4.2 pub servers are almost empty despite the 4.2 beta being default dl

#41 User is offline   ItsMe Icon

• Account: itsme
  • Main tag: bc`

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:48 PM

View Postx3r, on 23 April 2013 - 10:29 AM, said:

I would recommend turning off mouse acceleration:
cl_mouseAccel "0"

thats the standard value - I use that for ages now, and with the release of 4.2011 the changed the calculation of the speed to the same crap like in QL. So the mouse is significant slower than in the releases before.

I think part of the reason people are not switching is because 4.1 has zombie mod and SR8 only mod etc

UrT itself is a mod to Q3A, and the modmakers do not like that their mod is modded :)

I have no idea why FS hasn't made it so you can have SR8 only servers just by changing some cvars.

For SR8 only you don't need a mod.

g_gear 61

should do the trick.
For disabling the PSG you can use the b3 then :)

@topic: just give the crowd some nice animations and they will switch asap...

@FS: don't waste your time for the useless AC it isn't necessary. Even the coders for some cheats do not waste time for producing new ones for UrT.

<someKidAskingForHax> Hi guuys!
I think this is the latest version for a lot of months. (4.2.011)
So i guess it's time to get something , or maybe it's already done?
If someone has something about cheating makes it benefits everyone: p!

cheers

<coder> game is dead.

And I think if you do so (I now you will), you'll fail with it like all others (id/ VALVE/ MS/ SONY...) that tried it. Don't *@!# with the internet...

<another coder> they put some xor shit enryption inside the qvm i'm working on it...

<coder> xor the ultimate anticheat
( sarcasm )

you can clean it by doing ent type et_player

PS.
@FS BTW, I've looked through the sources of the ioq engine on github you use and I miss some credits for e.g. |ALPHA|madprof (sv_tellprefix, sv_sayprefix, the serversided demos [and I bet that your famous passport system has some inspirations from the |ALPHA| hub...]).
When I'm not perfectly wrong is that a violation of the GPL - just a guess

PPS.
I have another Question: does a ban here in the forums affect the ingame auth? Means when I'm banned here am I banned for logging in into a server that requires auth?

--
ItsMe

This post has been edited by ItsMe: 24 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

#42 User is offline   Driller Icon

•   community admin   
  • Account: driller
  • Main tag: uJ|

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:19 PM

Question for me: Why are people sometimes still playing 4.1, or switching back?

1 Because i like to play on servers with 30 players, sometimes.
2 And i like to play some custom maps, and on 4.2 they run mostly first party and maps choise is a bit boring especially on servers with 10+ players theyre all the same maps...
3 4.1 has stil about 3/4 of players and i like to be in contact with them, a lot of players i know still only play 4.1.

Because of those 3 points i still frag in 4.1 so now and then, point3 is actually the most important to me, i miss some 4.1 players.

#43 User is offline   Solitary Icon

•   former FS member   
    Programmer
  • Account: solitary
  • Main tag: GlaD-

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:59 AM

I got a theory as to why 4.2 is not as popular as 4.1, it is actually a combination of things. Firstly the actual deployment of 4.2 was mismanaged. The auto downloader did not work well, people were not able to download it as quickly (due to resource constraints etc).

Second, the new animations were something that people were still strongly against. I know this played a big factor in certain leagues not wanting to migrate to the new version.

So on release day (4.2) you have a number of people who do not upgrade for a number of reasons, some due to technical difficulties partly due to the upgrader, and some based on gameplay changes (animations). This is the beginning of the fracture of the community.

Currently as I understand it there are more players playing 4.1, again for a number of different reasons.
- Updates to 4.2 have bugs warding off players from updating
- Animations are still something that brings up debate
- The North American leagues are now dead (that's another story)

The development team should have released the 4.2 update and get the community on board before they released the new animations. Get everyone dependant on the updater then gracefully move to the newer animations.

TLDR: The deployment of 4.2 was handled poorly.

#44 User is offline   Divinity Icon

• Account: divinity
  • Main tag: /eVo/

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:04 PM

Issues of deployment aside, I know that quite a few more veteran players checked it out and decided to wait for a while and check in every now and then to see the progress before investing too much time into it. Each version so far, while improving incrementally, still has very visible issues.

And that's really what it's about in my mind -- when the bugs being fixed in version to version are extremely minor and probably hard to replicate. Hint: the gaming experience isn't really affected by an update for the vast majority of players.

