• +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

mapping with 3d's studio max Rate Topic: -----

#32 User is offline   Hybridesque (old) Icon

• LocationBradford, UK

Posted 12 February 2006 - 06:21 PM

You export it as a .md3 or .ase so far we haven't had any luck with radiant using .obj's .

That rules out exporting from SketchUp directly

#34 User is offline   Hybridesque (old) Icon

• LocationBradford, UK

Posted 12 February 2006 - 06:32 PM

it seems pretty fair though for what it is.. I got pretty familiar with it and know how to work it. I find 3ds max a pain in the backside still.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#36 User is offline   Hybridesque (old) Icon

• LocationBradford, UK

Posted 13 February 2006 - 06:23 AM

GtkRadiant has it's uses too, for the beginners to get an understanding of what's going on. Each has their place. I think it would be foolhardy to not support GtkRadiant.

#37 User is offline   DoctorDominology (old) Icon

• LocationDouble Six

Posted 14 February 2006 - 08:01 PM

[quote name='"Hybridesque"]GtkRadiant has it's uses too' date=' for the beginners to get an understanding of what's going on. Each has their place. I think it would be foolhardy to not support GtkRadiant.[/quote']

Thank you :wink:

I suppose I could purchase a good 3d program like 3DS Max. One concern I have is this though. As a current modder for a game called Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind (just a texture artist, I reskin existing models to create new clothing designs) I understand that their new game Oblivion will support only 3DS Max 5, which is no longer easily available as 3DS Max 7 is the latest. Now the real question is this. When the next iteration of Urban Terror comes out, will you be required to use a certain version of 3DS Max or will any version do?

#38 User is offline   Hybridesque (old) Icon

• LocationBradford, UK

Posted 14 February 2006 - 08:23 PM

I'm willing to bet as long as you can produce ASEs, you'll be fine.

#39 User is offline   |NV|S (old) Icon

• LocationSanta Clarita, CA

Posted 16 February 2006 - 03:28 PM

[quote name='"Hybridesque"]GtkRadiant has it's uses too' date=' for the beginners to get an understanding of what's going on. Each has their place. I think it would be foolhardy to not support GtkRadiant.[/quote']

Actually, GTKRadiant is a cumbersome tool at best and making anything complex is going to require the use of some 3d package anyway. Why not just add support into a 3dpackage for triggering and call it a day. One file format, no more fumbling with multiple tools.

Just about every major studio is doing this. Hardly anyone uses map editors anymore, there really isnt a need to. Even collision/bsp - nav meshes can be created in 3d....so why not?

As for "beginners not having an understanding of 3d" thats not a valid concern for what tool a developement house chooses. Faster asset pipeline, ease of use, etc....thats what really matters. People are just going to have to get used to if they want to create levels.

#40 User is offline   Hybridesque (old) Icon

• LocationBradford, UK

Posted 16 February 2006 - 04:04 PM

well, GMax and 3ds max don't top the ease of use rankings for newbs. If you're going to have a free next gen Urban Terror, Frozen Sand better think about what the community are going to use for Levels, at least some thought of them would be appreciated.

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942