• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

A seemingly insurmountable problem Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Timbo (old) Icon

Posted 05 January 2006 - 04:25 PM

It's certainly not bug-free, but bugs will be fixed and the list of advantages will only grow as time goes on.

For what it's worth this should be fixed in the latest revision. For future reference, bugs are likely to get fixed much more rapidly if you use the bug tracker. The forum is really meant for discussion only.

[quote name='"fs"]btw' date=' I get choppy video whatever the nice value for some reason and mouse sensisitivity seems way up whatever the setting and I usually want it slow. in addition, sound quality is degraded.[/quote']

Can you elaborate on "choppy video"? This isn't something anybody else has reported. In which revision do you first see it?

The mouse input in the closed source linux version employs a hack in order to bring the sensitivity value into a range that is similar to the Windows client. Unfortunately this also introduces a small amount of mouse acceleration for low speed mouse movements. This hack has been removed in ioq3 and replaced with a more legitimate fix that brings its input in line with the Windows version. If you don't like it, you can try playing with cl_mouseaccel and sensitivity.

Sound quality should not really be any better or worse, but it will certainly seem a little "different". With OpenAL, Q3 is no longer responsible for any of the actual sound mixing, so if you're having problems, blame your installed OpenAL library. OpenAL gets you position audio (i.e. > 2 speakers) and realistic doppler effects for free. If you don't like the OpenAL sound, it can be disabled with s_useOpenAL 0.

WRT cheating, I think the prevalance of cheats is rather overestimated in general, but that's just an opinion. Nobody can really know. The existence of PB gives people a (false) sense of security that cheating is not possible, so there is less suspicion and witch hunting.

#12 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 05 January 2006 - 04:33 PM

choppy video was like instant freezies out of nowhere, not frame drops, a complete freeze every 10 mins or sth. the version was from when I posted that.

about sound, i was thinking then, it's probably openal or sth else between openal and the speakers.

interesting info on mouse.

[quote name='"Timbo"]The existence of PB gives people a (false) sense of security that cheating is not possible' date=' so there is less suspicion and witch hunting.[/quote']
public cheats are usually caught. and come on, how many gamers - especially of the age group that mostly wants to cheat - know how to code cheats?

#13 User is offline   Timbo (old) Icon

Posted 05 January 2006 - 07:43 PM

[quote name='"fs"]choppy video was like instant freezies out of nowhere' date=' not frame drops, a complete freeze every 10 mins or sth. the version was from when I posted that.[/quote']

I don't really have an explanation for that. The only things that comes to mind is an errant OpenAL library that is starving the main thread.

[quote name='"fs"][quote="Timbo"]The existence of PB gives people a (false) sense of security that cheating is not possible' date=' so there is less suspicion and witch hunting.[/quote']
public cheats are usually caught. and come on, how many gamers - especially of the age group that mostly wants to cheat - know how to code cheats?[/quote]

Sure, but that's not what I mean. Without PB, your average gamer immediately (irrationally) comes to the conclusion that any suspicious behaviour is down to cheating. My point is that PB has a placebo effect more than anything else, preventing those who would normally assume a good player was cheating from doing so by giving them the impression that it is not possible.

#14 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 05 January 2006 - 08:03 PM

it has a placebo effect yes, but it's not a placebo completely.

ps. I've asked about open source anticheating in icculus' list. it didn't seem in theory to be possible to be made secure in open source.

#15 User is offline   Timbo (old) Icon

Posted 05 January 2006 - 08:39 PM

Anti-cheating efforts aren't really "secure" with a closed source game either, just more difficult to circumvent.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 Guest_Caffeine

Posted 06 January 2006 - 12:52 AM

Hey Timbo -- I certainly didn't expect you of all people to show up here. :D

[quote="Timbo"]
For what it's worth this should be fixed in the latest revision. For future reference, bugs are likely to get fixed much more rapidly if you use the bug tracker. The forum is really meant for discussion only.
[/quote]
Great. I would've used bugzilla, but the forum was just so much more convenient. Sorry about that.

[quote]
[quote name='"fs"]btw' date=' I get choppy video whatever the nice value for some reason and mouse sensisitivity seems way up whatever the setting and I usually want it slow. in addition, sound quality is degraded.[/quote']

Can you elaborate on "choppy video"? This isn't something anybody else has reported. In which revision do you first see it?
[/quote]
I was experiencing choppy video as well. It started happening for me some time in December; the problem was absent in a November 30th checkout but was present in one from December 11th.

Strangely, though, I can no longer reproduce the problem with any build... I've upgraded kernels (-mm to vanilla), glibc, Xorg, gcc-4.0, nVidia's driver, and a bunch of other stuff as well recently, so maybe it was a combination of some things.

#17 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 06 January 2006 - 06:12 PM

in theory, freezes could be related to priorities applied on individual systems used by it, and how a scheduler operates.

#18 Guest_Caffeine

Posted 06 January 2006 - 07:59 PM

Well, you can always open a bug report on bugzilla anyways. Eventually it'll just be marked invalid if it's not a bug in ioQ3.

#19 Guest_Caffeine

Posted 07 January 2006 - 03:29 AM

Ok, forget what I said; I just experienced stuttering while playing on an UrT server with ioQ3. I haven't compiled OpenAL cvs in a while though, so I'll rule that out then submit a bug report.

#20 User is offline   Timbo (old) Icon

Posted 07 January 2006 - 02:48 PM

Can you be any more specific about the circumstances in which it occurs? You can rule out any OpenAL involvement by setting the s_useOpenAL cvar to 0 (and issuing a snd_restart).

It might be helpful to have a demo of the problem, so if you could record one that would be good.

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.frozensand.com/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942