• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Revert the SR8 Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   BludShoT Icon

• Account: bludshot
  • Main tag: [T]

Posted 28 December 2007 - 01:23 AM

Ok, first of all, anyone complaining that I must be some noob who can't use an auto... lol.. that's just plain funny. I've been playing this game longer than most of the people on this forum no doubt - and I mainly use autos. But sometimes its fun to use the SR8. I don't know what fantasy land some of you live in, but I have played in STA and other leagues and ladders over the years, and to make it out like the SR8 was some sort of uber gun better than all the autos is ridiculous. If that were true, then when playing some top clan who was dominating, they would all be loaded out with SR8's when in fact nearly the opposite is true. The top players mainly use autos in matches, because they know that they are better weapons than the SR8 more of the time.

In 4.1 you can still camp with an SR8, but camping with an SR8 always was and still is gay. One thing that makes UrT so cool is that you can rush around with an SR8. And saying it is some kind of supreme railgun is pretty silly. When you rush in with an SR8 you are taking a big chance in 4.0 against autos. You have ONE shot to kill the enemy, and if there are 2 enemies you are in trouble. If you get that shot, then you are the man, but if you miss, you are dead, because the enemy has autos. It made for a fun asynchronous battle where each weapon had its advantages and disadvantages.

I have never felt that the SR8 dominates completely, on the contrary, both the SR8 and the autos each had their niche. Each was better for a situation, depending on what that situation was, sort of like rock paper scissors. I've played in countless UrT matches over the years, and solidly for the last 2 STA seasons and the recent Conage Cup, and I can guarantee that no one was complaining about the SR8, including the at least 75% of the people who weren't using it. For me this recent change means I will no longer use the SR8 unless I am just messing around, and that's too bad because I thought it was really fun.  I'm glad the PSG and the UMP have been beefed up, but also feel the shotgun should have been left alone. It's like someone gasped when they realized the shotgun was actually useful for once and had to put that to a stop. It was still rarely used and only usefull in CQB anyhow, which it should be, it's a shotgun.

I understand that the SR8 may just remain the way it is right now, that's fine, whatever, I'm just expressing my opinion. But I'm too old school to listen to some kids who wants to dismiss what I'm saying - if you've played this game as long as I have, then I might pay you some regard.

#32 User is offline   slackin Icon

• Account: slackin
  • Main tag: GlaD-

Posted 28 December 2007 - 01:31 AM

man, relax, i am not attacking you
i never complained about sr8 BUT DAMN i am happy it changed
I SUCK, FIRST AND FOR MOST, i cant aim for CRAP
I did have fun running around rail gunning noobs and laughing it up
i do not use sr8 in 4.1 cause its harder
camping is gay, sniping != camping, unless your a noob
sr8 STILL a good weapon, STILL STRONG weapon, but now, its better to use ranged, like a sniper rifle should be

EDIT: btw, maybe i dont play in matches or compete cause i work to much to do that on the regular, BUT i have been playing since '01

#33 User is offline   Kabal Icon

• Account: kabal
  • Main tag: ]$[

Posted 28 December 2007 - 01:34 AM

no slacking i didn't take it personal :)

i agree that sr8 was overpowered but i disagree with unzoom as the best way to balance it,because is too much dependent on other random factors and absolutely not rewarding sprayers skill nor snipers skill imho.
beside my fist post,i'm trying to give some constructive feedback and to share ideas,even if what i write will prolly never considered.
basically a lot of the posts defending the unzoom can be summarized in "sr8 just sucked.now we'll have our revenge.learn to play with autos." and that's not helping.

and the rushing sniper yes,sounds stupid,but not in a very fast paced game like urt in which rushing means almost always win...or at least should mean it.

#34 User is offline   Slicey (old) Icon

Posted 28 December 2007 - 01:35 AM

Nicely put bludshot

#35 User is offline   slackin Icon

Posted 28 December 2007 - 01:37 AM

kabal, i agree about rushing, i ALWAYS rush except on tdm, but look at goddess he/she ownes up all the on noobs by camping it up, but not staying put

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#36 User is offline   HerrKaputt (old) Icon

Posted 28 December 2007 - 02:02 AM

I haven't played UrT much mainly due to lack of time, but I approve this nerf. Here's why. Imagine this situation, you're with the SR8 and not too far from you a guy pops from a corner with an auto (LR, M4, AK, whatever). Who should win? Of course, you might say that the most skilled should win, but in this situation I think that the player with the auto should have a serious advantage. I don't think that any real-life sniper can concentrate and aim right while under fire, let alone when he's hit. I mean, you're looking through the scope, you're shot in the leg and you STILL hit him in the head? That would be too unrealistic.

