• +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mini freezes with official client Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Pilou42 Icon

• Account: pilou42

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:11 PM

I've decided to open a thread for this, maybe it could help some players who can't explain well the problem.

With official client, when playing, there are some freezes during 200ms I'd say. During these 200ms, screen freezes, you can't do anything, then it comes back.
Even if it's a bit random, it happens every 10 sec on average on a populated TDM public server (don't tell me it's the server, it's not, read the bottom).
I don't know if it's linked to the console, or when a player dies, but I think it's always when a player dies than there's a freeze (but not always), and console writes the "X kills Y with LR-300" line just after.

The thing is, I don't have these problems with an unofficial client, which is the same code except CPU optimizations are not included (thanks Clear for the test build).
My CPU is an i3 2100 (GPU: ATI 5770), and I don't think it is old.

I really think there's somewhere a bug in code where these optimizations pose a problem. I'm quite sure I'm not the only one, and you will heard about this bug in the future. I think until this bug is resolved, you should have a not CPU-Optimized exe for the next update. The other solution is to use r00t's build.

#2 User is offline   beautifulNihilist Icon

•   verified user   

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:34 PM

I don't seem to be having this issue as severely as this, but your talk of these micro freezes got me curious about my own situation.

In 4.2 with the official .exe I get black gaps in the GREEN on my netgraph, and this behaves more severely than regular yellow-spike lag.
No input, all action seems to freeze with the last sound playing repeatedly, then a teleport. If I had been firing an automatic, it's been firing the whole time; if I've been moving, I've been going in the same direction usually running into a wall the whole time.
In 4.1, I almost never get any holes in the green, with the official 4.2 build it's every server and always at a crucial time, usually when an enemy comes on screen. As frustrating as it is, I just got used to it. If it were more severe, I wouldn't have. com_processpriority 11 made the green gaps quite a bit smaller but just as often.
With r00t's build (and Clear's) this doesn't happen at all and is fixed.

My murder machine:

Xeon ES410 2.33x8 dual quad core
8Gigs DDR2
GeForce GTS250
Win 7

#3 User is offline   Wolfseye Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: wolfseye
  • Main tag: FCDE-

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:14 AM

I tried to re-create the situation you're describing, however I did not witness any black gaps from a few hours playing I had yesterday and today. Does that only happen under a certain situation that has to be happening at a time or does it happen always for you ?

Cheers

Wolfseye

#4 User is offline   Pilou42 Icon

• Account: pilou42

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:59 PM

In my case, it happens instantly. You can notice it in less than a minute (playing on a 16 public servers for example).

#5 User is offline   beautifulNihilist Icon

•   verified user   

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:30 AM

It seems to be processor dependent.
If you don't get it on your machine, you won't get it.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   ObScUrE Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: obscure

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:46 AM

I have the same problem -> i5 3570k

BenQ-XL2420T|Filco-Ninja-TKL-MXRed|Logitech-G403|AKG-K70201000010 01101100 01110101 01110100 01010010 01100001 01110101 00100100 01100011 01101000~The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.~

#7 User is offline   Clear Icon

•   former FS member   
    Programmer
  • Account: clear
  • Main tag: 6th|

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:14 AM

I had occasional black gaps as well (only on some servers), so I've been using trying my unoptimized build for the past few days. The situation is better, but I still get the gaps every now and again.

#8 User is offline   beautifulNihilist Icon

•   verified user   

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:43 AM

View PostClear, on 10 October 2013 - 08:14 AM, said:

I had occasional black gaps as well (only on some servers), so I've been using trying my unoptimized build for the past few days. The situation is better, but I still get the gaps every now and again.

Yeah,I'm getting some black gaps with that build too.
I seem to have even less with r00t's build.

#9 User is offline   Fenix Icon

•   former FS member   
  • Account: fenix

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:54 AM

View PostbeautifulNihilist, on 10 October 2013 - 09:43 AM, said:

Yeah,I'm getting some black gaps with that build too.
I seem to have even less with r00t's build.

That build has the same compile instructions as the official one so it can't solve the problem. My first guess is that some compile optimizations we adopted are not working perfectly on some systems. I thought it was specific to i3 and i5 processors but I got also reports from other people having no troubles using the official engine with such CPUs. So would be really helpful to write also system specs (CPU, GPU, OS) so we can better understand where the problem is (please write specs also if the problem is not affecting your UrT installation so we can better figure out where the problem is)

#10 User is offline   squirt Icon

• Account: squirt

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:07 AM

I am also getting these "mini freezes". It is very distracting, gets me killed all the time and makes me miss my target.

I have an older processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 2.67GHz. Never had this problem with 4.1.1.

I normally play the fallin-angels CTF server and I have heard others complaining there as well.

Edit: My Graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce GT 630, and I am running Windows XP.

This post has been edited by squirt: 10 October 2013 - 10:56 AM

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942