Urban Terror Forums: Account profile (and other fun things to discover on urtinfo) - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Account profile (and other fun things to discover on urtinfo) Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is online   JRandomNoob Icon

Community Moderator

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:48 AM

I’m never going to figure out why passport was renamed, but the more important issue is that the naming of the game and forum accounts isn’t consistent.

On the website front page, you have “My profile” (linking to your passport) under heading “My account”, and no link to your forum account. On the forum pages, you have (under the misleading heading “Forum settings”) links “My account” (passport) and “My profile” (which now points to your forum account). To make things more fun, the path in the “My account” link is /members/profile/, and the page title says it’s your “Account profile”. (Plus of course there’s “Edit my profile:” in the right-hand menu under “Manage my account”.)

Basically, when you’re describing to someone where to find their auth key, you have to take into account (or perhaps into profile amirite) the likelihood of confusion (“I don’t have this link!”) and be ready to explain the differences between passport and forum account, which one is which, and how to find the right one, instead of just being able to tell them to check their passport page.

To make things even more fun, some of your information is shown in both passport and forum account pages, some of it defaulting to “trololo not gonna tell ya” for the latter (seemingly randomly, it depends on person), and some of these values can’t be changed anyway. Also, it took me a while to memorize that your signature has to be changed under the forum account, while your avatar and personal information are a passport thing, and so on and so forth.

Additionally:

The links at the bottom of the forum pages (About Urban Terror | Contact us | Terms of service | Privacy | Credits) point to fs3.urbanterror.info, and if you click on any of them you are redirected to urbanterror.info/home/. (These same links are correct there.)

The “Forums Search” heading in the left-hand menu is broken (checking the source you can see <h6">Forums Search there).

Similarly, there’s a chunk of the manual missing since forever (pointed out several times by several people) — there’s a [ in the middle of the User interface article (in “Both methods will show you a visual re”) that throws the parser for a loop.

A quite remarkable issue is that everything of importance on urtinfo seems to demand lowercase — admittedly, I’m not a coder, but forcing text to a particular case should be a tad bit easier than checking the case and then rejecting it. If you have no idea what I’m talking about, log out and try to log in again with your name containing an uppercase letter, like “JRandomNoob” instead of the required “jrandomnoob”. (Amazingly enough, when you’re presented with the error message, your name in the box has magically transformed into lowercase.) See also untertaker’s quest to register his group where he didn’t even get a proper error message.
dswp.de
Beginner’s Guide to Urban Terror (woefully out of date)
Daily Deadnade (Last updated September 9, 2016)

#2 User is offline   Nitro Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: nitro
  • Main tag: |P|

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:24 AM

thanks for this JRandomNoob,

I will discuss this with the team and we'll see how we from there to sorting these issues out.

some issues (like the <H6> tags) should be easily resolved, however others (like profile/account titles) may take longer to track down.

I will let you know how things progress later today hopefully.

~Nitro
Lian Li pc-o11dw Der 8auer Edition · Gigabyte x570 Aorus Xtreme · AMD Ryzen 9 5950x 16-Core
32GB DDR4 3800MHz CL16 · 2x 1TB Samsung NVMe RAID 0 · 16GB Radeon RX 6900XT Liquid Cooled

#3 User is online   JRandomNoob Icon

Community Moderator

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:12 PM

• The “Game Read Me” dates from 4.0

• Release Notes ends with 4.2.013

• Under Resources, only two of the banners are actually displayed

• On the front page the “last news” widget (right next to actual last news, mind) is displaying two semi-random items from 2010 and 2009 (with invalid links to boot, the “last/#last” part in the end is not needed). Also, for some reason missing the final slash of an URL wil give you an error message instead of simply trying to redirect you.

• The “Report member” button on forum profile pages (see mine) is useless:

An Error Occurred

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

! [#10136] You do not have permission to report the item you are attempting to report.

• Something that has been bugging me for years: whatever it is that you’re using to convert the avatars of peons to black and white (which is actually saved as RGB, huh) simply smashes the alpha channel, replacing transparency with black. Inventive people like me have used a background color that matches the most common environment (#202020 in the forum post sidebar), but this looks butt-ugly if you’re using a light custom theme for the site. Yes, a minor issue, but why oh why is this piece of software doing it in the first place?

This post has been edited by JRandomNoob: 01 October 2013 - 04:13 PM

dswp.de

#4 User is online   JRandomNoob Icon

Community Moderator

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:57 PM

Now that someone has actually demonstrated that the manual can be updated I went through all pages to gather the more glaring issues in a single place (I had run into some of them in the past but hadn’t written anything down). Note that this is just a quick run-through, the obviously wrong things that I spotted on a glance — otherwise this post would span pages upon pages, the amount of lolcat grammar and spelling alone is amazing.

