• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hit Detection Explained Rate Topic: -----

#76 User is offline   Mobab (old) Icon

Posted 19 August 2006 - 07:23 AM

Here's some old screenshots that has my lagometer showing spikes and stuff.

Posted Image
This one shows a tiny bit of black in the ping.  Any button I press or let go while this is going on is invalid.  For example, I'd reload, go through the entire reload animation, but end up with the same amount of magazines and rounds.  Or I'll walk foward, let go of the foward button, but I'll continue to move foward w/o pressing any button.  Sometimes, it's sooooo thin you can barely see it.

Posted Image
This one shows vertical red lines.  I'm not sure why or what causes this.  But it seems to have cleared up (mostly) lately.

Notice how the down triangles too.  Also, my gamma isn't that bright in game, although it is maxed out.  It doesn't look that bright.

#77 User is offline   Hybridesque (old) Icon

• LocationBradford, UK

Posted 19 August 2006 - 07:29 AM

Oh god dude, you're slaying the levels...

#78 User is offline   Kr0m Icon

•   former FS member   
    Lead Forums Administrator
  • Account: kr0m

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:43 AM

Netgraph cropped from the screenshots.

(Mobab, you could try using IrfanView for simple imaging tasks. It's a decent little program and best of all its free! :) http://www.irfanview.com )

#79 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:47 AM

The yellow is the server not the client. TwentySeven has always told me that when you see yellow triangles in the top of the netgraph the server is crapping out. ut_timenudge affects the green part of the netgraph. TwentySeven says to increase timenudge by 10 for every pixel blip in the green. Ideally the green should be a flat line not jagged.

a post of 27 said it differently!11!111one

http://www.forums.ur...3.html#msg42713

#80 User is offline   eLv (old) Icon

Posted 19 August 2006 - 03:02 PM

I agree with his feelings : Stating 3.7 hitcode is fine and justifying the unhit with 'bad servers and msn/irc can affect hits' is so silly...

Normally when someone is unhit yes, you are unhit too (server load/bandwidth issues) but some guys are reliabily unhit, I mean on almost every server, every day, etc etc so there must be something wrong with hitcode in relation to cvars or particular connection characteristics (pl/pt connections for example =))..

Not considering when you try to hit someone not moving from his side in the head...You can even fire everything you have and you won't hit If you dont aim at the neck. Please tell me this is a load or bandwidth issue, maybe I have a mouse eating my ADSL line :)

MSN has advertising which changes every so often contained in the program. It also sends usage stats and obviously has to tell the MSN network that you are online, and scan for 'buddies' to come online.  IRC is much the same, as is any program which uses the net connection when it is open. 

http://forum.mess.be...p?showtopic=721

If you can offer me an proper technical explanation about how these would not affect people playing online (especially those on low bandwidth connections) then I would love to see it.

The point was unhit exists and you cant justify it with 'msn/irc usage'. Anyway 4k/s of IRC traffic on a 80k+ ADSL do not affect ping of bandwidth in a relevant way. For msn it's a bit different, more traffic, more CPU usage etc etc can surely make you loose hits but there are some demos around of top clans players firing 30 lr300 bullets and getting 0 hits during CWs and I dont think they were downloading pictures of their girlfriend via MSN :)

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#81 User is offline   Mobab (old) Icon

Posted 19 August 2006 - 09:20 PM

Netgraph cropped from the screenshots.

(Mobab, you could try using IrfanView for simple imaging tasks. It's a decent little program and best of all its free! :) http://www.irfanview.com )

Thanks for cropping them.

#82 User is offline   TwentySeven Icon

•   former FS member   
    Lead Engine Developer
  • Account: twentyseven

Posted 23 August 2006 - 04:14 AM

*boggle*

This post isn't even close to how the hit detection works in urban terror. (or in cs:source..)

For one, bullets have no velocity, they're "rays", so they do their entire travel instantly.  Any perceived travel time is due to us not predicting where bullets land on the client, but rather waiting for the server to confirm it.

#83 User is offline   AKGRIZZLY (old) Icon

• LocationAlaska

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:54 AM

ownd...lol?

#84 User is offline   TwentySeven Icon

•   former FS member   
    Lead Engine Developer
  • Account: twentyseven

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:17 AM

My intent wasn't to "own" anyone.  I see 6 pages of discussion off a bad initial premise :(  Just thought I'd clear up that we use ray/mesh interesections for the bullets in urban terror.

#85 User is offline   Canacas (old) Icon

• LocationNorway

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:27 AM

You do not always need an intent to own. You just own.  :wink:

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942