• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[4.2] Update 4.2.011 Rate Topic: -----

#111 User is offline   Txc Icon

• Account: txc
  • Main tag: [Sk&Bh]

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:59 PM

View Postwraith, on 14 April 2013 - 06:11 AM, said:

tell that to noob server admins, who will enable the settings for old maps, thinking they defeated a map when they really didn't.. and any new jumpers that think it is the norm for those maps when it isn't.. playing on maps in ways that the mapper did not intend.. unless you've been there as a mapper then you have no idea how frustrating it is.. these features used on those maps in this way officially breaks those maps! there may be only a small handful (if that) of mappers that will go through the trouble of completely reworking their old maps.. people that have no problem of being forced to adapt..

i was in the process of creating another jump map with a particular vision in mind.. these new "unlimited" features have destroyed that vision; and not just my vision of my own map, but other mappers i've spoken with as well (maps you will never see now)..

my point is, the jumping part of this game is becoming less and less unique, and more like an already existing product (minus the walljumps).. there is nothing wrong with a feature such as /regainstamina.. we've been wanting something like that for years and appreciate it now that it is there..

i understand that the younger crowd will embrace these "unlimited" features, as to be expected.. my new map will most likely never see the light of day now, and it was nearly complete, that's all i can say about that.. not sure how i overlooked these features before in the OP..

i do sincerely wish all the mappers/jumpers for the future all the best and hope you really have a lot of fun with these new features, as i'm sure you will; just not the true old schoolers that loved the jumping part of this game for what it was...

as i stated, there's always defrag lol if you really want a challenge.. :p

peace out!

You have a point .
But it is not the only one here .
Newbies needs attention , too .

For me too some administrative decisions are beyond ridiculous . Good that admins/referees are not always online :D .

There still can be some jumper competitions dedicated to some rules ...

BTW I have always thought for the 3 walljumps limit as stupid & artificial , just as the ability mapcreators to be able to make some walls ''unwalljumpable'' & it is to me evidence of the inability to take a really good and elegant decision for how shall the map (terrain-wise) or just some part of the map look .

View PostFrankie V, on 14 April 2013 - 04:58 PM, said:

In the short time that I've been here the one thing I've learned is you really can't apply a vision to your work expecting that those who play the game will abide by the rules of design and all you can really hope for is popularity in ways your toys are used that goes beyond what you envisioned in the first place.

It is not impossible to predict with good enough precision players' behaviour in some situations ...
Not be confused player behaviour with code behaviour .

Some exploits can sometimes be neutralised by the design , depends ...

It is possible to be made in a such way to minimize the malicious effect of exploits ...

HOw easy to do it in such a way is but an another story :D ...

#112 User is offline   YAY5637 Icon

• Account: yay5637
  • Main tag: <PWC>

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:27 PM

tell that to noob server admins, who will enable the settings for old maps, thinking they defeated a map when they really didn't.. and any new jumpers that think it is the norm for those maps when it isn't.. playing on maps in ways that the mapper did not intend.. unless you've been there as a mapper then you have no idea how frustrating it is.. these features used on those maps in this way officially breaks those maps! there may be only a small handful (if that) of mappers that will go through the trouble of completely reworking their old maps.. people that have no problem of being forced to adapt..

i was in the process of creating another jump map with a particular vision in mind.. these new "unlimited" features have destroyed that vision; and not just my vision of my own map, but other mappers i've spoken with as well (maps you will never see now)..

Thats like quitting mapping because someone will be cheating on your map.
what about all the people who dont?

#113 User is offline   p5yc0runn3r Icon

•   former FS member   
    Engine Developer
  • Account: p5yc0runn3r

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:35 PM

I need to complain a bit more :biggrin: After playing 4.2.011 for some time now, I see that the hits are very random. It is not just aiming and hitting it seems also that the bullet goes randomly wrong. Also SR8 is useless even if you just move your aim, it hits so randomly. Is it only my impression or is it true? Comments, anyone? :unsure:
dmaHD developer | engine developer | crazy person

#115 User is offline   Pez Icon

• Account: pez
  • Main tag: strayA#

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:53 PM

I find the hits excellent on 4.2.011, even on servers with 250 ping; They are far more crisp than 4.1. Although aiming is a little different, particularly when using the sr8. I think this is mostly because i'm used to how players move in 4.1 and with the sr8 usually predict where they will move and how they will do it.