• F.A.Q. : Troubleshooting
    • First check if you are on 4.1. In the right bottom on the main menu you can see if it says 4.0 or 4.1. If you are indeed running 4.1 and still get this message, the server you are trying to connect to is running 4.0. Just try other servers until you find one that is 4.1. — Slightly outdated

• F.A.Q. : Misc.
    • This means the game code (the .qvm's in zpak000.pk3) are closed source and can only be distributed electronically over the internet, not on cd or dvd. The non-code data files of Urban Terror (zpak000-assets.pk3) and Instead of ASE, you can just use Qtracker. It supports Urban Terror 4.1. — Slightly outdated

• Game Manual : Quick Start
    • We know that reading manuals is not what you want to do. In order to play now, download the game — The link to urbanterror.info/docs/texts/110/ gives you an error message (“You are not authorized to see this page.”)
    • We also recommend you visit the official Urban Terror Forums — forum.urbanterror.info/ doesn’t exist nor does it redirect to the correct address (being a typo in the first place, should’ve been forums)

• Game Manual : Controls
    • Lots of commands are missing defaults (like +attack, lawl)
    • <i>/bind x ut_radio 1 1</i> (x being any key you choose and with spaces between the 1 and the 1. — HTML tags; unnecessary explanation (binding radio commands is covered elsewhere… well, sort of, it’s located in this missing chunk mentioned below)
    • <i>/cg_fov 90</i> — HTML tags
    • cl_maxpackets: Range 20-42. — Outdated
    • Sar's Q3 Config Generator — Dead link

• Game Manual : Scripting
    • The examples use Quake echo instead of the proper ut_echo
    • Visit The Bind:Arena to see some examples of some really cool scripts and Commander Keen's Quake 3 Arena Console Page for all the different console commands and variables you might need while writing your scripts and Upset Chaps Quake3 & Team Arena Guide for additional information. — All links dead
    • I put all of my scripts into an autoexec.cfg. If you don't know how to put one together, visit the Tweaking Your Controls:Making an Autoexec section for a quick lesson. (ADD THIS LINK & SECTION) — Yeah, wouldn’t hurt
    • If you would like to learn more about modifying your config file, we recommend: — Again all links dead

• Game Manual : User Interface
    • Most screenshots are from 4.0 or its pre-release versions
    • Add Bot: Allows you to add bots to single player games. — No such menu in 4.x
    • Options: <MODIFIES OTHER STUFF, NEED TO CHECK> — Well, it’s not like the manual is going to go anywhere, take your time:-P
    • Both methods will show you a visual re — This is the missing chunk repeatedly pointed out by several people; it’s caused by the parser being slightly special and eating [everything between brackets]. See an older Wayback copy for what this page should look like. That’s not the only place where it happens, see below.
    • In the first pane, you are on the blue team, — The first and third image mentioned in the text did exist up to 2010
    • Using cg_maptoggle — Should be a sub-heading
    • You can view a video of powersliding, here. — Dead link
    • You can toggle the laser sight, silencer and tactical goggles in Urban Terror by pressing the use item key. — You can now specify the item
    • Hold down the walk forward or backpedal key when you press the 'ut_opendoor key'. — ut_opendoor has never existed, it’s +button7
    • For weapon specific information see Section 7.2. — This was a typo even when it was added (should’ve been 6.2), and the actual section today is urbanterror.info/support/119-weapons/#2

• Game Manual : Weapons
    • Glock, Colt and Mac are missing
    • Caliber: 7.62 x 29 — It's 7.62×39
    • Each weapon is assigned an identification number. — Some of the numbers have been wrong since someone “fixed” the gap where flashbangs had been half a dozen years earlier. See the DSWP wiki for an up-to-date table.
    • bind x "ut_weaptoggle ", bind x "ut_weaptoggle ", bind "ut_weaptoggle primary secondary" — Again, those evil brackets

• Game Manual : Levels / maps
    • The list lacks Abbey CTF, Bohemia, Cascade, Company, Docks, Dressing Room, Firing Range, Ghosttown, Herring, Kingpin, Prague v2, Raiders, Ricochet, Snoppis, Urban Horror; the Uptown screenshot comes from 3.0:-P

• Game Manual : Game modes
    • Urban Terror comes complete with seven game modes. — Nine at the moment (the list lacks LMS and jump)

• Game Manual : Auth / accounts
    • Click this link and follow the clear instruction to get your auth key sent to you by email. You key will be emailed to the address that is on your account. — I don’t think these keys have ever been sent by e-mail?

