Urban Terror Forums: Something about the SR8 is bothering me - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (15 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Something about the SR8 is bothering me

#51 User is offline   Impy Icon

• Account: impy

Posted 09 July 2007 - 04:59 AM

im curious about the movement penalty on the sr8 in its current state.  lately ive been noticing a lot of run and gun sr8'ers.  im not the only one experiencing it i know, and i was just wondering.  to me, this is just as annoying as the spas.  also what woek mentioned with the getting hit doesn't really affect aim if you just click through it.  I used to like using the sr8 but now i find it kind of lame both to use and get hit with ;)  anyways, if someone could provide some input about the movement penalty that would be great. 

-impy.

#52 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations
  • Account: woekele

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:45 AM

The MP afaik should still be there, but since the models got a little bigger and the hitdetection better, it doesn't seem to affect it that much anymore or something. Also, the arms are penetrable, which means you get shot in the torso/kevlar from almost every angle they hit your arm, it wasn't like that before.

I mean, in bigger areas, you have the chance to slide and walljump and whatever (but even then you're easy to hit for an experienced sr8'er), but in tight corridors (casa), the sr8 is just uber uber. We played a war 2 days ago where ALL 5 enemys had sr8 and damn effective with it. Now there's some people (sr8'ers) who will find that totally normal, but imho, it shouldn't be. Sr8 shouldn't be such a prominent weapon.

#53 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:12 PM

i'd favor no moving penalties provided they don't completely destroy the feel of the game or balance. like 2 bullets + no mp etc.

btw, idea: when being wounded, lower or more erratic mouse sensitivity. no, more erratic only, lower can be hacked.

#54 User is offline   Bumper (old) Icon

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:19 PM

The MP afaik should still be there, but since the models got a little bigger and the hitdetection better, it doesn't seem to affect it that much anymore or something. Also, the arms are penetrable, which means you get shot in the torso/kevlar from almost every angle they hit your arm, it wasn't like that before.

I mean, in bigger areas, you have the chance to slide and walljump and whatever (but even then you're easy to hit for an experienced sr8'er), but in tight corridors (casa), the sr8 is just uber uber. We played a war 2 days ago where ALL 5 enemys had sr8 and damn effective with it. Now there's some people (sr8'ers) who will find that totally normal, but imho, it shouldn't be. Sr8 shouldn't be such a prominent weapon.

Yes.
It's not noticable in CTF because as stated many times in this thread alone if you come across a bunch of handy sr8'ers you can die and try again ad infinitum [or get the flag whilst they sit still].
The problems really show up in a TS match and even a TS pub.

What impy said is correct too with the lower mp. I've seen guys go from a full sprint, hit the opposite strafe key and whilst still moving the mp is so low they can hit people from across the map.

Thing is I don't mind the usefullness of the Sr8 I would prefer all weapons to be usefull.
A good compromise is no kevlar with the Sr8.
That way the weapon is still usefull and you can still take a medkit.
This way it's difficult to deny an area without added support.

edited to add:
Fateswarm no mp?!?!?
You'd want a rail gun?
jesus christ.

#55 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:22 PM

It's not noticable in CTF because as stated many times in this thread alone if you come across a bunch of handy sr8'ers you can die and try again ad infinitum [or get the flag whilst they sit still].
The problems really show up in a TS match and even a TS

it can be noticeable. ctf isn't about single frags getting you score, it's about capping more than the others. if you lose time by being fragged you lose time capping. it only doesn't matter if the other team are noob campers which is off topic and obvious, since if they are worse they'll lose anyway. in anyway, in ctf if you lose time or being disturbed while the other team is in a similar situation but manages to get more frags, they win.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#56 User is offline   Mauri (old) Icon

• LocationLisbon, Portugal

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:20 PM

2 bullets + no movement penalty?

As much as I would like to see the sr8 with no movement penalty, I believe that the shit would really hit the fan in these forums if it happened. Why? Because sr8 would then be the dominant weapon (by far). 

I'm all for it though /

#57 User is offline   L3mMinG (old) Icon

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:31 PM

Make snipers drop the sr8 if you hit em while they're scoped ? :)

#58 User is offline   Homie Icon

• Account: homie
  • Main tag: ]$[

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:43 PM

In TS the larger models, and improved hit detection, have elevated the sr8 to even loftier heights of deadliness, to the point where ppl that are taking abit of a beating, "resort" to the sr8 to try and get some frags back!!.

