• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Git Repository Hacked Rate Topic: -----

#61 User is offline   schnork Icon

• Account: schnork
  • Main tag: [exp]

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:32 PM

I'm sure you will get over this. Unlike this ignorant piece of sheeet that stole your work you were able to build up something amazing that impacted hundreds if not thousands of lives and still makes a small or a huge difference to the real community.
Thank you for all the time you freely dedicate for this game and all the effort you put into it and in keeping up with us as a community.
I wish you all the best to get past this gloomy episode. Every step makes us wiser… and shapes us. Have faith in your skills and move on.

#62 User is offline   Txc Icon

• Account: txc
  • Main tag: [Sk&Bh]

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:41 PM

Too naive to think that other devs would do UT better .
Sounds to me like some cheater (with some programming skills) getting mad for being banned most of all . So it looks like it is a representative of the UrbanTerror cheaters' community .

View Postrayne2, on 18 August 2013 - 11:46 AM, said:

I'm not talking about graphics, I'm talking about completely redesigning UrT, changing the dynamics of the game, introducing new moves and abilities, accepting some well known and desirable aspects of modern FPS games.

I guess you mean something like assisted aiming .
What an uglyful dream you have (giggles) .

BTW this about the modern FPS bullshit was a joke , wasn't it ?

Just suggestion to redesign it doesn't do anything .
What would be good to have Urban Terror .
& Why you think it shall be done .

#63 User is offline   n1n Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: n1n

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:45 PM

plot twist: FS actually made the hacker steal a crooked game code, one that is different and does only validate itself to the auth system as hacker and potential cheat. well played FS ;)

now seriously tho- just make the last game code useless in the upcoming update. 4-5 updates ahead, they will prolly loose track of what you really changed.

and my sincere regards for continuing the work. way to go!
<sXe>

#64 User is offline   Aelmiks Icon

• Account: aelmiks
  • Main tag: |TNG|

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:34 AM

Keep up the good work FS ! And don't abandon !

I think I know who the hacker is ...
It's a FS Member, because this FS Member is now banned ...

#65 User is offline   Jester Icon

• Account: jester
  • Main tag:

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:41 AM

When you reported the theft to the LEA, did you mention the part about FS breaking GPL or did you leave that out? I guess it would probably just confuse them anyway.

Edit: Decided I should actually add something useful here while I'm taking a stab at you.

Do yourselves a favor and don't put sensitive services on the wire. Use n2n and only allow access from the VPN. That way, script kiddies can't make you look like fools...again.

This post has been edited by Jester: 19 August 2013 - 12:54 AM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#67 User is offline   Jester Icon

• Account: jester
  • Main tag:

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:02 AM

View PostBladeKiller, on 19 August 2013 - 12:57 AM, said:

Jester, try reading the post above yours by Aelmiks to figure out what happened. Your suggestion wouldn't have helped in a case like this that was plotted for a few months ahead (we have the logs of the plotters).

So then the title of the OP is wrong and it wasn't hacked? Either someone exploited a service that could have been better secured, or a dev just took it. Perhaps YOU should make it clear what happened.

#69 User is offline   hasufell Icon

• Account: hasufell

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:46 AM

View PostBladeKiller, on 17 August 2013 - 11:11 PM, said:

The reason we kept it closed and compatible with Q3 was because many in this community asked us to, so UrT wouldn't end up like other open sourced games that are splintered into many smaller games making it hard to find a reasonable game to play.

That sounds totally non-sensical. I am monitoring games development in a lot of projects for years since I am working on a distribution for free and trying to make it a usable gaming platform. I don't know any example of what you fear.

View PostBladeKiller, on 18 August 2013 - 04:08 AM, said:

It's just weird that someone would want to steal a free game instead of just applying to work with the dev team on it or getting a group together and making his own mod on one of the new engines instead of an engine that's 14 years old.

first: "free" game does not apply. "gratis" and "partly free" does.
second: I don't think you would have chosen GPL-2 for the engine if it wasn't for the obvious copyleft.
and last: collaboration is easiest when a game is REALLY "free", as defined by the FSF.

There are popular examples with lots of community contributions such as OpenRA or OpenMW even. Your choice was wrong. You don't gain anything by closed source unless you have a business plan behind that choice.

I would be impressed if you take this weird situation as a reason to push it all opensource as well. I guess the attacker would be speechless.

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.urbanterror.info/members/donate/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942