I the main thing i feel is out of place is the jumping animation when a player is jumping towards me, Something looks out of place. I'm thinking it's the movement of the legs and upright torso. Anyone else been thinking the same?

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#118 User is offline   beautifulNihilist Icon

•   verified user   

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:06 AM

View Postp5yc0runn3r, on 14 April 2013 - 09:35 PM, said:

I need to complain a bit more :biggrin: After playing 4.2.011 for some time now, I see that the hits are very random. It is not just aiming and hitting it seems also that the bullet goes randomly wrong. Also SR8 is useless even if you just move your aim, it hits so randomly. Is it only my impression or is it true? Comments, anyone? :unsure:

I've noticed the timing to score hits is significantly different between when you click and when the bullets are fired from 4.1 to 4.2.
in 4.1 it seems there is some variation in firing for all weapons except the SR8.
In 4.2, the timing is consistent [almost] every time, however the animations are much more difficult to predict.

If you want to see the difference in hits, load up a skeetshoot server in 4.1, then try again in 4.2
for the skeetshoot2012 map in 4.1, I am able to score between 40-80 PSG headshots in 10 minutes with a "par" of 65ish and if I push as hard as I can, I can get close to 100.
My first 2012 run in 4.2 I scored 120, and was able to hit 140s with a "par" of 110. The improvement is MAJOR.

The SR8 it seems behaves very slightly different than it used to.
In 4.1, there was a few different timings between click-to-fire; the SR8 fired the fastest, the automatics were just slightly slower, and the PSG was for sure the slowest and needed to lead it's targets more. In 4.2, as far as I can tell, the firing timing is the same for all weapons. I have no trouble scoring 4.2 SR8 hits, but I'm used to playing with a 4.1 PSG.
The difficulty I have is trying to track the enemies who move quite a bit differently than I'm used to, and their heads are straight up and down rather than leaning. After I get used to this with a few minutes of practice, I can see every single miss I make and in turn score far more hits.

ALSO in 4.1, you had to adjust your shots to enemy ping (except with the SR8) far more than you have to in 4.2.
The skeet all have 0 ping, and scoring hits on them is the same timing every shot. If someone with 300 ping joined the skeet team, you had to figure out where in their wiggly-pingy movements you needed to shoot.
The SR8 used to be the ignore-ping weapon. In 4.2, they all seem to work much better this way.

More than anything, I've noticed 'the average first time n00b's have a much easier time hitting me when I'm moving than they could in 4.1. No more running circles around people shooting straight at me unscathed. Everyone seems to have a much higher base-skill level, while the 4.1 veterans are struggling to relearn how to swim.

#119 User is offline   Shans Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: shans

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:07 AM

View PostPez, on 14 April 2013 - 10:53 PM, said:

I find the hits excellent on 4.2.011, even on servers with 250 ping; They are far more crisp than 4.1. Although aiming is a little different, particularly when using the sr8. I think this is mostly because i'm used to how players move in 4.1 and with the sr8 usually predict where they will move and how they will do it.

I the main thing i feel is out of place is the jumping animation when a player is jumping towards me, Something looks out of place. I'm thinking it's the movement of the legs and upright torso. Anyone else been thinking the same?

This pretty much sums it up for me. This version of 4.2 feels much smoother than 4.1, hits included. I played on a ctf server for 10-15 mins and ended up with 43.6% accuracy, something I've never been able to achieve on 4.1 before (usually get around 30%).

This is definitely the point where we can move across from 4.1. If I could nitpick on something though, as Pez already mentioned, the jumping animation doesn't look quite right. That said, they have come a long way and they are certainly ready for public and competitive play.

Can't wait for UZ & OpenCup on 4.2, should be sick. Nice job FS.

• (16 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942