Urban Terror Forums: To the more antisocial portion of these forums a question: - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

To the more antisocial portion of these forums a question: Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: nexu
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:07 PM

Chances are that you might interpretate someone else comment in the wrong way. Due to the difference in (sub)culture, use of language, in how people address to each other, in what is considered insulting, or common behavior.

I too sometimes misread when someone comments on me and i read it with different eyes as they sees it.

I have thick skin but I also am quick to anger, plus have alot of RL issues to deal with over the last year which have made me significantly more angry and a shorter fuse. Im also awful at ignoring people, I just cant help but reply, its a character flaw that believe me I wish I didnt possess.

What you said is contradicting, having a thick skin but yet quick become angered and not good at ignoring other people's comment that might thick you off.
Having a thick skin implies you are very capable at ignoring insulting comments and not quickly angered over it.

But if you're truly bothered with those posts. The better thing is to cut down your visits on this or any public internet forums.

It wouldn't limit your ability to play and enjoy this game in anyway.

But if you're really interested in becoming part of this or any community. One should learn to accept the bad traits part of it as well. Al tho some communities are better at hiding their bad traits with strict rules of conduct and policing of it.

#22 User is offline   slackin Icon

• Account: slackin
  • Main tag: GlaD-

Posted 19 May 2009 - 01:37 AM

Well put nexu!

#23 User is offline   Mrnoluck (old) Icon

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:36 AM

everyone was 18+??? really? i was only 6(no im not exaggerating) when i first logged on to a bbs. but yes everyone acted more mature then than now.

well the majority of people I knew at the time was 18+ mostly were university guys, and the few younger ones who came on were far more mature mainly because they were adapting to an already more mature environment. I never came across any 6 year olds online :P

#24 User is offline   {C9}Wolverine (old) Icon

• LocationWashington State, USA

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:43 AM

I tell you this though. The flame wars now don't hold a candle to old school flame wars.

RIME (RelayNet International Message Exchange) bbs, 300 baud modem where you had to put your telephone handset on the modem. Those were the days.

#25 User is offline   Mrnoluck (old) Icon

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:46 AM

Chances are that you might interpretate someone else comment in the wrong way. Due to the difference in (sub)culture, use of language, in how people address to each other, in what is considered insulting, or common behavior.

I too sometimes misread when someone comments on me and i read it with different eyes as they sees it.
What you said is contradicting, having a thick skin but yet quick become angered and not good at ignoring other people's comment that might thick you off.
Having a thick skin implies you are very capable at ignoring insulting comments and not quickly angered over it.

But if you're truly bothered with those posts. The better thing is to cut down your visits on this or any public internet forums.

It wouldn't limit your ability to play and enjoy this game in anyway.

But if you're really interested in becoming part of this or any community. One should learn to accept the bad traits part of it as well. Al tho some communities are better at hiding their bad traits with strict rules of conduct and policing of it.

I dont believe it contradicts because of how im meaning it, in reallife I am very thick skinned, I have had to be this way a number of jobs but if a complete stranger starts having a go at me online yeah I get annoyed because of the lack of accountability thats what bugs me more than anything, I'd prefer people to do it to my face which of course isnt going to happen hence the frustration and then me getting pissy. If a complete stranger insulted me to my face in reallife I'd laugh at them so thats why I do consider myself thick skinned, online its the frustration of a) accountability and b) not being able to smack someone upside the head like I can in RL that gets me annoyed more so than the comments themselves.

I accept the reality of the bad parts I just dont like them and Im trying to get people to realise its so much easier to be positive and help others than it is to hinder, but as usual people turn it into "whats wrong with the OP" rather than in trying to help out the larger issue.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#26 User is offline   Mrnoluck (old) Icon

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:51 AM

I tell you this though. The flame wars now don't hold a candle to old school flame wars.

RIME (RelayNet International Message Exchange) bbs, 300 baud modem where you had to put your telephone handset on the modem. Those were the days.

I must admit I never went near the BBS side, used to play MuDs (forerunners of the mmorpgs) on the old unix terminals (black box sitting on the desk, no GUI, command line only :P) oh and some PbM stuff back on the amstrad cpc 6128 dont even remember what modem was with that. 10 minute lag spikes when you were in the middle of PvP combat and when it finally kicked back in you got 10 minutes worth of text scroll, fun times.

#27 User is offline   {C9}Wolverine (old) Icon

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:56 AM

MUDs, you're talking to a former MUD coder here who started his career as a player on the original Dikus and eventually moved on to Circles and SMAUGS.

#28 User is offline   Mrnoluck (old) Icon

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:12 AM

MUDs, you're talking to a former MUD coder here who started his career as a player on the original Dikus and eventually moved on to Circles and SMAUGS.

nice :) , I used to design (Beyond Insanity MuD was one of mine) some but was never much of a coder more an ideas man and zone designer, do you know Kavir at all?, probably heard of him if you coded there (all the GW muds)

#29 User is offline   {C9}Wolverine (old) Icon

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:13 AM

nice :) , I used to design (Beyond Insanity MuD was one of mine) some but was never much of a coder more an ideas man and zone designer, do you know Kavir at all?, probably heard of him if you coded there (all the GW muds)

Never met KaVir but I knew of him.

#30 User is offline   Mrnoluck (old) Icon

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:29 PM

was at his wedding last year :) hes actually still coding them GW 2 I think is out but I havent gone near it, though I do miss playing and designing Muds I must admit, met alot of good guys there that Im still friends with in RL (and a nuimber of v.nice women too, was surprised at the amount of attractive ladies who played something as nerdy as that back then :P)

Im tempted to boot up telnet and see if theres any active muds still running :)

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.frozensand.com/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942