Urban Terror Forums: Seven of Nines rebuttal to the cheat allegations - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Seven of Nines rebuttal to the cheat allegations Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Seven of Nine Icon

•   former FS member   
  • Account: sevenofnine
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 19 September 2007 - 09:13 PM

As you may know, yesterday evening I was banned from the urbanleague. Many people were stunned by this turn of events and wanted to know what has lead to this. I would now like to present my side of this unfortunate affair.

A few days ago [PIT]Hippie, who is one of the heads of the UAA (Urbanterror Admin Alliance), informed me that my name was found to be associated with a cheat by going through a server log from a public UrT server. I could not believe it at first, until I saw the information for myself, located at
http://sex-e.clanser...cfg-default.php . As you see under GUIDs there is one called "[edit: link removed for obvious reasons]". This is a GUID generated by a hack called urth.dll. There is only one instance of this ever being found in the logs, i.e. there is only one time where my IP has been used with this hack loaded. There is no denying that it was my IP and my machine and I am not trying to deny those facts. However, I am denying that I was the person behind this. People who know me also know that I'm passionate about Urban Terror and gladly promote this game to my friends and acquaintances. I know this is one of the many excuses that are used in similar situations but unfortunately for me, this is also the truth. Personally, this is a nightmare coming true. While I of course cannot provide waterproof evidence to the effect that this was not my doing I still hope that my years in the UrT community will speak in my behalf and you will give me the benefit of a doubt.

After I learned that the hack was called urth.dll. I searched for it on my PC, which traced it directly to my UrbanTerror folder. Here I found 2 alien items: urth.dll and sinject.exe. I was told Sinject is the injector that injects the hack .dll into the game. I naturally gave Hippie my full cooperation in this matter and together we performed all sorts of tests on this hack that he wanted to try. Overall, this process took over 2 hours, naturally with full cooperation on my part since I was as appalled as I am sure you would be to find something like this on your computer.

“How could this hack be on your PC if you didn't do it”, one would wonder. To the best of my knowledge this happened when I had a friend stay at my place. This was a friend I had previously introduced to Urban Terror. I strongly suspect that while he was playing UrbanTerror on my laptop, he installed these files. He then proceeded to go on a public UrT server and played with this hack loaded. This of course resulted in my good name now being tainted and dragged through the mud. Needless to say, I am furious with that person.

Now here’s where things start going very wrong and making me most disappointed in my peers. Within minutes of realizing the magnitude of this matter I informed UTZ|Valkyrja personally, because I was after all about to become a referee in the Urbanleague. She took it the only way she could and told me I would not be allowed to play in the league until this has been investigated and she has talked with [PIT]Hippie regarding this matter.

At the end of testing everything with [PIT]Hippie. He seemed swayed that it was indeed not something I would probably have done. Now, I don’t know if there was a miscommunication between [PIT]Hippie and the league admins or if they simply didn’t talk with each other at all. The next thing I heard about this matter was the public announcement which stated: “|it|SevenofNine - will be banned for the remainder of this season”. And to make matters even worse, my entire clan would get penalized in a manner that I find quite reprehensible and unreasonable, given my limited involvement in the league and the so called merits of this case. http://www.urbanleague.co.uk. I think that for someone who informed them immediately about the situation and has worked together with UAA admins to help find ways of detecting this foreign dll and given his full cooperation in this matter, they could have at the very least informed me personally about their decisions and actions decided upon before issuing a public announcement of this sort. I am greatly disappointed at the way this has been carried out. Not only for myself, but for all of my clanmates who have worked hard and given their all in the league. Raider and Valkyrja stated in public that they feel horrible for taking such an action and that they had no other choices. I beg to differ and would like this document to illustrate why.

Here is a list of things that I believe have been handled quite badly and things which should be considered before banning me:

- This hack has only been registered once in serverlogs. One instance of this being loaded, on a public server and thus not in any form related to the league or any other match activity. The reaction and penalties imposed on both me and my clan based on the merits of this far overreach what is reasonable.

- The admins have not asked me for my demos from the wars. Demos which would show that I certainly did not cheat. At the very least, I would have expected to have the matches I participated in evaluated for possible cheating activity before such actions would be even considered. This has however not been the case.

- Why on earth would I risk destroying my reputation which I have build up over 5 years time in this community for suddenly loading up a hack and playing on a public UrT server, under my own name. There is little doubt that my reputation will forever be tarnished by this, hence I ask: Do you find it plausible that I would suddenly do such a thing after all these years in our community?

