Git Repository Hacked Rate Topic: -----

#81 User is offline   MAGNI Icon

• Account: magni

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:12 AM

looking forward to 4.2.015 blade, as well as a new auth! keep it up! :biggrin:

#82 User is offline   sun2 Icon

• Account: sun2

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:45 AM

I'm not completely sure how the old auth worked, but here's an idea for a new one

on first join:
player opens urt client
player enters username+password and client sends to auth server
if correct, auth server gives client a random 'auth key' eg. HJSGDKFHSFS3243GHJ which is also stored in the auth server user database

on subsequent joins:
player opens urt client
still use same 'auth key' from last time
no need to login

when player connects to game server:
client tells auth server it wants to be authed in a given game server(client also sends a random key different every time he connects to a server)
client sends auth key with this information (also to auth server)
if the clients auth key matches the 'current' auth key (in the auth server database)
  • then auth server tells the gameserver that that player is to be authed and gives the gameserver the random key
  • the gameserver just has to check that the random key from the auth server and the random key from the client match up
  • the game server now knows for sure that the player is who he claims to be

analysis
a malicious client(modified) cannot steal identity since the auth key lookup would fail
a malicious server cannot steal the players identity since the server never gets to see the auth key

#83 User is offline   hasufell Icon

• Account: hasufell

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:57 PM

View PostFrankie V, on 19 August 2013 - 04:51 AM, said:

We did not “chose” a GPL-2 engine we are licensed by id software. If you have issues with how we go about our business take it up with them. They are very much aware of who we are and what we do.

You did not read my post carefully. I was saying that I don't believe your modified ioq3 engine would be GPL-2 if it wasn't for the COPYLEFT.

read https://www.gnu.org/...t/copyleft.html

#84 User is offline   KroniK Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: kronik

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:44 PM

View Postsun2, on 20 August 2013 - 09:45 AM, said:

I'm not completely sure how the old auth worked, but here's an idea for a new one

OR you could simply do something similar to SSH or other standard encryption.

http://www.wimp.com/howencryption/

Im guessing that this is how it was set up in the first place... but anyway...

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#86 User is offline   JRandomNoob Icon

Community Moderator

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:52 AM

View PostFrankie V, on 20 August 2013 - 11:41 PM, said:

The game code is not closed source but rather FrozenSand is an open development team that allows anyone with skills to make improvements to this game /---/

Aww, Frankie.

By this definition, code is only closed if all the media it’s on is shredded, burned, encased in concrete and dropped into the Mariana Trench.

Really, this whole post looks like something found on the barn wall of a certain farm.
dswp.de
Beginner’s Guide to Urban Terror (woefully out of date)
Daily Deadnade (Last updated September 9, 2016)

#87 User is offline   thelionroars Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: thelionroars

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:03 AM

I have to agree, this is confusing the common and accepted definitions of open and closed source. Open source means anyone can view the code, which is not how Frozen Sand operates. However the point you're making is quite valid, entry to the development team is open - if you are competent and have something to contribute, you are generally welcome.

Offtopic - I got 3 paragraphs into the FSF definition of 'free software' before realising they were *^$%ing nuts. I'll stick with the OSI definition of open source TYVM.

#88 User is offline   thumb Icon

• Account: thumb

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:12 AM

Same here FS lots of LoVe!! I think you have done a hell of a job to make UT a Coool "shoot out" game. And I do not know how you get the project going (moneywise) but I dig you concept and full support platform wise. For that you deserve full repect and to hell with people who do not get that....

#89 User is offline   fudaddy Icon

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:29 PM

View Postthumb, on 21 August 2013 - 09:12 AM, said:

Same here FS lots of LoVe!! I think you have done a hell of a job to make UT a Coool "shoot out" game. And I do not know how you get the project going (moneywise) but I dig you concept and full support platform wise. For that you deserve full repect and to hell with people who do not get that....

Ditto. The community supports you.

#90 User is offline   Txc Icon

• Account: txc
  • Main tag: [Sk&Bh]

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

Oh & btw I forgot to mention few days ago I do agree that there are things must be redesigned about gameplay , but not everything , so I agree a bit with rayne2 .

This post has been edited by Txc: 22 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.urbanterror.info/members/donate/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942