Urban Terror Forums: Error: Cl_GetServerCommand: a reliable command was cycled out - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Error: Cl_GetServerCommand: a reliable command was cycled out Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#11 User is offline   illogical Icon

•   verified user   
    Retired Master Server Administrator
  • Account: illogical
  • Main tag: 6th|

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:08 PM

I took a look at the engine source to see what condition causes the error.  We all know that Quake III uses UDP for communication between the server and clients, but the question is, why?  Well, UDP is simply better suited for streaming information in a game.  Lost a packet?  Who cares, I don't want it now, the data is old.  So then, how do you create "reliability" in something that is by design unreliable?  You throw an incrementing key on the things you need to be reliable.  In this case, that key is serverCommandNumber.  The client merely has to keep track of the last key it saw, and if it notices a jump, the client knows it missed a reliable command.  Sadly, due to the underlying nature of UDP you will sometimes lose reliable commands, causing this error.

Now, I can think of a way around this, and I'll be letting Woekele know about it.  Though, he'll probably just end up forcing me to write it if I want to see it in there :-  Curse you! :-)

#12 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations
  • Account: woekele

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:23 PM

http://forums.urbant....html#msg128466

TCP :P Would make more sense to me to just send a message to the server saying you missed a critical command and let it resend it to you btw. But that would be like implementing TCP with UDP... hmmmm

To me it sounds like a way too major overhaul of critical portion of the engine tbh.

#13 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: nexu
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 07 January 2008 - 12:28 PM

This error usually only occurs during map changes right? Which commands are basically send during that time which normally aren't send during normal gameplay (as in map has been loaded)?
Maybe it's possible to establish a temporary TCP connection to send those commands and leave the game data stream on UDP. But than this _pretty much_ means breaking the Q3 protocol  since it needs changes on the server side as well :-D
But perhaps it can make the TCP connection only optional if the clients (well and server) are supporting it ... not sure or there are any protocol version check in the protocol spec it self.

Or ... instead of doing that. Add data verification routine in the netcode for commands that are critical so they can be resend. But it still involves meddling with the netcode which probably break compatibility.

#14 User is offline   Crazylys Icon

• Account: crazylys

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:10 PM

I get the same error sometimes, but always during the map cycle.

99% of the time it is when the map is cycling to ut4_eagle.

#15 User is offline   žalost (old) Icon

• vivisectionist
  • Locationseahorse seahell

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:02 PM

doesn't /rate 25000 fix this? i used to get this a lot, but after i did that it seems to not come around once but every few months.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   Delirium Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: delirium

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:05 PM

yes this happens on my server all the time when cyceling to island_v08 and superman_b4

#17 User is offline   žalost (old) Icon

• vivisectionist

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:13 AM

with setting /rate to 25000?

#18 User is offline   Delirium Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: delirium

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:16 AM

whats that?

#19 User is offline   žalost (old) Icon

• vivisectionist

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:21 AM

has to do with packet data i'm assuming. I really do not know what it does, but i had been setting it to 25000 ever since the q3 days. i forgot to put it up in urbanterror, and that kept happening until i changed it.

#20 User is offline   Loanna (old) Icon

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:22 AM

If there's a team shuffle on my server (with at least, say 20 clients) everybody got this. So we stopped using this command.

Though the server cpu, ram and bandwith usage with 32 clients is always far from 100%, so not sure it's due to a lossy connection.

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942