• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A few Screenshots Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   Hybridesque (old) Icon

• LocationBradford, UK

Posted 05 April 2005 - 11:03 AM

Yeah, I gave out that link to that texture pack.. yes I've noticed Max Payne Official Texture Pack 1 textures in it, yes I've noticed Golgotha textures in it. Sorry you didn't like that |NV|S.

#32 Guest_luniaq

Posted 05 April 2005 - 12:24 PM

geeee....you are scaring the shit outha me invis!!! I`m in the current map contest of AoW and I have used mainly textures the gtk gives me, aware of the fact that they are not mine, now I started my readme.file, trying to give everyone credit for it, but it is not possible to always define real ownership, besides it will take me hours to get in contact with em, which brings me to a thought; that when Im using them in a free mod, I get them through free maps...so why cant I just use them...? and if I use that photorealistic texture pack, which is freely distributed, would I get in troubles cause of legal rights??
greets

#33 Guest_Sage

Posted 06 April 2005 - 09:55 AM

[quote name='"|NV|S"]Nothing odd about it actually. And it wasn't even directed at you sport' date=' or you're little map. Neither of which I could give an airborne sh*t about.[/quote']

Sad attitude but I respect your sentiment and views on honoring other peoples copyrights, seems only right and fair to me. I wont be making any such restrictions on my textures as I dont mind others using my work for the beneifit of the gaming community and I can also provide the source photo's if required.

Now here are the screenshots I promised. Some of the textures still need a little tweaking (like the very dark curtains in some of the windows).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#34 User is offline   |NV|S (old) Icon

• LocationSanta Clarita, CA

Posted 06 April 2005 - 10:04 AM

geeee....you are scaring the sh*t outha me invis!!! I`m in the current map contest of AoW and I have used mainly textures the gtk gives me, aware of the fact that they are not mine, now I started my readme.file, trying to give everyone credit for it, but it is not possible to always define real ownership, besides it will take me hours to get in contact with em, which brings me to a thought; that when Im using them in a free mod, I get them through free maps...so why cant I just use them...? and if I use that photorealistic texture pack, which is freely distributed, would I get in troubles cause of legal rights??
greets

It depends on a lot of things, most of which are "can the author prove copywrite"?....and how far he wants to take it through the legal system of whatever country you or he lives in. And did you make a profit? I think those are the detirmining factors. Dont trust all these texture packs on the internet. I have ran into a lot of Asshats that are rehashing shit they didnt make against the wishes of the author in a lot of cases, or they get something from someone and they didnt know where it came from and redistrubute it anyway.

I highly suggest that if you use the work of others that you first obtain persmission from the author, dont trust redistro packs as they could be taking others work and calling it their own. Those are the most evil as they are hard to catch unless you have been around the industry and know a lot of other artists or designers work.

I play lots of games, and I know lots of artists in the industry as well. Sometimes we all know textures and where they come from, and sometimes we see stuff for the first time and think that its fresh from someone and come to find out later that it was actually ripped off from others.

My new rule with my Port levels for ETUT is "if I didnt make it myself, dont use it." I know for some of you that might be impossible as your photoshop and 3d skills are non-existant, and you have no desire to learn them. I think its awesome that people like LT1 are making all these drag n drop items for you guys, mostly because you know who made it, it was made from scratch, and you know where you stand with its fair use. As for textures, Thats a whole other ball of wax. I have spent the last 3 weeks ripping out textures from Baseq3 and textures that were not made by my own hand and removing them from Crenshaw just so that I know that everything in there was made by me and that I dont have to worry about someone coming back later asking why his textures are in a level in my game portfolio.

Of course, you are all free to do what you want.....as most of you will do anyway.

#35 User is offline   Shminkyboy Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper
  • Account: shminkyboy

Posted 06 April 2005 - 02:23 PM

MM, I'm going to have to agree with |nv|s on texture packs, the only way to be sure is to do it yourself, or get ones that DO have proper documenttation.

Otherwise, I think it's kinda funny that people are getting all riled about |nv|s's comments, he wasn't even talking about the brushwork, and I prolly would have gotten all sarcastic like he did for that reason..

|NV|S wrote:

And if you think I'm bad, wait until the real assholes come out and just give you the obligitory "you're map sucks" without any rhyme or reason. I'd get a thick skin there Skippy because I'm boyscout compared to a lot of the Social misfits in this community. If you came here for "Atta-boys"....you're in the wrong place

Which I have seen happen.

It's also kinda sad that people mistake |nv|s's "take it or leave it" attitude for arrogance... then get all pissed because he goes sarcatic when something he says hits a nerve, and isn't just taken for what it is, a forum post.

It's not like he can't back it up. Or is incorrect.

But whatever, he works at a game company, I don't need to defend him ;) Your best bet is to not take things people say too seriously, I'm sure he doesn't care whether you listen to him or not... But yeah, if you're going to pimp your maps you're going to need a little thicker skin than that.

Sucks when the shoe is on the other foot I guess.

Imo, on the map this thread is about, it looks like it could be nice, but... it's kinda boxy isnt it? You should put some variation in the landscape and layout, there's enough horizonal play box maps out there already.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#36 User is offline   |NV|S (old) Icon

• LocationSanta Clarita, CA

Posted 06 April 2005 - 05:34 PM

Shmink knows me, and I think all of us have seen the kiddies here on the forums that offer nothing more than just the passing "Your map, weapons, Mod sucks" without any reason at all.

When someone offers valid reasons for distaste for your work, and then offers up suggestions on improvement, thats a good thing. Unfortunately you wont be recieving much of that from any online community, and this one is no exception. There are some level headed and talented people in this community and they will be more than willing to offer up that much needed positive feedback. And there are those like me that will just bluntly give it out without the atta-boy chaser. Trust me when I say that Im harder on myself than anyone here could ever be on me, or me on them.

As for your level, all I can say is that:

A: you are relying on the textures too heavliy for windows, you need some kind of relief and depth of feel, a texture cant provide that unless you are going to use normal maps, and even those break down when you are right next to them.

B: No verticality, you need to get off the flat plane you are building on and add some type of elevation variations to hold the players interest.

C. Your texturing is too clean. The world is dirty, mess it up.

D. The dark lighting I actually like, but like someone mentioned earlier....dark maps never get popular or played. Im torn on this. For the q3 version I would agree, but when ETUT gets released, no one will be the wiser and Im sure the new community will be more willing to like the moody lighting.

#38 Guest_Sage

Posted 08 April 2005 - 11:58 PM

Thankyou for the constructive feedback, I am now working the dirt and remake a bunch of textures (some of which you can probably see in the following screenshots).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#39 User is offline   Donner (old) Icon

• LocationMelbourne - Australia

Posted 09 April 2005 - 02:09 AM

Any chance you can curve the corners of the roads? EG. the T intersection looks sharp, as does that right hand turn (on the 2nd latest screenshot post).

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942