I would like to thanks you all for all the messages of support I have gotten over the last 24 hrs from the community, it really helped me with my resolve. I would also like to extend my apologies to all the members of Clan InTribe for this unfortunate event. I guess I’ve learned my lesson about letting people on my laptop - the hard way. This has come as much of a surprise and shock to me as to you and if you have any questions regarding the matter or would like to talk about this matter. Please join #intribe @ quakenet and I will strive to answer all questions you might have.

Regards,
|it|Seven of Nine - Clanleader of the InTribe

And here is a link to an archive of the league matches I have participated in: http://intribe.iourt...nine%20wars.rar
Please feel free to examine them yourselves.

#2 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations
  • Account: woekele

Posted 19 September 2007 - 09:21 PM

I know you wouldn't cheat. So I won't see you as a bad person who cheated. I see you as an unfortunate person with a very stupid/wrong friend who dragged you into the mud ;) (please hurt him, badly)

I can understand the reaction of the admins though. They don't want to make exceptions when it comes to cheats I guess.

#3 User is offline   |it|XXINIXX (old) Icon

• LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 19 September 2007 - 09:31 PM

Not all ppl caught hacking should get the same penalty, depend on the severity of the act, and the impact of it.
Like, are all criminals getting the death penalties? No they dont, depends on the severity of their crime.

Quoted |it|Nexu

#4 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 19 September 2007 - 09:35 PM

I don't believe 7o9 would cheat at least under normal circumstances. As for reputation from it, I wouldn't care that much about it, like the asshats that don't cheat are that reputable, and I don't think you'd even cheat.

#5 User is offline   AKGRIZZLY (old) Icon

• LocationAlaska

Posted 19 September 2007 - 10:17 PM

I believe him surely, not that my opinion counts for so much in the first place, but there it is.

I don't know what sort of forensic process you went through but the first thing I'd have done is check the timestamps on those files and narrowed it right down, I assume you did as much and the times correspond to the time when your so called friend had access to your notebook.

This sucks, I think you've handled it the best way you could, your post was well written, I don't see what else you could do other than throw yourself on your sword and leave it to your Urban Terror peers to decide on.

I don't know much about appealing the sort of thing or the administration of the leagues but truly I wish you the best, and I hope you find some relief from this horse$hit.

Flog your so called buddy, I doubt he's even clear on the damage he did, but flog him anyway.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Bobbelin Icon

• Account: bobbelin
  • Main tag: ]Vz[

Posted 19 September 2007 - 10:22 PM

Man, I was kinda shocked at first when I read the news, but good to know what really happend.

#7 User is offline   Vaughan (old) Icon

• LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 19 September 2007 - 10:32 PM

Thus, why I don't play competitively in games I am actually good at, much less Urban Terror. All it takes is one thing and your name is trashed. Even though I haven't played in years until recently, I HAVE kept up with the community and I don't believe that Seven has cheated. Seeing a player with a spotless reputation for years have this happen.....I think the league admins need a good thrashing for what looks like a knee-jerk reaction.

#8 User is offline   Kr0m Icon

•   former FS member   
    Lead Forums Administrator
  • Account: kr0m

Posted 19 September 2007 - 11:32 PM

STA recently made the decision to ban 5 players. 3 players actually admitted to installing them for testing/learning purposes (ie: how to better catch them?) and 1 actually admitted to using it in a match.
While STA had understood these player's reasoning for installing them, these players also understood STA's 0 tolerance whether it be from matches or pub servers.

3 of these players are banned for life with a chance for probation after 1 year of good behaviour and other restrictions and guidelines while the 1 that cheated in a matched will be banned for life without the chance to get back in. We could have very well requested said player's demos from previous matches, admins won't normally do this unless there were playoff matches involved or if team captains actually file a dispute for those past matches.

I see how 7of9's case is a bit different though, but from an admin point of view, it's hard to take someone's word for it regardless of the actual truth. If they did, then people could claim the same story and get away with it in the future when they've maliciously used one. I do disagree with the admin's decision on penalizing his team without viewing his demos or not having team captains dispute then viewing his demos (which he's offered for all to see).
I see that they are reconsidering some aspects of their decision (according to their site now) and there might be some changes to their decision.

kenny on the other hand was caught while cheating in a STA match. I agree with their decision 100% to ban kenny from their league but again, I question on whether or not they should penalize the team without having proof that he used them in matches played in that league.

#10 User is offline   hogdog (old) Icon

• LocationSarasota,Fl

Posted 20 September 2007 - 04:17 AM

Well good luck with your problem sir

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942