#45 User is offline   Solitary Icon

•   former FS member   
    Programmer
  • Account: solitary
  • Main tag: GlaD-

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:18 PM

View PostDivinity, on 25 April 2013 - 01:04 PM, said:

Issues of deployment aside, I know that quite a few more veteran players checked it out and decided to wait for a while and check in every now and then to see the progress before investing too much time into it. Each version so far, while improving incrementally, still has very visible issues.

And that's really what it's about in my mind -- when the bugs being fixed in version to version are extremely minor and probably hard to replicate. Hint: the gaming experience isn't really affected by an update for the vast majority of players.

Aye that is part of the issue. Also with every new version it seems new bugs are produced.

The issue now is that the community is fractured and there is no real solution to fixing the divide.

This post has been edited by Solitary: 25 April 2013 - 09:19 PM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#46 User is offline   Txc Icon

• Account: txc
  • Main tag: [Sk&Bh]

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:56 PM

View PostDivinity, on 23 April 2013 - 01:18 PM, said:

For me personally it's the "stutter" that's been reported in another thread. I'm skeptical a demo will show this. I suppose I could buy an HD camera and record my screen so you can see it.

Stutter = ?

View Postdon, on 24 April 2013 - 07:53 AM, said:

pez, who uses updater? cmon!

I do .

This post has been edited by Txc: 25 April 2013 - 11:00 PM

#47 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

View PostSolitary, on 25 April 2013 - 03:59 AM, said:

I got a theory as to why 4.2 is not as popular as 4.1, it is actually a combination of things. Firstly the actual deployment of 4.2 was mismanaged. The auto downloader did not work well, people were not able to download it as quickly (due to resource constraints etc).

Second, the new animations were something that people were still strongly against. I know this played a big factor in certain leagues not wanting to migrate to the new version.

So on release day (4.2) you have a number of people who do not upgrade for a number of reasons, some due to technical difficulties partly due to the upgrader, and some based on gameplay changes (animations). This is the beginning of the fracture of the community.

Currently as I understand it there are more players playing 4.1, again for a number of different reasons.
- Updates to 4.2 have bugs warding off players from updating
- Animations are still something that brings up debate
- The North American leagues are now dead (that's another story)

The development team should have released the 4.2 update and get the community on board before they released the new animations. Get everyone dependant on the updater then gracefully move to the newer animations.

TLDR: The deployment of 4.2 was handled poorly.

I had tried to download 4.2 many days after an initial launch and I was surprised of the restricted but also slow way of the updater. In fact, I just updated 4.2 and it was still not able to reach in speed my common 15Mbit connection.

This combination of slowness but also sense of not having another option (an easily available one at least) made it a real problem indeed.

By the way, this might not be great but here is an idea: I noticed the libtorrent library is very robust, on BSD licence (i.e. it can be closed) and it is peer reviewed and used by dozens of projects. Perhaps you could base it on common torrents (in the background, in a transparent way to the user). Sure it might start with 100KB/s but it might reach several MB/s if it's filled with capable servers (and big letters instructing "give it a few seconds" might help).

I haven't noticed anything else since I don't play the game at all (or other games) lately. The models don't look horrific but I guess people have their reasons.

PS. Since a few 4.1.x users might be wondering, I won't update the ioq3-urt client any time soon since I don't play the game at all and it makes sense to only support the latest version the devs support since that's what will eventually remain (if any will remain). I only stopped by to drop that libtorrent idea (it might not be great) and to agree the updater felt like a firewall to the experience, a bit, even when trying it on non-high demand days.

#48 User is offline   H0i Icon

•   former FS member   
    Modeler
  • Account: h0i

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:13 PM

You do know we also offer a normal full download of the game?

#49 User is offline   SamSpangle Icon

• Account: samspangle

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:38 PM

View PostH0i, on 26 April 2013 - 01:13 PM, said:

You do know we also offer a normal full download of the game?

I've had a few friends moan about the updater not always working as expected and I recommended they just get the full version. Job done!

By the way I've never had an issue with the updater, works perfectly well every time for me.
URT SpamRock [4.2] Public Server @94.126.42.74 - putting the fun back into Urban Terror!

#50 User is offline   Divinity Icon

• Account: divinity
  • Main tag: /eVo/

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:45 PM

View PostTxc, on 25 April 2013 - 10:56 PM, said:

Stutter = ?

It's documented in a couple of threads in the 4.2 support area. It's essentially brief pauses in the game (measured maybe in hundedths of a second) that some just make it "jerk" while others halt the entire game for a longer length of time (maybe a second, maybe a few tenths of a second) that make the game nearly unplayable. Certainly not for more than anything other than pubbing it.

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942