Urban Terror Forums: Level Designer MajkiFajki joins Frozen Sand - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Level Designer MajkiFajki joins Frozen Sand Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#31 User is offline   wraith Icon

• Account: wraith

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:28 AM

errr, whatever happened to Clatoo? a shame if that talent is wasted..

http://www.urbanterr...th-stood-still/

#32 User is offline   Pilou42 Icon

• Account: pilou42

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:20 AM

View PostNounou, on 20 August 2012 - 11:19 PM, said:

Personally, I've always been fine without the community, and still will be, since my first step in this game.

Waouh ! Not the kind of thing I like to read... :/

Personally, I prefer when there's a community to give point of views, advices, etc. For example: http://www.custommapmakers.org/

This post has been edited by Pilou42: 21 August 2012 - 09:20 AM

#33 User is offline   H0i Icon

•   former FS member   
    Modeler
  • Account: h0i

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:14 PM

Let's put it this way.

First of all time to get this talking about bugs out of the way. Yes, we have an internal bug tracker. We add many, many bugs to it. If it were open for the public, it would be spammed and would quickly turn into a huge mess.

Now on this topic of mapping. We don't invite people only because they make the best map in existence. We invite them because there is first some kind of interaction with FS and the person. Interaction which is very positive. This interaction can start by circumstances or by interest taken by FS or the aspiring member.

Now there are apparently a big amount of people, the community believe to be worthy of joining FS. Very well. Send us a message. Tell us that you're interested. Interact with the team, and there's a big chance you will be invited. We can't keep track of everything, so doing this will help us. It is also important not to trash talk us on other forums such as the various league forums. If we see this (and we do), and it's bad enough, we obviously have good reasons to not be interested in you because you don't work well in our team. We're not intentionally not inviting people for vague reasons... that's just in people's minds, because they want to see themselves or others join as well. People criticize Majki for not making the absolute best maps (yet), but forget that he works well with the team, improves and learn a lot, and is a very nice guy. Something some of the critics can learn from.

We do a lot of work behind the scenes which is not ready to show to everyone yet, because it's not polished. Many things are being done for urt, even if you don't see them right now. The HD project is enormous and takes a lot of time.

So, I really wonder. Why is it hard to say "this guy really deserves to be on the team as well" (and ask "this guy" to apply to the team), instead of saying "oh no this guy has made a lot more maps, it's such a shame to invite THAT guy first, fs is horrible bla bla bla". Why the attitude? What's it going to accomplish except for creating friction and putting yourself in a negative position? This attitude being visible a lot is the exact reason why some members of FS can be a bit passive towards the community.

And yes 4.2 has some bugs. But this was a very problematic release for various reasons. People had not worked on the codebase of 4.2 for some time, there were problems, etc. Sorry for that. Perhaps we need a bit more "release early, release often" to prevent these things. The updates will come, until it is stable. Just wait a little bit more.

Edit: If anyone posts lies, attacks, trolls, nonconstructive criticism, or if anyone fails to respond in context from now on, I will moderate your posts. Sadly it is needed. You can ask things, be reasonable and apply logic. You cannot create wild speculation on speculation. Instead of speculating, you could ask things and we might just give you the answer.

#34 User is offline   banksy Icon

• Account: banksy
  • Main tag: CMM|

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:21 PM

I don't believe it lays entirely on the fact that he hasn't made many maps, but rather the fact that has taken more credit for a map than he deserves. To the majority of the UrT community, being a member of the FS is a rather high achievement, and seeing someone who hasn't really worked to get there must annoy them. Yes it is good have a nice person who gets along with the community, but I always imagined that when hiring/inviting someone, it is usually due to them being better than the rest, and having a great portfolio. Now in my eyes, I personally believe he doesn't meet the criteria for his mapping capabilities and experience (I'm no professional myself), but I guess his contributions to the community are good, and that maybe he deserves to be an admin rather than an official level developer. When choosing an appropriate candidate for the spot of "Level Developer," Delirium comes to a lot of peoples minds, and so he should. His work has amazed me, the details and gameplay that come from his maps are better than some of the FS maps I have seen, and the support he gives to us new to mapping is great. I would also like to discuss the fact that if you are relying on someone to produce a piece of work, you would want to know and trust that they worked independently on the project such as you would at school or university, and in this case, Majki is not independent. The idea of the map obviously began with him, but it seems as if FS has put his name in front of the other developers, which is a slap in the face to those who put hours of time into it, to receive little or no credit. But I don't really want to rant on, but I know for a fact that I credit everyone who helped me make my maps evenly, because even the little things help produce what can be an amazing map. Yet I still congratulate Majki on wheezing his way in the FS team, though I just hope that he can produce another great map, without the help he received before.

