• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hit Detection Explained Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   Naked Assassin (old) Icon

• LocationScotland

Posted 16 August 2006 - 01:23 PM

i think theres also issues with net code as far as SiR told me q3 cuts information so if you have a 25000 rate on a 10000 server your losing information it cuts it instead of compressing or lowering it to match which may explain the magic of missing bulleks.

I think you are getting mixed up here Presedente. your /rate 25000 just sets the maximum bytes per second received from the server.  If the sv_maxrate is at 10000 then the most bytes the server will send to any connecting client will be 10000. It's like a trickle of water through a large pipe.

If you set /rate 10000 and the sv_maxrate was 25000 then you MIGHT have a point.

http://ucguides.sava...connection.html

rate: Identical to the rate setting in Quake2 in that it controls packets so that your downstream connection bandwidth does not get saturated. Setting controls maximum bytes per second.

Note that with 1.27 or above and a Stac/Microsoft compressed connection you can no longer use higher rates than normal for your connection type.

In 1.29 and above data packets are compressed server side before being transmitted to the client. Even though rate cap limits will be unchanged the actual amount of data sent in packets for a given rate limit will be greater as upto 5:1 compression is possible. In essence a 8000 rate cap limit could mean that after decompression on the Quake3 client you are actually receiving 12000+ bytes for a rate cap of 8000. Connection tweak tables have been adjusted to reflect changes in 1.27 and 1.29.

Point release 1.32 added the sv_lanForceRate cvar whhich can force all clients on a LAN to use the maximum rate regardless of the client's rate setting.

Servers limit maximum rate so there really is no point in setting it higher than the server you are playing on allows - See cg_lagometer for a guide on how to adjust this setting.

As for true "Missing bullets" - they are simply to do with packet loss which is either caused by your connection to your ISP or other applications connected to the internet which "steal" the bandwidth for short times, such as IRC/MSN etc running.

In most cases of missing bullets though it is down to either a lack of aim, spamming bullets which causes spread (which you dont see because not every bullet has a tracer) and other in game factors.

#32 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations
  • Account: woekele

Posted 16 August 2006 - 01:43 PM

I agree with FS about this. Sure, there might be glitches in 3.7 hitdetection, but gamers will keep screaming "HITS!!!! GG SID!!!" even when the hitdetection would be 200% perfect.

Btw, dont forget that bad servers also can make the hitdetection go bad.

#33 User is offline   Hito]{iri (old) Icon

• LocationBelgium

Posted 16 August 2006 - 01:43 PM

but gamers will keep screaming "HITS!!!! GG SID!!!" even when the hitdetection would be 200% perfect.

Yeah , i agree , ppl need to know that they dont aim perfectly always ...

#34 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations

Posted 16 August 2006 - 01:59 PM

If we spent more time being constructive, and working towards the goal of  helping make a better mod rather than who is the current developers pet, we have a much nicer atmosphere on the forum.

Are you talking about QA-people here? Yes, we are working on help making a better mod. But in the end, it comes down to having people in SID that have the time and the will to create something. It's not like we can just say "Hey Twentyseven, 3.7 hitcode suxx!!111 Write us a new one, ffs!". Or like "Yes Twentyseven, I know you have years of experience and lots of knowledge about hit/netcode, but I read about something called 'tickrate' and now I think I know better then you!!!11 You should do this and this and this."

No.

#35 User is offline   Hito]{iri (old) Icon

• LocationBelgium

Posted 16 August 2006 - 02:01 PM

Well , we QA ppl , well lets say about 15 - 20 active ppl (not even that much) ; the community , how big ? 1000 ? lets take 20 / 1000 = 2% ; u you think the whole 98% agrees with us 2% ?? ....

#37 User is offline   Hito]{iri (old) Icon

• LocationBelgium

Posted 16 August 2006 - 02:16 PM

Raider, no offence , your a great guy realy,

but let it be ...

#38 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations

Posted 16 August 2006 - 02:26 PM

Raider, I didnt see anyone saying one of the 4 examples you gave.

#39 User is offline   Hybridesque (old) Icon

• LocationBradford, UK

Posted 16 August 2006 - 02:26 PM

You should have let sleeping dogs lie.

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942