Urban Terror Forums: Some things to say.....about SID, UrT etc. - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (12 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Some things to say.....about SID, UrT etc.

#32 User is offline   Hybridesque (old) Icon

• LocationBradford, UK

Posted 27 September 2004 - 03:42 PM

[quote name='"BladeKiller"]All of what is posted is why it's addictive to work on' date=' too. I've worked on it for over 4 years and Oz and a few others have been around for over 5 years from the alpha days. After such a long time and so much pressure from the community we really needed to take a break from it all. Most of the time we end up feeling as though the community hates the game and us which doesn't give us much incentive to work on it. The only way to overcome that was to take some time away and refresh. Also, we are stuck. We are waiting for the models to be finished so we can finish the hit detection system which has to be re-written because the source for ARIES was lost. New ARIES will be worth waiting for though. In the mean time grab the maps from the UT-Map Depot contest. There are some other new 3rd party maps worth trying like Contrada, too. Let the server and league admins know you want to play some of them.[/quote']

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

#33 User is offline   Oswald (old) Icon

• LocationWishin' I was in SoCal

Posted 28 September 2004 - 01:46 AM

Anyway os, you can show to us some news about UT ET, its time dont you think...???? :wink: :lol:

hugs from behind to you. :lol:

There is nothing to tell or show at this time. if there were, we would have posted it on the website or the forums. we are not working on it at this time, that has been said for the last few months. when we have an update the community will be the first to know. until then, follow blades directions.

#34 User is offline   D-Trix (old) Icon

• LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 28 September 2004 - 02:02 AM

BladeKiller
Site Admin

*GASP* A Canadian on the SID team!!! :shock:

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#36 User is offline   Bar-B-Q (old) Icon

Posted 30 September 2004 - 10:00 PM

Yeah, I'm from Canadia, too. I think. I must get my map. BBL.

#37 User is offline   D-Trix (old) Icon

• LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 02 October 2004 - 10:04 PM

[quote name='"Bar-B-Q"]Yeah' date=' I'm from Canadia, too. I think. I must get my map. BBL.[/quote']

If your too dumb to know then you must not be from Canada. :twisted:

#38 Guest_lordsutch

Posted 04 October 2004 - 01:57 PM

UrT Rawks!
I even got my brother, sister AND father to play the game and they all loved it! :D
Since they dont have the time to sit infront of a computer all day long they pretty quick gave up.
But every now and then i can find them in the middle of a game, screaming and swearing like myself. :P

It's fast action for the whole family! ;)

#39 User is offline   SiR (old) Icon

• LocationManchester UK

Posted 05 October 2004 - 07:50 PM

Totally agree with first post 8)

The only game that distracted me for a few weeks, well that i played as well as UrT, was DC, but that's only cos mastering the apache was tough and once mastered it was damn good fun.... but then players complained that it's not fair that the apache is so uber powerfull and that it's not fair that it takes 4 weeks to learn to fly it!!!!..... so the dev team replaced it in most maps and took away the fun :(

The main things that keep me playing UrT are:-

The shear complexity and diversity of play that is involved, in what at first seems to be just a simple game of point and shoot.

The matrix feel
The fast, almost super human pace (no vest for me :D)

The jump and climb ability... the number of places i wanted to walljump or just climb over in other games..... its so annoying in a game when you can't even do stuff that a 50 stone heffer could do in real life!!

I don't want simulation in a game, yes i want realistic graphics, UrT has that, but i wanna be able to do more than i can in real life, that's the whole point of games aint it? If i wanted total physical and biological realism, i'd be in the feckin SAS :P UrT gives us extra abilities, but we dont get em for free, we have to work damn hard for them... anyone who can jump knows what i mean....

Most of the maps are just the right size, not too big, not too small. Every sound on every surface is spot on, so you can pinpoint the enemy if they make a sound.

The sense of fun and respect for other players and the sense of teamplay that most people develop is unlike i've seen in any other game and which i think comes from the chat messages being so in ya face, that you can't miss the banter, the radio working so well and actually being usefull and the bandaging system, which forces teamplay and is also hard to fault.

The quick thinking that you have to do, 'do i risk bleeding to death and take some with me or do i bandage and probably die anyway??'

It's great fun joining a server full of names that you recognise or know and some of the banter and crazy antics that some players try to perform, make it more entertaining than a new action film, that's full of special effects.

The theme from Cheers springs to mind :)

Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got.
Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot.

Wouldn't you like to get away?

Sometimes you want to go

Where everybody knows your name,
and they're always glad you came.
You wanna be where you can see,
our troubles are all the same
You wanna be where everybody knows
Your name.

The only thing that i don't like, which i'm sure i'm not alone in, is the players who don't show that sense of respect for other players. The players who can't bear to loose, the same players who think they are somehow proving a point, but when they die, they whine about it and blame everything and everyone but themselves. These are the people who usually spoil the fun on servers and start callin votes or Teamkilling, when they don't get their own way.

I would say that the only thing SID have possibly done wrong, but nobody can really blame them for, is to be maybe a little too open to ideas in trying to please everyone, because the type of people i described above, who do nothing but whine during games and ruin it for others, are exactly the type who come on here and kiss ass to try to make the game fit better with their lack of playing style...

The good thing is tho, that most servers now have admins on them, who won't tolerate these players :wink: .

#40 User is offline   Oswald (old) Icon

• LocationWishin' I was in SoCal

Posted 06 October 2004 - 02:38 AM

Yup, when we do a post mortem on the mod, getting "too close" with the community will be included. It's a grey area, because you wanna hang with the community and get them to feel they are more than "just a number." On that front I think we succeeded greatly. But we also failed miserably, because we did try to please everyone and did nothing but frustrating ourselves.

• (12 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942