As for the example someone gave that he would own a sniper with a beretta: again, in real life a man with a pistol would win against one with a sniper rifle unless there was a lot of distance between then, such that the pistol would almost never hit.

I realize that UrT is NOT aiming to be real-life-realistic, but this nerf makes using SR8 in close battles a lot harder, which means that either you go close with autos or you keep your distance. OR you hit the very first shot, before the other guy starts spraying. I agree with this.

Finally, I disagree that this will scare noobs away from the game. They (or "we", because I'm also very noob, just an old noob) will just realize, like the rest, that they cannot charge the other team with a sniper rifle. If they're sniping, they should stay a little behind the chargers, who will wield autos.

#37 User is offline   don Icon

• Account: don

Posted 28 December 2007 - 06:19 AM

Bludshot speaks the truth, as always. :-P

I've played nearly as many matches as Bludshot, and I don't think I've ever seen anyone say "the SR8 is overpowered." Never. It's a fact of UrT that you can get sniped across the map or from a rusher, and you act accordingly. You don't walk into narrow without having your finger on the trigger, aimed at where you expect the sniper to be. Or maybe you do, and maybe you also complain about dying every time, without trying to find a way to counter it effectively. Flanking? Going somewhere else entirely? Letting a sniper go first? Picking up the *gasp* SR8 yourself? You'd find that even the best sniper can be taken down if you're trying something other than walking right into their scope. I personally haven't felt the SR8 to be overpowered ever, because I realize that it's always possible to counter a sniper.

Anyway, those who were good enough with SR8 to make you think it was overpowered are just as good with autos.

#38 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: nexu
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:58 AM

I think it would been better if FS made the SR8 only go unzoom when the player with SR8 is hit in their arms or head. To reduce the random spam factor a bit.

#39 User is offline   slackin Icon

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:31 AM

NOW THATS AN IDEA!!!

#40 User is offline   wastedscal (old) Icon

Posted 28 December 2007 - 11:37 AM

I don't think that any real-life sniper can concentrate and aim right while under fire, let alone when he's hit. I mean, you're looking through the scope, you're shot in the leg and you STILL hit him in the head? That would be too unrealistic.

.. again, in real life a man with a pistol would win against one with a sniper rifle ..

Stop comparing a game that is meant to be "fun over realism" with real life situation. Do you see guys jumping from walls to walls, power sliding etc in real life?
It's not about comparing what is or is not logic but rather express opinions based on what we, as gamers, experience with the game changes.

Some players use a high mouse sensitivity because they use(d) sr8, being able to move real fast even when being zoomed in but could have hard time with auto not being able to have a steady aim because of the sensitivity. A sniper then COULD have an advantage over an auto player in close combat as well (again, game talking not real life).

Back on the topic:
As a sr8 user myself, I'm really waiting for some more time to get used to the change and see how the community "evolves" with these changes but also see how official wars in leagues turns.
As for the noobs; more likely they will never use the sr8 for sure, which wasn't already that easy to handle in 4.0, when you see them not even knowing how to zoom/bandage/etc.
The gamers that finds out about UrT and will configure their game, have some experience in First Person Shooters will most likely try most if not all guns. If the guy/girl is a sniper into some other game, the unzoom thingie will probably not scare them that much to at least try it for a while.

I don't know how many of us are from the Quake3/QA2/Instagib/etc period; maybe we are hoping to not see such radical changes to not be pushed away from those games/mods feeling in a nostalgic.
The game as evolved over the years and if you're for long enough you'll recall a lot of such topics during the times; it always took some time to adapt and after all many actually did adapt.

I agree it's a radical change, like when the MP was introduced actually; does it have to change back? Personally I'm not sure, what I feel like tho is that other scoped weapon should have the same kind of penalty, maybe at different level just like each weapon as it's different damage/recoil/spread/etc level.

I still enjoy playing with sr8 so far for sure.

• (21 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942