• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The story behind Urban Terror 4.2 Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   thetesterman Icon

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:35 AM

I've been playing this game since the early days of v1, through good and not so great releases. But I must admit that this is one of the worst releases I can remember.. especially when compared to the previous state of the game (v4.1).

Having said that, I appreciate the incredible support and dedication to keep this game going.. I truly hope we can play the HD version of this game at v4.1 level.

Thanks
Tester

This post has been edited by thetesterman: 13 August 2014 - 12:36 AM

#32 User is offline   Lidys Icon

• Account: lidys
  • Main tag: sD|

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:38 PM

View PostBarbatos, on 14 July 2014 - 09:22 PM, said:

The number of players was drastically dropping before we even started working on the 4.2 update.

[...]

Sorry to disappoint you but 4.2 didn't kill the community.

I think it almost did.

The 4.2 Release wasn't the starting point of the decline, but the already reduced amount of players was then divised again by the release, when some made the switch and others decided to stay on the 4.1.1.

+ the fact that the first release was crappy (no offense) wasn't good for the average player's moral.

However, thank you for posting all these informations. It's a shame you didn't communicate earlier, as we might have helped you on a thing or another. (4.2 would've been welcomed better if we knew the story at that time)

You shouldn't worry about ingame performances, Im pretty sure everyone that has an old comp will have bought a new one before the hd release. :)

luv for you guys <3

#33 User is offline   Fragtag Icon

• Account: fragtag

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:09 PM

Im kinda appalled at the statement about the North American Community. Sure it be mostly dead, not comepletely. We here in 6th| have been bringing players to this game and old ones back to it as well (All From NA). Right now 90% of NA players are located in our clan, everyday we have applicants and active players. So you cant say "Dead" when it isnt dead, just mostly inactive.

Also @ "Barbie" Binary did do good things and as we've seen bad. I should know this more than anyone i was with him before he did his little incident. Also you are correct in the sense of "douche-baggery" since i got banned during his little escapade on both accounts of the leak and the heartbleed effect, also his constant belittling toward anyone in his teamspeak.

All of us need to realize that this commune is really harsh on our devs, they do this shit for fun,not because they have to. I mean even barbatos admits to the fact he was so depressed at the release of 4.2 he stopped coding for awhile. I've been playing this game for 11 or 12 years now, ive seen the rise and falls of urban terror and sure the release of 4.2 was not up to par, but that doesnt give you the chance to op-out since the "hitbox mesh" is buggy. I stayed(like many others) to see what was next, and it got better.

So i expect the new and highly anticipated release of HD to both take awhile, and be fulfilling to most of the people of what is left in this game since as "barbie" as told us he is wanting a week for more tests. Well "barbie" i hope your testing pays off, because wether you want to face it or not, because this release might lay the final nail in the coffin and lay Urban Terror to rest.

#34 User is offline   don Icon

• Account: don
  • Main tag: GlaD-

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:57 AM

View PostBladeKiller, on 30 July 2014 - 06:24 PM, said:

I'm surprised to see so many still playing UrT in any form after all these years and with so many new games released during that time. The NA scene started dying before they killed STA. People were fighting so much with the league admins that they all quit. I'm friends with several of those admins and was in XTC at the time.

We killed our own leagues. Seti and GlaD finished off STA, but the fact either could be in a position to do so was the fault of the collective STA community. Bad attitudes drove off the rational admins, people like OB, Kr0m, rashly, NLC. In their place we got Seti, Keeper, FragginNewby, etc. GlaD was formed in part to spite Seti. I'm not justifying anything GlaD did, but there is a clear chain of events that led to STA's demise, and it started with the ****** attitudes of a large part of STA's playerbase. The players that made STA the best league were the same ones that killed it.

Can't deny it was a great era for NA competition, though. Up to FTW S5 was good--lots of activity, good players still playing, etc.

People blaming 4.2 obviously started playing after 4.1. The game was dying severely in 3.7--STA dropped to like 10 teams, and there were maybe 100 NA players online at peak times. When 4.0 was released, activity picked up and a lot of old school guys came back. Soon enough, things started to slowly decline again in terms of old school #s, but there was so many new players that it wasn't noticeable. By the time FTW started, there were enough 4.0 newbies good enough to play in clans + South Americans that FTW had a healthy number of teams. But the core of old school (2.x-era) players was still steadily declining. By the time FTW died off in season 6 or so, what had happened was almost all of the remaining old school guys had left (GlaD, VeX, iCu, Ven), and many of the 4.0-era players had also begun to quit. There was nothing to bring an influx of new players--the standalone release was a 1 shot deal. The activity spike between 4.0 and FTW's death was hiding the fact that the core players were steadily leaving the entire time. Stuff like HD, 4.2, STA dying, FTW dying, binary doing what I said he'd do, etc. had no real impact on the decline that began back in 3.4-3.7 days, and began again in earnest after the 4.0 shininess wore off. The NA scene was finished by the time 4.2 came along.

