• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

After Release Party Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   ItsMe Icon

• Account: itsme
  • Main tag: bc`

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:21 PM

View PostBladeKiller, on 16 August 2012 - 10:31 PM, said:

Did you not see that we are working on bug fixes??? We can't just wave a magic wand and fix everything instantly.

Maybe release Software just then when its finished? I know 4.2 is still called beta - but a beta should not have such massive bugs and problems

Many bugs just don't show up until the game is released to the public.

See above - and what did the QA team do? Adulate the FS team and themselves? Such bugs like that auth is not working, the stamina bug, the issues with the animations and so on aren't seen by any developer or player of the QA team or |it| or US while testing? *couch*bullshit*couch*

Play 4.1 if you prefer.

I'll do and lots of others too
What a success: Online: 661 servers with 872 players (OK its summer and its Sunday, lets be generous and add 150 servers and 500 players in the evening)

We only did this 4.2 to fix some bugs in 4.1 to make it nicer while you are waiting for HD.

How about: It's done when it's done?

One big problem is people not realizing 4.2 is not an update pack for 4.1. It is a complete replacement and needs to be kept completely separate from 4.1.

Than communicate that to the players well, the most linux users did the install of 4.2 with your "fabulous" urtupdater - why this program did not care about that issue?

I have seen Linux users talking about sharing the q3ut4 folder with both 4.1 and 4.2. Doing this will cause a lot of problems. For some reason this didn't happen with 4.0 and 4.1 which were completely separate installs as well.

the problem here is that 4.1 and 4.2 share the configuration ind the good old .q3a folder (hint: try to put the 4.1 *.pak files from /path/to/game/q3ut4 into ~/.q3a/q3ut4 and start 4.2)

The community believed the developers and expected a good working upgrade to 4.1 with some nice additions - and what did we get? This 4.2...

PS.
Q: Did the developers ask themselves why the guys from ioquake refuse any help with UrT in addition with the engine?

A: http://www.ioquake.o...91&p=4119#p4119

Why should that be relevant you ask? They have some Knowledge and Manpower in developing on the Q3A Engine - and could help to port UrT to the newest ioquake engine (tbh - not that much effort)

--
ItsMe

#32 User is offline   Ivica Icon

• Account: ivica

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:24 PM

Didn't read all topic, but when I have smoke grenade and hegrenade, I can't switch between them just by pressing "2" unlike in ut4.1. Is it a bug, too?

This post has been edited by ivica: 18 August 2012 - 02:24 PM

#35 User is offline   s.e.t.i. Icon

•   former FS member   
    Engine Developer
  • Account: seti

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:31 AM

We have never asked ioquake guys to help, we have never needed their help. We could, for the 1 millionth time, describe again what kind of team we have, or don't have depending on your point of view, but it really never seems to sink in. The older build was actually used for a very good reason, several good reasons actually. There will be more optimized builds in the near future. We could share the reasons why, but then somebody would just come along and find something else to itemize what they think is wrong and missing. The new releases of Urt have always been a bit rocky, some releases more than others.We've tried going the route of having a large QA and test team but that has historically never worked because all it did was increase the # of people who got criticized about how big a piece of junk the new release is. It's just been our experience that even if we do share our reasons the complaints will still stream in anyway along side any bugs that are found, including complaints and judgements that our reasons suck.

You just have to kick back and wait a few weeks while the wrinkles get ironed out. Go hiking, go camping, chase some women (or men) for a couple of weeks. Or play this and report bugs fast so they get fixed faster. The game will eventually smooth out and we'll be happy as clams again very soon.

I might as well also say that quake3/ioquake3 is designed to be a one thread program, having multiple processors was not a very big thing when the game was designed. It would take a major rewrite of the quake3 engine to accommodate multiple cores and this simply isn't going to happen, that's not what this team is about, nor do we have the time and resources to do so.
Cheers... s.e.t.i.
[img]http://www.urbanterr...ers/13.0.80.png[/img]

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#36 User is offline   Jimmyjazz Icon

• Account: jimmyjazz

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:07 AM

View PostBladeKiller, on 19 August 2012 - 05:44 AM, said:

The updater creates a UrbanTerror42 if you extract to its default folder, btw. Lots of people did not use the updater and downloaded via other means instead.

As far as I can tell the CLI updater doesn't create any folders, nor is there a folder in the zip. the user has to create the folder manually.

They put 4.1 in a clean folder just like we said to do with 4.2. We have said it several times. It is not an update package for 4.1 (it wouldn't be 1.2 g if it was only an update package for 4.1) Is it not possible for Linux users have more than one folder? For example, I have UrbanTerror41 with q3ut4 inside it and UrbanTerror42 with q3ut4 inside that. They are not seen as the same directories by Windows so when I play 4.1 it only uses the q3ut4 folder inside the UrbanTerror41 folder and when I play 4.2 it only uses the q3ut4 folder inside the UrbanTerror42 folder. Isn't Linux capable of the same sort of directory structure? This wasn't a problem with 4.0 to 4.1 and we have done the same thing with 4.2 so why is there so much confusion this time?

Are you aware of the fact, that the game (4.1, 4.1.1 as well as 4.2) creates the folder ~/.q3a/q3ut4 itself. this is a hidden folder in the /home/user directory. It contains 3ed party maps, configs, demos etc. The q3ut4 folder in the location you choose to extract the zip to contains the readme, server.cfg, autoexec.cfg and the *.pk3 the downloader installs. 4.2 and 4.1.1 share this folder unless it is renamed/moved every time an other version is started. (not sure if this shared folder is what you were talking about, or if it is the reason for bugs. To my mind it's not hte most user-friendly solution anyways)

This post has been edited by Jimmyjazz: 19 August 2012 - 07:10 AM

#37 User is offline   Drizzt Icon

• Account: drizzt

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:30 AM

Bladekiller, the problem in linux is, it does not matter where you install the UrbanTerror (4.1 or 4.2), the game creates the setting/configs in the same path for both versions /home/user/.q3a/q3ut4

Im play Urt from linux and i run 4.2 in this way

./Quake3-UrT.i386 +set fs_game q3ut42 +set fs_basegame q3ut42

The game create a new folder into /home/user/.q3a/ called q3ut42 and im play 4.1 and 4.2 with his respective config without any problem.

Suggestion: Maybe if FS change this >>fs_game = "q3ut4" to q3ut42<<, the people don't mix config's and will have fewer errors because of this.

This post has been edited by Drizzt: 19 August 2012 - 03:07 PM

#38 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:02 AM

View Posts.e.t.i., on 19 August 2012 - 06:31 AM, said:

I might as well also say that quake3/ioquake3 is designed to be a one thread program, having multiple processors was not a very big thing when the game was designed. It would take a major rewrite of the quake3 engine to accommodate multiple cores and this simply isn't going to happen, that's not what this team is about, nor do we have the time and resources to do so.

that's a pity .. but thanks for explaining
if you don't like uptown, you are basically hating urban terror.

#40 User is offline   flypp Icon

• Account: flypp

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:03 PM

View PostFrankie V, on 19 August 2012 - 03:44 PM, said:

Would someone please explain why a game like Urban Terror would really need features like multiple cores or processors when the game runs fast enough on a single?

We get a fair number of feature requests with out explanation as to how such addition would be of benefit to the many with out bias of personal preference.

I guess that features are requested from competitive clan members. It's common to see in the clans' websites tips to increase performance and express cpu's full power (setting graphical to minimum, using non-optical mice and even CRT monitors).

Just my guess.

This post has been edited by flypp: 19 August 2012 - 08:03 PM

• (12 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942