• You cannot reply to this topic

Jump Mode Notice Rate Topic: -----

#51 User is offline   Driller Icon

•   community admin   
  • Account: driller
  • Main tag: uJ|

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:42 PM

@ Fredrik,
that quote is about making jumpmode for all ages: no blood, no gore, no warclothes, other radiobinds, and replacments for knife, replacement for weapon/bullets.
That, since some countries have all kind of laws about games and ages and so.
You can sell this shooter as a child friendly game, if you make a jumpmode without references to violence. And even better, a fragmode where all gore/war and so is replaced by something for all ages. If you kill someone, you dont kill but get a point. If you die, you dont die but you start over. Etcetra, you could make a fragmode which playes the same, but all visual/textual violence you can replace with friendly stuff.
Not to make this game for all ages..., but to bypass certain laws..
So far my knowledge about international laws and violent games.

@ Rayne
If you jump together with someone else, the goto_spec is the most usefull feature.
Its sad that most jumpers_on_the_forum, serverowners and patchmakers dont like it. I think they think they look pro if they say they always do all jumps of a map. Well, i say some jmups are just to annoy and irritate jumpers, and i know mappers who deliberately put shitjumps in a map, some sadictic element of them.
But not only ladders can drive you crazy (not me, i can climb, but i wont climb a tower_of_doom 3 times in a hour, while the map i like to do 3 times!), there are many crappy jumps made by crappy mappers who wanna make fun or impress with some ugly moving objects.
Funyjmups, speedjumps, dutcherjumps, ooo, undergroundjumps lololol, that has 1 easy and 1 bit maze completely fileld with fog haha. I was tester (well, player of testmaps) of the mapper, and i never never passed that jump. Devmap, or now i use goto_spec and i ask someone to spec and go to end of the fogmaze.
If i cant skip those type of jumps anymore, i wont play those maps anymore.
And also, i finished maps and i couldnt do a double grab somewhere in begin of it. I could passs the jump with some kind of a teamjump. But many jumpers have that problem, they are quite good, but they still cant do double-grab. They really can finish any medium map, except for that type of jump.
Give them goto_spec please.

Okay, one new suggestions i thought of.

19: Max Slots for jumpmode
I dont know what will be the max_slots for fragservers, in the end. I really love to play Algiers with 40 players. Max 64 is pretty much the max i can imagine (maybe boardwalk can have more, but i have only played it on max_32 server)
But for jumpmode i dont know a limit, to me, big icemaps can have easy 64 or maybe 128 players.
Any chance that jumpmode will have more slots for players than fragmodes?

#52 User is offline   azzs Icon

• Account: azzs

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:45 AM

For me that checkpoint idea sounds nice where you could gain x amount of stamina and maybe reset "WJ-counter" when u reach certain point, because I think that having option to increase amount of WallJumps and infinite stamina could cause some problems, when mapper wants to create a jump that requires more WJs/stamina and server owners wants to stick with default settings. Also, having different settings for every jumpmap sounds little confusing.

Personally, I'm not really keen about those spec_goto/save "exploits" and if anything I would consider possibility to let mapper disable /save at certain areas i.e. in the middle of the jump (not because of blocking :P).

#53 User is offline   wraith Icon

• Account: wraith

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:36 PM

i personally won't jump on servers that allow for more than 12 regular slots.. i have my reasons

but that's just me..

#54 User is offline   Driller Icon

•   community admin   

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:01 PM

@ Wraith, i jump most of the time also on server with not to many players, but now and then i really love to jump on, example, GORE Easy server, with max_45 players and cycle_voting. Its just so fun to jump there with a lot of guys, and being on a big icemap with 6 players is just to spooky for me
But i asked about the max_slots for jumpmode, because its likely that when urtHD is released the max slots for fragservers will be 24 players, initially. And by community testing they might raise it to 32, 45 and so.
But most problems (lag and so) for fragging are not that problematic for jumping, thats why i asked if jummode will have a higher max_slots then fragmodes.

#55 User is offline   wraith Icon

• Account: wraith

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:20 PM

^ hey Driller i totally get that how it could be fun.. if you could end up on a server where everyone on it was a decent person (who didn't block purposely or act like a dick).. it's the main reason years ago that i stopped jumping on public servers.. for me personally, when you reach the advanced stages of jumping, you tend to put up with less and less bs.. plus, finding a server like that is next to impossible..

also, i don't play icy maps.. too addicted to the feel of normal jumping.. some ice is fine in some places

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#56 User is offline   rabitoo Icon

• Account: rabitoo

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:20 PM

n1 :)

#57 User is offline   Rayne Icon

• Account: rayne

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:35 PM

Here's the problem with more slots for the jump mode.
IMO 24 players is more than enough.
So if the jump mode is an exception with 24+ slots, server admins with TDM/CTF servers will demand their maximum slot number is boosted too. And then we'll end up with ridiculous 32 slot servers all over again.

#58 User is offline   MajkiFajki Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper
  • Account: majkifajki

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:37 PM

What's the problem in running two UrT server processes on one machine?
18 + 18 without problems.

#59 User is offline   Driller Icon

•   community admin   

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:37 PM

Man, i cant believe fraggers start to demand for more slots because jumpmode which is quite a different game than the fragmodes has more slots?
And, iirc the FS team said (in some long discussion with Evo Divinity, i dont remember the topic) that they would likely start with 24 slots, and will test the higher slots too, as long as there wont be any quality loss for the game/connections/lag and so.
My guess is max slots will be just 45 or 64 slots. That is just for plain old TDM shooting, instant action (but ofcourse, there shouldnt be to many of them....)

This post has been edited by Driller: 24 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

#60 User is offline   SilverFoxZ Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: silverfoxz

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:46 PM

I am a fragger and i like low/mid player count :P
I raise komodo dragons in my spare time

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942