• +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Urban Terror HD Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#91 User is offline   rayne2 Icon

• Account: rayne2

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:37 PM

Ok, but how will we be adding lighting, entities, shaders, optimization and so on.

Every game has it's own set of tools used to develop the environment, so regardless of max/maya/blender capabilities we still need a world editor in which we'll turn the geometry into an actual map.

#93 User is offline   Txc Icon

• Account: txc
  • Main tag: [Sk&Bh]

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:29 PM

View PostFrankie V, on 18 March 2014 - 10:54 PM, said:

As mentioned more than once is the ideal would be to remove the old engine and replace it with something new. (just restating a fact ;) )

The need for an engine replacement, more than anything, at this point in time is to avoided obsolescence by design and if left as is 4.2 would be the last version and update to the game and interest would die over time as to secondary consideration.

Good example is a “simple” engine switch, even if our objective is to first establish a on-par replacement to 4.2, would put Steam on the table where it's not even something to consider under current conditions.

Other was meant , but you know unpleasant things are hard to be heard ;) .
No point of saying me anything about it now , you said it - HD will come soon .
Besides I don't believe , I suggest .

Is it 100 % sure that it will be on Steam ?
Before it was said that Steam limits the freedom of the developers .
Is it a desperate measure ?

What about the AC and passport ?
YOu haven't switched to Source engine for better compatibility with Steam , or have you ?

Speaking of that what happend with your own fstech1 entirely made from scratch engine
? You know that engine that you started creating after id disallowed you for unknown reason to use idtech4 for Urban Terror HD after they allowed you few months / years before . (Or at least your version of the story.)

#94 User is offline   rayne2 Icon

• Account: rayne2

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:30 PM

So the new world builder essentially will just be a simple tool to add entities such as spawns.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#96 User is offline   thelionroars Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: thelionroars

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:32 AM

View PostFrankie V, on 19 March 2014 - 10:03 PM, said:

Frozen Sand is just a bunch of guys

I hope you give him a nasty tongue lashing for this one Bladekiller :P

#97 User is offline   Ronaldlee Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: ronaldlee

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:12 AM

View PostFrankie V, on 19 March 2014 - 10:03 PM, said:

Well Steam for 4.2 is not an option due to rather strict GPL licensing and asset copyright issues as to fair use that came along way before Steam was even introduced as an option. If Urban Terror had come along “after” Steam then it would be a completely different situation where the main obstacle now is trying to read between the lines so to speak as to what would be lawful.

At the moment I can not say 100% for sure that Urban Terror HD will be on Steam but we have looked into it and Steam does “not” limit what the game developers can or can not do and some games even have their own game API that works in conjunction with steam so as far as player services goes as to the needs of our community it's a non-issue. As I mentioned above some place Steam is just a no brainier that we will consider when the time comes and is now an option.

The fstech1 engine design more or less crashed and burned when terms and conditions where changed at the last moment. In hindsight as to what we want to achieve it was just another dead end but where it helped a lot was to develop all of the necessary content that is now the “property” of Frozen Sand.

As for desperate measures that something that will not happen as we are not your typical AAA games development company where the value of the game is based on a ideals that best suits a commercial product. Frozen Sand is just a bunch of guys who love to work on this game and even if no one played it we would still be happy to continue to work on it just for the fun to be had.

Rayne2 things will be clear as a bell in short order as we are only in a restructuring phase at the moment but it will happen. It has to.

Steam is an option if you port Urt 4.2 to Source. That will be a lot of work, but it can be done.
Lots of options with Source, and the good thing is that SourceMod will come into play, which is really nice for the administration end of the game.
I would have liked to see the Unreal engine but then that would not be a free game, but with Source that game can remain free, much like the way that NMRiH is free.
You guys should put up a Kickstart page to get some infusion for time spent porting, and if you do I think that many of us will support it.

#99 User is offline   saint Icon

•   community admin   
    www.urban-terror.fr
  • Account: saint
  • Main tag: pwnie.

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:44 AM

Have you started to recontact each developer that left because of the previous engine ? We talked about one earlier on that thread.

Anyway, good to hear about Steam. Do you guys have any plans after doing the basics ? I mean, after importing physics, assets, models, gametypes, etc. Will you think about some matchmaking system or anything else ? As far as it seems to be a real great engine, I'm sure you guys are excited about doing something "new" for your game :)

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942