I will say that the lack of an anticheat greatly accelerated the decline of the leagues, and made many people quit or return to retirement. We would have retained players for longer with a functioning anticheat...or maybe not, because so f***ing many people in FTW were cheating lol
The lack of AC is probably the only thing related to FS that really caused people to give up on the game.
GlaD-don
Past teams:
Partners in Terror | The Dark | Team Terror | Noobs Gone Wild | Xor | Blight Gaming | Area 51 Gaming | Team Lzuruha | Besserman6 | Console | No Care Bears | Zing | Pro5 | American Idols | Team Canada | No Defiance | Unlimited Gaming
<3 to the people who built and sustained the North American competitive community over the years. xil, r, vex, icu, bos, .e, '`|v|~, iF, -x-, ill, un, xor, glad & all the rest. thanks for the games

#35 User is offline   beautifulNihilist Icon

•   verified user   

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:03 AM

You and I have a silly history of petty disagreements.
This is one of those rare gems where I agree with every word.

<3

#36 User is offline   Piu Icon

• Account: piu

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:14 AM

I check this website from times to times to check out if there is any development improvement, hoping to get back to play it. I just felt the need to give my 2 cents on this thread after i read don's post, which i fully subscribe.

I played this game from beta 2.0 beta to 4.1, so i like to think that i know smth about community reactions on game changes. Thing is, if someone asked me what was the worst thing that ever happened to Urt since it's very beginning, I would most definitely say lack of anti-cheat. Most players that i knew back then, including myself, accepted it as a temporary stage for the next level (at least that was what we were promised). In other words, no one made a huge fuzz out of it because we "knew" the problem was going to be solved asap. It was not. And older players started to get fed up with delays on new AC system and the sudden rise of "new born stars in the non-AC era".

Don't get me wrong, we always had cheaters in UrT, but this was something completely new: it was a golden era for cheaters in leagues and tournaments, something we've never seen before in competitive gameplay. I remember that even some older players were busted on cheats.. it was madness! Needless to say this was the main reason for a massive drop out. I still recall several in game friends and team mates that played the game for years hibernating for a few months, waiting for the problem to be fixed and get back to action.

I recon a game is not made out of pro's perspective, because by default most of us would always complain about new features, since we've mastered the old ones. But UrT community always followed the top teams as an example and a main goal to achieve. If there aren't any, or if it's reduced to 1 or 2 teams, interest and competitive stimulation will be no more.

Aside from the non existence of an AC system i would also add the following reasons:
1) Like someone said already, most of UrT players that put their hearts on the game consisted of Q3/aq2 generation like myself, and let's face it, we're starting to get old! :tongue:
2) In the EU scene, the end of Clanbase was a deadly strike aswell. Even though i admire the UZ league folks, specially for their effort on pumping the CTF hype when EU was all about TS, fact is CB will always be remembered as the main league where EU players wanted to succeed. It's gone.
3) The continuous delay on new beta release for like 5 years or so.
4) Motherf**** hitboxes(aka "hits plz")! So many stressed caused to way too many people over this.. and i really enjoy nades over laser :tongue:
5) Lack of competitive stimulation year after year, caused by the combination of the above.
6) League of Legends.

As for me, I'm eagerly waiting for the HD version, since i'm tired of playing Battlefield and CoD on ps4! I'm sure the new UrT will look and feel awesome as always and I will for sure install the game again because it is without a doubt the most fun game I've ever played. UrT community is used to ups and downs.. like don stated, 3.7 beta was killing the game, imho because the following beta was being delayed for too long and happened exactly what's happening now, except the hitboxes were even worse than now (and 3.7 had Punkbuster!).

I was surprised with 4.0 boost of new and retired players. I genuinely thought the game was done after 3.7. I think we might experience that boost again when the HD is released.. let's hope it's not too late though... at least for me.

#38 User is offline   Piu Icon

• Account: piu

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:37 AM

Imo, the only thing that can prove that you're good is winning leagues/cups. And the only way to prove that without creating suspicion is adding a good AC system.

Ofc you could add the promotion thing, like ranks or wtv.. but like in every fps game where this is implemented it's kind of irrelevant since everyone can achieve the higher rank playing over 9000 hours. It's fun tho..

I would never support a system based on ranks/points determined on winning/losing games.. that's an invitation to cheat, because you'd have tons of folks tempted to cheat in order to win games and ranking up. Pretty dangerous stuff.

#39 User is offline   rYuuJiN Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: ryuujin

Posted 17 October 2014 - 03:15 PM

I agree with Piu on everything he said.
a thing of beauty is a joy

#40 User is offline   BorderFox Icon

• Account: borderfox

Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:23 AM

So to change the direction of the conversion I/we would be interested in.<br abp="823"><br abp="824"> 1) What can be done to prove that your that good?<br abp="825"> 2) Would the ability to prove your good diminish the side effects of cheating in general?

How about recognition for the players who hang in there.

I dunno, but anyone who has played UrT for a couple of years has to be good...no?

I agree pub servers is not the bar, and with 4.2... well servers are lacking admins/interest.

But... I made the change to 4.2 months ago, and it's good. But I think FS should give 'real' players more focus.

GJ FS

Border

BorderFox

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942