a previous version).

So that was this 'incident' i was refering to, I think you made a little mistake on this one but I would never bear you a grudge for it.

Don't get me wrong, I totally respect your work and your dedication, I'm just saying that the best for everyone is to never give any release date, since it voluntary work and free time occupation. As it was always stated : it will be out when ready.

Cheers. <3

#69 User is offline   Divinity Icon

• Account: divinity
  • Main tag: /eVo/

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:25 PM

There's many things about that release that were odd, but I was honestly surprised they had something so quickly after making a very large project scope change -- i.e. starting from scratch basically.

Releasing 4.2 with the auto-update feature may give some opportunity to test some ideas to see how well they play before putting them in HD.

• (22 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942