Urban Terror Forums: I made Turnpike back in the day, interested in converting to UE4 - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (11 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I made Turnpike back in the day, interested in converting to UE4

#81 User is offline   killspree Icon

• Account: killspree
  • Main tag: ds`

Posted 12 November 2015 - 04:51 AM

View PostFrankie V, on 12 November 2015 - 01:53 AM, said:

Well gray boxing is all about getting the water to boil so game mechanics is not even a consideration at the moment but since it's all from scratch FS now has the source and the opportunity to correct flaws during alpha testing. As shown the first pass was about getting the scale to match up going from a 4:3 to a 16:9 aspect ratio. Not a lot of fun.

The truth of the matter is there is not a lot of interest with in the team to do conversions as players will even complain if a shadow is out of place ;)

Since there is nothing out to complain about why be bothered with it?
Talking about masterpieces so you have casa pretty much the same, let's call it a Rembrandt of the urban terror museum.
Then you have Turnpike the Mona Lisa a redo version?

The van seems not the same height the pillars are way different, basically nothing is the same anymore and can only be recognized by someone who know's tp like the back of his hand.

My suggestion and I'm not trying to be rude is to get the mappers consent or who ever has the right over the content and do it right or don't do it at all and make some nice new maps.

Greetings,

This post has been edited by killspree: 12 November 2015 - 05:05 AM

#83 User is offline   killspree Icon

Posted 13 November 2015 - 03:54 AM

With 4.2 FS does not own about 90% of the asset package and the copyrights remain with the original talent so about 90% of the game assets have to be built from scratch.

<<

So you mean to say if you asked wu if you can make tp like you do with casa and he agree then it is all ok?
Or are the right simply not available?

Really a shame I would love to see tp build by the original maker(s) co operating with fs.

Perhaps it's me confused how to go about with making some else's map but if i where to copy from the original map abbey for instance and change things it's not legal but if i make everything from scratch and stay the same or change either way it is legal.

This post has been edited by killspree: 13 November 2015 - 04:10 AM

#85 User is offline   Snowball Icon

•   verified donor   
  • Account: snowball

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:46 AM

I thought it was possible to create a .map file out of a .bsp file?

AnonDafb did it a while ago with a .pk3 I posted on the forum wich only contained the .bsp file: http://www.urbanterr...post__p__360624

This post has been edited by snowzz: 13 November 2015 - 12:00 PM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#86 User is offline   killspree Icon

Posted 13 November 2015 - 01:34 PM

Read your post on conversion and can not find out what you mean with GDK (game developers tool) thought you mean UDK perhaps?

So After reading that I wanted to find a way and found noesis convert a map from bsp to anything,
indeed the problem seems to be going from a bsp to static mesh (bsp brush has 6 sides)

We use caulk to not draw a brush face we don't see in game in Radiant so to do a conversion that way will be labor intensive needing to remove a lot geometry.
But it is possible when you convert from bsp to object in noesis you get the whole package including models unlike a conversion using a batch script like snow explains.
Import in noesis:
Posted Image
Going to need import in other 3d app like blender or 3dsmax, Turnpike original geometry in Ue4:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Import errors:
No smoothing
Degenerate tangent bases
To many materials consider breaking up in multiple assets

This post has been edited by killspree: 13 November 2015 - 07:31 PM

#88 User is offline   killspree Icon

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:33 PM

View PostBladeKiller, on 13 November 2015 - 09:45 PM, said:

Do you have permission to use the models that are in ut4_Turnpike for commercial use?

This is an example to show it is possible frankie say's he doesn't have the .mapfile
If anyone is able to get the right's for it it's you FS.
(also before hd would have been made in q3 but now ue4 so if it wasn't made in ue4 would you still not have permission to use it?

Also FS should be able to BAN servers who run illegal modified maps and i'm not going to call names but we all know what i'm talking about.

If you want to make it popular you should just give the players what they want.
At the very least use the original geometry as collision!
Or build it from scratch using this as a blueprint then it's legal and since frankie himself said he only has 10% of the asset's I see no reason to not make the 100% from scratch instead of the 90%.

Greetsz,

This post has been edited by killspree: 13 November 2015 - 11:41 PM

#90 User is offline   killspree Icon

Posted 14 November 2015 - 01:14 AM

View PostFrankie V, on 14 November 2015 - 12:17 AM, said:

Well as you found out there is a slew of problems when attempting a 1-1 conversion but since you do have the basic layout, and permission from the original mapmaker to convert it, why not make it a community project?

Using GDK the pipeline is such that really only one person at a time can work on a map where with UE4 you can x-reference parts of the map using level streaming where a content artist can check out just the level, say the interior of Metro, work on it to perfection and then commit it to the project actual.

There is a lot of cool tricks one can do to make build easier like if you place your source chain inside the project folder then ever time you update an element, like a texture, UE4 sees the change and updates the project asset.

I'll even help out if you send me the layout I'll gray box it for you and break down the levels, take care of the relative scaling problem, and send it over to you.

The cool thing about UE4 is there is nothing stopping anyone from starting their own mapmaking crew.

Suggest setting up a git repository not github this way you can have a master branch from witch you work and push finished assets yeee :)
(but I think that is what you mean anyway)
Did not ask anyone permission to get access to the files of tp it was merely to show it can be done.
The only way I will even come near TP If if I get the full support from FS the mapmaker and or anyone who has right's over it.

My suggestion since you are the far more experienced mapper is you take the lead on it and let the community (who ever want's it help out where they can)

(I already have been looking at the casa fountain you needed)

Greetsz,

This post has been edited by killspree: 14 November 2015 - 03:07 PM

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942