• +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

mapping with 3d's studio max Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   |NV|S (old) Icon

• LocationSanta Clarita, CA

Posted 21 January 2006 - 10:10 PM

3d packages are far more versatile then level editors. The real problem then becomes 3d -to- game engine lighting and gameplay scripting. If the entire level is designed in max for example, then programmers need to create tools for the 3dpackage for things like triggering, collision, rendered and non rendered volumes, lighting, and yes, everyones favorite....export.

twentyseven has a lot of great plans to bring Urt into next gen or beyond, and I think learning these tools and processes can be very benificial to those that want to continue making levels.

#12 User is offline   Vaughan (old) Icon

• LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:27 PM

One can only hope that a mapper will not be required to use a 3d modeling program to map for the next iteration of Urban Terror. A lot of people just don't have the funds to shell out for such an expensive program as opposed to a free download of gtk radiant.

#13 User is offline   Hybridesque (old) Icon

• LocationBradford, UK

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:34 PM

well, there's always gmax.

#14 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations
  • Account: woekele

Posted 31 January 2006 - 11:17 PM

And theres other cheaper way to get your software... Like student-licenses and uhm *borrowing* it from someone else of course..

#15 User is offline   Vaughan (old) Icon

• LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 02 February 2006 - 07:38 PM

Gmax bah, "borrowing", sorry I dont do that. I've used radiant and "tried" to use Max, Maya, etc. I just cant understand 3d modeling programs. They, at least in my opinion, have a much higher learning curve than GTK Radiant.

Again, hoping that the new iteration wont require a 3d modeling program for mapping.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   Hybridesque (old) Icon

• LocationBradford, UK

Posted 02 February 2006 - 07:46 PM

Hopefully, Flipped Normals may be able to help in that respect with 3D Modelling tuts and so on. GtkRadiant is a dinosaur to be honest. You should look at SketchUp perhaps, it's pretty nifty.

#17 User is offline   DoctorDominology (old) Icon

• LocationDouble Six

Posted 02 February 2006 - 07:54 PM

[quote name='"Hybridesque"]Hopefully' date=' Flipped Normals may be able to help in that respect with 3D Modelling tuts and so on. GtkRadiant is a dinosaur to be honest. You should look at SketchUp perhaps, it's pretty nifty.[/quote']

Forgot I had switched from Vaughan to this name a while back....been gone for a while. Anyway, some of us "dinosaurs" prefer to use "dinosaurs" since we know the quirks in the program and prefer the "enemies" we know to the ones we don't :wink:

#18 User is offline   Hybridesque (old) Icon

• LocationBradford, UK

Posted 02 February 2006 - 08:06 PM

Time for the meteor to strike perhaps. That being said, I'm hardly familiar with 3ds max myself, though I can see why FS has gone the way of SketchUp and 3ds max. I like SketchUp a lot, just need to get to grips with 3ds max properly.

#19 User is offline   illogical Icon

•   verified user   
    Retired Master Server Administrator
  • Account: illogical
  • Main tag: 6th|

Posted 02 February 2006 - 08:48 PM

SketchUp? Never heard of that. Have to look it up.

#20 User is offline   Hybridesque (old) Icon

• LocationBradford, UK

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:58 PM

I like it, pretty intuitative like pencil, paper and rule. Flash put me onto it for my birthday last year. Pretty basic but very useful for drafting stuff. I understand that BladeKiller and some others use it to texture stuff instead of using 3ds max because it's nicer to use for that.

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942