• You cannot reply to this topic

ut4_coldwar [FINAL] Rate Topic: -----

hmmm

#31 User is offline   ValkoVer Icon

•   mapper   
  • Account: valkover

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:44 PM

Try this particle system: http://homepages.man...war_smoke_2.zip
It alpha-blends out correctly instead of just popping out of existence.

Thanks i will check it.

Most of the objects (vehicles, sandbags, fences etc) in the map are very dark or completely black compared to the terrain.

Most of these objects are models (md3 or brushwork converted to .ase). So what i can do to make them brighter?Shader?

The surface counts are still too high because your light map resolution is still to high - see my comments in the model/vertex/lightmap thread.

Hmm i removed _lightmapscale 0.4 and now its default. I should use really low res (and ugly) shadows?

Theres a big black lightmap seam down the whole west side of the map.

I don't know how to fix it :F Maybe i should add something to terrain shader? Or func_group key, compile switch, sky shader, an dirty trick?

Did you lightmap the tank? - If yes, you really shouldn't have. For two reasons: 1, the vertex density is mostly larger than the default luxel density, so you will actually pack more lighting data into the vertexes; 2, lightmapping it has cut it up into nearly 500 surfaces.

It was lightmapped in 1st beta (now
i know i shouldn't), but now it isn't.

My comments about redesigning the spawns still remain.

I don't know where i can make another door (without making map 2x bigger) :P

#32 User is offline   mindriot Icon

Posted 08 August 2010 - 05:19 PM

View PostNulL, on 21 June 2010 - 08:45 PM, said:

Do yourself a favor and turn the lightmap scaling off, then watch your fps shoot back up.

What controls lightmap scaling? I searched the shader manual and couldn't find it. I'm starting to dig into understanding more about shaders and lighting.

This post has been edited by mindriot: 08 August 2010 - 05:24 PM

#33 User is offline   NulL Icon

•   former FS member   
    Level Designer
  • Account: null

Posted 08 August 2010 - 05:22 PM

View PostValkoVer, on 08 August 2010 - 04:44 PM, said:

Most of these objects are models (md3 or brushwork converted to .ase). So what i can do to make them brighter?Shader?

How are they lit/what compiler are you using? If they are vertex lit, adding q3map_vertexscale 2 to the shader will help.

Hmm i removed _lightmapscale 0.4 and now its default. I should use really low res (and ugly) shadows?

Is it only 0.4? Hrmm maybe theres another reason the terrain isn't batching..

I don't know how to fix it :F Maybe i should add something to terrain shader? Or func_group key, compile switch, sky shader, an dirty trick?

The only thing I don't like in your terrain shader is the shade angle of 179, try a lower value of 45 or 60 or 90, I don't think you need any larger than 90. The q3map_sunlight in the sky shader should be q3map_skylight, theres no q3map_sunlight.

It was lightmapped in 1st beta (now i know i shouldn't), but now it isn't.

Its vertex lit now? Its another thing that isn't batching almost at all; if it isn't lightmapped then something fishy really is going on with your compile.

I don't know where i can make another door (without making map 2x bigger) :P

You're not stupid, think of something! :biggrin:

#34 User is offline   ValkoVer Icon

•   mapper   

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:46 AM

How are they lit/what compiler are you using? If they are vertex lit, adding q3map_vertexscale 2 to the shader will help.

I've made this shader (i know, phong shading is not necessary):
models/mapobjects/br_machinenest/br_bag1
{
	qer_editorimage models/mapobjects/br_machinenest/br_bag1.jpg
	q3map_vertexcale 3
	q3map_forceMeta
	q3map_shadeAngle 90
	q3map_nonPlanar
	{
		map models/mapobjects/br_machinenest/br_bag1.jpg
		rgbGen vertex
	}
}

Models are still dark (without phong shading, and forcemeta too). Paths are correctly, i don't have any errors in console, im using FS_q3map_Radbump_2a compiler (newest cant't use flickering lights?)

The only thing I don't like in your terrain shader is the shade angle of 179, try a lower value of 45 or 60 or 90, I don't think you need any larger than 90. The q3map_sunlight in the sky shader should be q3map_skylight, theres no q3map_sunlight.

Ok changed to 90. In one of my previous map i used q3map_surfacelight and Delirium told me that i should use q3map_sunlight :unsure:. And when i changed it to q3map_skylight (10 3), i still had black seam.

What controls lightmap scaling? I searched the shader manual and couldn't find it. I'm starting to dig into understanding more about shaders and lighting.

http://www.gd-experi...n=2&category=17

This post has been edited by ValkoVer: 09 August 2010 - 06:49 AM

#35 User is offline   NulL Icon

•   former FS member   
    Level Designer

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:56 AM

models/mapobjects/br_machinenest/br_bag1

1. Make sure you never distribute shaders for textures you don't own, change the reference in the model to models/valkover/br_machinenest/br_bag1 or something. Or you can do it with _remap in radiant.

2. You don't need q3map_forcemeta, shadeangle or nonplanar for vertex lit models.

3. Try an older compiler, its not like your targeting the newer renderer. 2.5.16 should be enough for you, unless you explicitly need one of the newer features.

If you can't get the terrain to start batching pm me a copy of the .map, I'd like to know whats going on here.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#36 User is offline   NulL Icon

•   former FS member   
    Level Designer

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:47 PM

Thanks for the map, I've got it sussed; its a problem with the radbump compiler, its not batching your triangles into surfaces at all. Compare these two compiles of your map: The left I compiled with 2.5.16 and the right is your original Radbump_2 compile.

Each colour is a separate surface.
Posted Image

You may wish to compile the bsp and vis stages with 2.5.16 and the just light it with radbump.

#37 User is offline   ValkoVer Icon

•   mapper   

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:38 AM

Thanks, i would never think its compiler problem :rolleyes: Im only interested if its needed by some reasons for bumpmapping, or its just bug?

#39 User is offline   ValkoVer Icon

•   mapper   

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:37 AM

So mima and her spammy friends would like a re-compiled map plz Valkover :-)

Waaat?

Did the server crash or did anybody actually capture the flag?

After ~80 min i decided to join bot team and i captured flag in few min :rolleyes:

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942