Goodluck, and I look forward to seeing your first map Majki.

This post has been edited by banksy: 21 August 2012 - 01:24 PM

#35 User is offline   Garreth Icon

• Account: garreth
  • Main tag: -21-

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:52 PM

I mentioned bugs, because it was mostly the thing that you are being "thrashed" (as BK stated). Well, you are not the first, not the smallest and not the largests development team which have problems with negative opinions (look at Diablo 3 or CS:GO forums, because THIS you can call thrashing:) ). You prefer the (still quite messy) forum system - your call.
And no need to be sorry for problems with the release, everyone understands technical problems. People just don't like unfulfiled promises, so the point is, what are you going to do, so that it won't repeat in the future?:) I'm not getting impatient because of the delay of 4.2.0.0.0.2, just suggesting that more, but smaller updates is better, then one big. And you are still releasing 4.2 BETA, so if you call it BETA, then what is your threshold to call it stable beta? You don't really need to answer this, because it feels like offtopic for me, however it fitted the "raging" and "thrashing" issues.

I believe that in this topic, the problem was how you introduced Majki in the first post. Really, read it again. I know how he's involved in the game, these forums, Polish community, etc., and I know he will contribute to UrT further. But that news post really can hurt great mappers and modelers, whose maps are played both in leagues and public servers, and who have been in this community for years.

Hope this question won't be seen as an attack or trolling - will ut4_poland be official UrT map (after of course bug fixes)? I'm asking in the context of that news post.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#36 User is offline   H0i Icon

•   former FS member   
    Modeler
  • Account: h0i

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:10 PM

View PostGarreth, on 21 August 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

I mentioned bugs, because it was mostly the thing that you are being "thrashed" (as BK stated). Well, you are not the first, not the smallest and not the largests development team which have problems with negative opinions (look at Diablo 3 or CS:GO forums, because THIS you can call thrashing:) ). You prefer the (still quite messy) forum system - your call.
And no need to be sorry for problems with the release, everyone understands technical problems. People just don't like unfulfiled promises, so the point is, what are you going to do, so that it won't repeat in the future?:) I'm not getting impatient because of the delay of 4.2.0.0.0.2, just suggesting that more, but smaller updates is better, then one big. And you are still releasing 4.2 BETA, so if you call it BETA, then what is your threshold to call it stable beta? You don't really need to answer this, because it feels like offtopic for me, however it fitted the "raging" and "thrashing" issues.

Of course we will learn from this. I have brought up the idea of release early and often internally to prevent these problems in the future. But 4.2 was highly problematic because of all those years of work and non-work on it. We lost track of it. This won't happen again.

Hope this question won't be seen as an attack or trolling - will ut4_poland be official UrT map (after of course bug fixes)? I'm asking in the context of that news post.

It's the mappers decision. I don't see why not.

I believe that in this topic, the problem was how you introduced Majki in the first post. Really, read it again. I know how he's involved in the game, these forums, Polish community, etc., and I know he will contribute to UrT further. But that news post really can hurt great mappers and modelers, whose maps are played both in leagues and public servers, and who have been in this community for years.

This was the point of my previous post. Our point isn't to hurt others by not inviting them. We cannot possibly keep track of everyone. If someone wants to join FS, I really really recommend asking and showing your motivation. If you deserve it you will be accepted. However, people who are not team players (and have proven this by saying really nasty hostile things about us on this forum or other forums) will never be accepted. Sounds very fair to me. But perhaps we can be a bit more clear about how to get noticed by us from now on.

#37 User is offline   Garreth Icon

• Account: garreth
  • Main tag: -21-

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:29 PM

View PostH0i, on 21 August 2012 - 02:10 PM, said:

This won't happen again.

Hope so, I believe in you. Maybe at some point you will consider slightly more open access to pre-release versions for interested and worthy people.

#38 User is offline   Kr0m Icon

•   former FS member   
    Lead Forums Administrator
  • Account: kr0m

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

Thread 'sanitized'.

#39 User is offline   zenel Icon

• Account: zenel

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

Congrats ! :)
Good to see new faces in FS.

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942