I dont mean that they take an sr8 and camp it up ... they take an sr8 because they know that against an auto they stand a far greater chance of a single hit kill. so they bounce about and when they come across an opponent they stop dead and bang.. a half decent sniper will just pick you off anywhere.

get 4 ppl thinking like that on one team and u might as well pack up and go home.... theres no fight... no fun... u're just picked off at distance

I've always said that the SR8 should be a rail gun when stationary, but when moving at anything above walk/crouched speed, it should be shooting birds out the sky, with extremely high MP. the SR8 should be the gun of the 1337, not the gun of the masses

All u hear on maps like turnpike, abbey, casa, uptown is the boom of the sr8 going off everywhere (oddly the newer maps like mandolin, prague or austria dont seem to suffer quite so badly). U spawn...move... boom dead. (no fun), next round spawn go another route...boom dead (no fun), next round spawn move boom dead (no fun, and now getting quite annoyed), next round .....spawn....meet another auto on the other team!!!! and have a good lil fight then boom, dead killed by an unforseen snipper (other guy's now screaming thief)...spawn.... move .... boom dead (see how this gets REALLY boring after 3 or maps??)

I want the SR8 in the game, I dont want it nerfed into oblivion, like the UMP. But I do think in its current guise its overpowered, especially when its backed up by a Spas, DE and a couple of grens/vest!... maybe leaving the 3 shots (hell ..I'd give 'em 4 rounds and 3 clips... call urself a sniper??... cant hit with 12 rounds??.... go home!), and mp as is and removing the secondary would help... u want to camp up and snipe.... fine, but if anyone comes near you .. u better be damned good with ur pistol or that sniper rifle ur holding. Removing the abaility to simply switch to a spas/mp5, 'MIGHT' make some of the not so skilled (but still like cheap kills) think twice about taking the SR8 in their loadout... to the 1337 snipers out there the loose of the secondary wont be too much of an issue, because in my experiance, most skilled snipers kill using the SR8 or DE/Baretta anyway

#59 User is offline   RahX (old) Icon

• LocationPaducah KY

Posted 10 July 2007 - 04:29 PM

You kidding, Austria is sniperville. Try going down the tunnel, its all you can hear. At least on pub servers.

#60 User is offline   Homie Icon

• Account: homie
  • Main tag: ]$[

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:16 AM

idd.... austria was a bad example :evil:

Though as long as the opposing team is less than 50% snipers its not so bad, infact I dont have a problem rushing the tunnel, I seem to have far better success at removing a sniper at the other end there, than at say narrow on casa. Maybe its just the wider FOV the sniper has to work in compaired to narrow, where they seem to aim inside the tunnel and twitch for a hit.

The vis that a sniper has from the lower tunnel entrance is abit of an issue, but they are kinda exposed standing around there zoomed. I dont like the balcony bit (by the statue, overlooking the lower courtyards and stairs), that really is a sniper/grens dream

I still think the best compromise is the current gun (damage and mp) with maybe 1 extra round per clip (4) but no secondary, they can still have a vest, helmet, medipack, grens, and a DE/Barretta.

The choice as a sniper then is lean and fast (Sr8,DE,Grens,(medikit maybe)) or safer and slower (Sr8,DE,Grens,Vest). Dont forget that the Sr8 is the ONLY gun that has a 1 hit kill, that is a massive advantage over all other guns. The alternative is really that the gun has to be nerfed, but that will bring about more problems, as the snipers seem really quite happy with the current gun. changing the guns behaviour, unless quite a marked change happens will mean the the snipers will just adapt to the new gun, and we will still have the same situation. A marked change to the gun, could/would open a whole new can of worms.

Unfortunatly we have been here several times in the past, where SID (at that time) was constantly 'tweaking' the guns or a gun, beta after beta, only to end up chasing their tails. I would say atm, all the guns are fairly well balanced with the exception of a the UMP (adjusted for 4.1) the Spas (adjusted for 4.1) and the Sr8. There is no answer, some ppl will always feel hard done by everytime their fav gun is changed, likewise some ppl on the receiving end of certain guns will always feel they are overpowered/unfair.

the real trick for the devs to pull off, is an objective balance. Personally, I just feel the Sr8 needs something lost to balance the 1 shot kill advantage it has. I am talking about Team Survivor here, this is the other problem, other gamemodes alter the weapon balance due to the ability to respawn or not. I dont know (not being a CTF player) how this would affect the gun in CTF, though I wouldnt have thought it would be to much different to TS. Also theres the little option of can a sniper pick up a dropped secondary (my thoughts are, no they shouldnt be able to. That 'could' just lead to snipers hanging back to get a pickup b4 going on their merry way back in exactly the current position, only now with 4 rounds per clip instead of 3). Again its down to making a fair, balanced decision based on gameflow, feedback, and Frozen Sand's vision of what UrT is

after you Frozen Sand..... :-P

8-)

• (15 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942