• Server Admin : Map Cycles
    • {

}
      — Evil brackets
    • The is the name of any Urban Terror server CVAR (eg: g_gametype) — Evil brackets

• Server Admin : Server CVARs
    • Lots of cvars missing (like g_autobalance)
    • set g_gear "0" and This server CVAR is g_gear and is set to zero, which is the default condition. — No bitmask anymore, set to empty
    • For a description of all the Quake III Arena CVARs see Command Keen's Quake 3 Console Page. — Dead link

• Server Admin : Administration
    • Lots of them evil brackets, see a Wayback copy for what this page looked like back in the day
    • /rcon status (this is to get a list of players and their user numbers) — Only the comand should be in monospace font

• Server Admin : Auth system
    • Warning ! — Why warning? Would something terrible happen if you tried this on 4.1?
    • In the future this setting will keep a server protected from officially banned cheaters. NB: This setting will only be available when Anti-Cheat has been successfully implemented in Urban Terror. — The future is here I gather:-P

• Server Admin : Game bots
    • Those evil brackets strike again (can’t be arsed to dig out a Wayback copy if one exists at all, those frequent URL changes have ensured that most archived manual pages are either error messages or redirects to error messages)
    • Not every map in UT4 has bot support, the following do: — Incomplete list

This is just the beginning. Would you like to know… more?
dswp.de

#5 User is offline   thelionroars Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: thelionroars

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:42 AM

You should just write the copy yourself JRandomNoob and submit it to FS. I doubt there is anyone more qualified to do it than you.

View PostJRandomNoob, on 26 January 2014 - 11:57 PM, said:

This is just the beginning. Would you like to know… more?

That depends. Will there be 1997 Denise Richards?

Posted Image

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Nitro Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: nitro
  • Main tag: |P|

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:54 AM

We were considering moving it all to a wiki, allowing others to provide needed changes as we progress from version to version with major changes.

I will discuss it with the team and look into hopefully next weekend.
Lian Li pc-o11dw Der 8auer Edition · Gigabyte x570 Aorus Xtreme · AMD Ryzen 9 5950x 16-Core
32GB DDR4 3800MHz CL16 · 2x 1TB Samsung NVMe RAID 0 · 16GB Radeon RX 6900XT Liquid Cooled

#7 User is offline   Kolossus Icon

• Account: kolossus

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:27 PM

View PostNitro, on 27 January 2014 - 02:54 AM, said:

We were considering moving it all to a wiki, allowing others to provide needed changes as we progress from version to version with major changes.

It's a good idea, since it would help evenly spread the load of work among more people. That way, the actual FS team can focus more on the game. :)

#8 User is online   JRandomNoob Icon

Community Moderator

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:19 AM

Am I the only one who’s seeing broken signatures? There’s no pattern to it (it doesn’t matter whether you’re FS, a mod, QA or a peon), but it’s not completely random (only some people suffer from this and it doesn’t change over time).

Posted Image
Posted Image

My sig is fine, but the preview is broken:

Posted Image

At first I thought that’s an unintended side effect of fixing the brackets issue in the manual, but that’s still there…

CSS issue: the first link in a signature is the same color as the rest of the text.

• Server Admin : Server CVARs
    • Gears calculator to find the correct number. and Check allowVote calculator to find the correct number. — The links point to non-existent anchors (2.2 and 2.3 should be 1.2 and 1.3, respectively) and open in _blank.

• Game Manual : User Interface
    • Without the aide of a medkit players can heal back to 40% health and 80% with the medkit. — It’s 50% and 90%.
    • Alternate Firing Modes — Should be a subheading.

Nitpick: Libyan flag hasn’t been plain green since 2011.
dswp.de

#9 User is offline   thelionroars Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: thelionroars

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:05 AM

I have noticed Nitro's broken sig.

#10 User is offline   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:51 PM

i have also noticed that, though my signature worked most of the time.
For Barbatos sig it might be that he used

[url="https://twitter..."]Link text[/url]

• i had it happen on other sites using mybb that the links (and the whole [url=] thing with a manual link text) only worked WITHOUT ' " '
  • might be that https:// requires a https://www. (e.g. my firefox does not resolve [i]https://gmx.net but [i]https://www.gmx.net

might be that

[url=https://www.twitter.com]Twitter[/url]

works.

but also i have noticed that the avatars/profile pics aren't shown some time (on my Samsung note 10.1 with Firefox) probably is a problem with the device/config though.

//edit Iye,
added an example

This post has been edited by Iye: 15 February 2014 - 03:53 PM

Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.frozensand.com/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942