• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ut4_coldwar [FINAL] Rate Topic: -----

hmmm

#21 User is offline   Dawai Icon

• Account: dawai

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:37 AM

Same shader conflict with blizzard as on winterassault for the plants.

This post has been edited by Dawai: 21 June 2010 - 01:37 AM

#22 User is offline   NulL Icon

•   former FS member   
    Level Designer
  • Account: null

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:45 PM

Do yourself a favor and turn the lightmap scaling off, then watch your fps shoot back up.

The smoke shader needs a lot of work; the general rule for particle systems is that you should almost never be able to see individual particles, they should blend into each other. Make use of alpha blending (gl_src_alpha gl_one_minus_src_alpha) and tcmod scale. Get the smoke to fade out as it rises, smoke doesn't just pop out of existence.

The map smacks of ambient lighting, its pretty invariant; the insides more so than the outside. Also look at the directions of the shadows compared to the skybox.

I don't really like your spawns, each one has only a single exit that can be sniped from many safe and covered locations. Honestly I think they need to be completely changed, give them multiple exits and make them much safer from snipers. You may wish to give each spawn a different look so people can know instantly whether they are in the left or right spawn.

#23 User is offline   nemesis Icon

•   former FS member   
    Lead Tester
  • Account: nemesis

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:22 PM

Nice job! This map has a lot of potential and it's nice to see a winter themed map once more. Anyways, I completely agree with Null and did have some thoughts/suggestions on the layout/spawns.

http://i48.tinypic.com/fy37v9.jpg

Red: Have you considered adding a few more bombed out buildings? In my opinion, the area marked off in red would be an ideal location for such a construction. Think of a building reduced to rubble with multiple small openings so that players can escape. You've made your current spawns really easy to camp due to the 1 opening per spawn and adding such a building would allow for players to filter out across the map without major revisions.

Blue: A trench with dirt piles would also reduce the 'campability' of your spawns. Think of trench high enough that the player is invisible and able to walk/shoot out at multiple points.

Pink: I don't see this as being a big issue due to the map size, but you may wish to remove the accessibility here (spawn camping again). Have you considered making some parts of your map slippery?

Yellow: I would really encourage you to move the flag to a more ideal location. While a challenge is good, I envision a very low scoring drawn out match on a map such as this. ut_sands got away with having the flag so close to the spawns, but then again the flag rooms were really complex with lots of cover and routes to escape.

Green: This suggestion is iffy, but I would think some more variability on the hills would be nice. Think tunnels, small arroyos, or a mini rock labyrinth/ set of rock outcrops.

nem`

#24 User is offline   ValkoVer Icon

•   mapper   
  • Account: valkover

Posted 06 August 2010 - 01:19 PM

Beta 2 released

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#26 User is offline   Seven of Nine Icon

•   former FS member   
  • Account: sevenofnine
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:40 PM

mirrored the map for you : ut4_coldwar_b2

#28 User is offline   ValkoVer Icon

•   mapper   
  • Account: valkover

Posted 08 August 2010 - 12:25 PM

Thx :P

I connected to Your server yesterday, but it was empty, people play there only in specific time or what? :wink:

#30 User is offline   NulL Icon

•   former FS member   
    Level Designer
  • Account: null

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:11 PM

Try this particle system: http://homepages.man...war_smoke_2.zip
It alpha-blends out correctly instead of just popping out of existence.

The smoke particle texture has non-black pixels at the edge of the alpha channel - hence the weirdness at the bottom of the smoke. Make sure there is a reasonably think black border around the alpha channel.

Most of the objects (vehicles, sandbags, fences etc) in the map are very dark or completely black compared to the terrain.

The surface counts are still too high because your light map resolution is still to high - see my comments in the model/vertex/lightmap thread.

Theres a big black lightmap seam down the whole west side of the map.

Did you lightmap the tank? - If yes, you really shouldn't have. For two reasons: 1, the vertex density is mostly larger than the default luxel density, so you will actually pack more lighting data into the vertexes; 2, lightmapping it has cut it up into nearly 500 surfaces.

My comments about redesigning the spawns still remain.

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942