• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

After Release Party Rate Topic: -----

#61 User is offline   ItsMe Icon

• Account: itsme
  • Main tag: bc`

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:27 PM

BladeKiller said:

ItsMe: Why were the linux users able to figure it out when we released 4.1 as a replacement for 4.0? They put 4.1 in a clean folder just like we said to do with 4.2. We have said it several times. It is not an update package for 4.1 (it wouldn't be 1.2 g if it was only an update package for 4.1) Is it not possible for Linux users have more than one folder? For example, I have UrbanTerror41 with q3ut4 inside it and UrbanTerror42 with q3ut4 inside that. They are not seen as the same directories by Windows so when I play 4.1 it only uses the q3ut4 folder inside the UrbanTerror41 folder and when I play 4.2 it only uses the q3ut4 folder inside the UrbanTerror42 folder. Isn't Linux capable of the same sort of directory structure? This wasn't a problem with 4.0 to 4.1 and we have done the same thing with 4.2 so why is there so much confusion this time? The updater creates a UrbanTerror42 if you extract to its default folder, btw. Lots of people did not use the updater and downloaded via other means instead.

The Problem is _not_ q3ut4 the install folder - you can have multiple instances of the game in different directories as you wish from 3.7 till 4.2.
You have a folder called
.q3a
here you have all settings for all games based on the Q3A engine as subfolders, as an example q3ut4 or wop. This .q3a folder is the first in the search path of all Q3A based games searched for settings/ *.pak/ maps/ $WHATEVER.
Easiest way to solve should be change in the file code/qcommon/q_shared.h the line
#define BASEGAME                      "q3ut4"

into
#define BASEGAME                      "q3ut42"

Than at first start the game will look for q3ut42 in .q3a, when its not found it will be created. In this way you've got a fresh clean install.

There are always lots of bugs with a new release. You don't have to play it if you don't like it.

Wrong approach! I want to play the game, I love to play the game, but imho some things are steps backwards and not bugs, and some bugs are such bugs worth an alpha release not a beta <-- still my opinion
But I followed your advice and stopped playing 4.2 and did not migrate the Servers except the first on the release day - and I think a lot of people did that to. Why don't you encourage the players to play and change it that way the players want?

We are working on fixing the bugs and when enough are fixed maybe you will want to try it then.

Maybe I will, when than are enough players around that are willing to - did you look at the amount of servers/ players that _really_ play 4.2?

It really doesn't make any difference to us whether you play it or not since we make this because we enjoy making it. Period. Not for money. It's a chance to learn new things and develop different skills.

Touche - that's the argument I can't beat.
But why do you release it then? Why do you ask us players for our opinion? If you release it to the crowd, its not longer just your baby its ours - and we decide if we like it or not - and you can't tell me that it not bothers you when nobody/ just a few players play the game.

It's a hobby. If you want perfection I suggest you shell out $60 and buy a game made by a multimillion dollar dev house that's able to make it perfect for you.

Did I ask for perfection? No.
But you're right - I give TF 2 a shot and when all else fails there is still Quake Live.

View Posts.e.t.i., on 19 August 2012 - 06:31 AM, said:

We have never asked ioquake guys to help, we have never needed their help.

And I never said that - I did a suggestion to _do_ that. And iirc back in the days i've seen some posts of woekele in the ioquake forum - I forgot the most themes of them.

We've tried going the route of having a large QA and test team but that has historically never worked because all it did was increase the # of people who got criticized about how big a piece of junk the new release is. It's just been our experience that even if we do share our reasons the complaints will still stream in anyway along side any bugs that are found, including complaints and judgements that our reasons suck.

Its your game, your choices - its all by you. I just think that not a large QA team will do the best but a _good_ one.
Than you don't have such complaints about a sucking release

You just have to kick back and wait a few weeks while the wrinkles get ironed out. Go hiking, go camping, chase some women (or men) for a couple of weeks. Or play this and report bugs fast so they get fixed faster. The game will eventually smooth out and we'll be happy as clams again very soon.

I did that - that's why I answer this late :)

chase some women -->(or men)<--

Is that an offer ;)

I might as well also say that quake3/ioquake3 is designed to be a one thread program, having multiple processors was not a very big thing when the game was designed. It would take a major rewrite of the quake3 engine to accommodate multiple cores and this simply isn't going to happen, that's not what this team is about, nor do we have the time and resources to do so.

I never talked about the multi processor support of UrT. It would be better to make the game use less CPU and more GPU but that's another part of the story.

--
ItsMe

#62 User is offline   Pez Icon

• Account: pez
  • Main tag: strayA#

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:34 PM

View PostRonaldlee, on 25 August 2012 - 03:09 PM, said:

On August 16, 2012 the team said "1 or a few days" before it will be released. It has been 9 days

you've got to expect that from FS. It's only a hobby and they don't actually care about us

#63 User is offline   rastablaster Icon

• Account: rastablaster

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:25 PM

oh, stop u crying guys and let FS do their job.

#64 User is offline   Pez Icon

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:10 AM

View Postrastablaster, on 26 August 2012 - 11:25 PM, said:

It's not their job, its merely a hobby that they do for personal skill enhancement.

#65 User is offline   DeMS Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: dems

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:22 AM

View PostPez, on 27 August 2012 - 01:10 AM, said:

It's not their job, its merely a hobby that they do for personal skill enhancement.

Which is completely fine as they let us play the end result.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#66 User is offline   exitus Icon

• Account: exitus

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:29 AM

That's right, but that doesn't mean that we can't make suggestions in a friendly way.
And also, I don't have a problem if they take their time which is needed to make a good update to a great game, there is no need to hurry.
I think people just have complain about the way, information about the release was handled.
As far as I know, someone of the DevTeam announced that there would be the release in "a few days", but it took a lot more, than just a few days.
And this is ok, but please just announce things that are sure to happen, people don't lke beeing fooled by false information.
Also, there has never been a single word about the fact, that 4.2 was a beta.
Afaik, they said 4.2 will be released soon, which sounded like they were releasing the stable final version.
What I want to say is:
Not the way you work is a problem for us, the way information is shared with the community is, FS!

#67 User is offline   rastablaster Icon

• Account: rastablaster

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:01 AM

View PostPez, on 27 August 2012 - 01:10 AM, said:

the word 'job' does not necessarily denote "occupation"; e.g. "good job team".

#69 User is offline   Dougy Icon

• Account: dougy

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:16 AM

View PostBladeKiller, on 28 August 2012 - 10:11 PM, said:

if we can't do it for some reason we get hammered.

Drinking isn't the answer :/ (I JOKE)

I think UrT 4.2 is great on my crappy intel celeron 2.30 Ghz pc with 512 mb's of ram, i get a consistent 120+ fps, nice job...

#70 User is offline   Pez Icon

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:32 AM

View Postrastablaster, on 28 August 2012 - 09:01 AM, said:

the word 'job' does not necessarily denote "occupation"; e.g. "bad job team".

i get it, they did bad.

i'm guessing you copied that from google, because...

View Postrastablaster, on 28 August 2012 - 09:01 AM, said:

This post has been edited by Pez: 29 August 2012 - 08:37 AM

• (12 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942