• You cannot reply to this topic

mapping with 3d's studio max Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   illogical Icon

•   verified user   
    Retired Master Server Administrator
  • Account: illogical
  • Main tag: 6th|

Posted 02 February 2006 - 10:54 PM

Yeah, I took a look at it. $495 for a single license, pretty reasonable. I don't think I'd drop the money for it, but it's still cool.

#22 User is offline   Shminkyboy Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper
  • Account: shminkyboy

Posted 03 February 2006 - 12:26 AM

XSi is around $600

#23 User is offline   Seven of Nine Icon

•   former FS member   
  • Account: sevenofnine
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 03 February 2006 - 06:16 AM

there are allot of add-ons for max for textureing etc
And DoctorDominology aka Vaughan the steep learning curve was a problem i had too but www.3dbuzz.com is a real good starter, the community always helps you out and gives links to allot of other sites. Start with the buzz tut's they helped me on my way.... although they are for max 4 or smt like that the basix are still the same.

#24 User is offline   Dufkni3n Icon

• Account: dufkni3n

Posted 03 February 2006 - 12:31 PM

sketch up is a great tool, i use it for univeristy almost everyday. although 3dsmax has way more options, runs faster (sketchup cant handle complex models) and has a millions more options, sketchup has this easy way of drawing that works brilliant

pff i still find 500 dollar a lot of money!

(i got a serial from my univerisity... if you can keep good secrets and really(!) want sketchup pm me)

#25 User is offline   |NV|S (old) Icon

• LocationSanta Clarita, CA

Posted 03 February 2006 - 06:34 PM

Yes, im pretty sure that all levels will be made in the 3d package. there wont be any more support for a cumbersome and atiquated brush-based solution. I know change is bad for some people, but if you want to play with the rest of us, you need to. ;-)

Besides, you can make seksi levels like this.

www.s8s.info/crenshaw_3d_test_11.jpg

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#26 User is offline   Hybridesque (old) Icon

• LocationBradford, UK

Posted 03 February 2006 - 07:54 PM

Biggest hang up I have about SketchUp is just that you can't export as ASE, though I think you can do it as OBJ though I haven't tested this.

#27 User is offline   DoctorDominology (old) Icon

• LocationDouble Six

Posted 10 February 2006 - 08:02 PM

So |NV|S, what you are saying is that the new iteration of urban terror wont support the Q3 style files for maps? I've never released any of mine as I am too much a perfectionist. I end up trying to perfect something so much that I end up ruining it. My problem is that having spent so much time with GTK I can probably say I know it like the palm of my hand now. The time issue of having to learn a 3d program is what concerns me.

#29 User is offline   |NV|S (old) Icon

• LocationSanta Clarita, CA

Posted 12 February 2006 - 03:48 AM

[quote name='"DoctorDominology"]So |NV|S' date=' what you are saying is that the new iteration of urban terror wont support the Q3 style files for maps? I've never released any of mine as I am too much a perfectionist. I end up trying to perfect something so much that I end up ruining it. My problem is that having spent so much time with GTK I can probably say I know it like the palm of my hand now. The time issue of having to learn a 3d program is what concerns me.[/quote']

Its all relative. You spent time learning Radiant, now you will have to learn something else. The learning curve isnt that much different. I think of Level design as a constantly evolving process. You are always learning and utilizing new techniques and tools. Its part of the fun of actually building enviroments. Dont worry, you will pick it up rather easy.

#30 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 12 February 2006 - 12:32 PM

what kind of map format do you export that makes radiant or any 3d modelling software other than 3ds impossible to use?

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942